Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh yes...he has tweeted about Tesla a few times, but he hasn’t spoke on the “holiday update” in over a month. I hope it comes soon as well but logic tells me it will be delayed.

There's also an absence of any sort of leak -- no bad photos on Twitter, no rumors, etc.

I just can't reconcile the need to test V11 across a lot of people / vehicles in order for it to be "ready for primetime" against the fact that there have been zero leaks -- I'm certainly hoping Tesla is that good with secrecy and we do get it tomorrow ... but I'm also not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:
There's also an absence of any sort of leak -- no bad photos on Twitter, no rumors, etc. I just can't reconcile the need to test V11 across a lot of people / vehicles in order for it to be "ready for primetime" against the fact that there have been zero leaks -- I'm certainly hoping Tesla is that good with secrecy and we do get it tomorrow ... but I'm also not getting my hopes up.
Agreed!!!

I, for one, would like to see some improvement in the Autopilot suite. I just got my new MYP FSD on Friday, and I must say that the Autopilot jump from my old 2015 HW1.0 Model S to the HW 3.0 FSD Model Y are very disappointing . . .
The thing still hunts around, weaves out to center if the lane widens, can't negotiate intersections that aren't a + shape, and on my way to work, just disconnected because it sensed "poor weather conditions". It was raining. In Seattle.
People who are deluded into thinking that they will buy a FSD Tesla and use it as an "autonomous taxi" are living in LaLa land.

I, for one, would like to see some improvement in the Autopilot suite. I just got my new MYP FSD on Friday, and I must say that the Autopilot jump from my old 2015 HW1.0 Model S to the HW 3.0 FSD Model Y are very disappointing . . .
The thing still hunts around, weaves out to center if the lane widens, can't negotiate intersections that aren't a + shape, and on my way to work, just disconnected because it sensed "poor weather conditions". It was raining. In Seattle.
People who are deluded into thinking that they will buy a FSD Tesla and use it as an "autonomous taxi" are living in LaLa land.
I also have an AP1 Model X and a FSD Y.
The only people that live in LaLa Land are the ones that can say that AP1 in any way is better or even close to what we have with AP FSD today (not even talking about the FSD Beta that some folks have).

Oh, and Charlotte gets ~5" (42" vs 37") more of rain per year than Seattle! We just don't have to stretch it out into long gloomy overcast weeks to get it over with!

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude

Have you reviewed any of the FSD beta videos on YouTube? Sure its not a self-driving taxi, but its a huge leap in autopilot capabilities. Also, HW3 doesn't, by itself, make any difference to the current Autopilot, since that's software/NN. What it does is enable the new FSD features you are seeing in the FSD beta (since that relies on the far more powerful hardware of HW3). Finally, the existing NoA will almost certainly be re-worked to use the new BEV/NN stack after FSD is done, which should bring the same dramatic improvements to highway driving you will see with city streets.

Reactions: Phlier
Ok, so we can't really go by what happened last year. With just days left this year ... and a lot of people likely on vacation, wonder whether Tesla would just push the V11 out to next year. But then, I remember Tesla putting out a fairly big release just before a holiday - so who knows ?!

Reactions: Cyclegamer
Ok, so we can't really go by what happened last year. With just days left this year ... and a lot of people likely on vacation, wonder whether Tesla would just push the V11 out to next year. But then, I remember Tesla putting out a fairly big release just before a holiday - so who knows ?!

V10 came out in September, but there was a separate Holiday update on Christmas eve (12/24/2019) with a ton of features. New games, camp mode, TRAX, Smart Summon, the FSD Visualization Preview, text message display/replies, a rewrite of the voice command stack, etc. The holiday updates have traditionally come right before Christmas, hence the speculation of Tuesday (tomorrow). Elon has never called it V11 - internet people have dubbed it that, but Elon has referred to the "holiday update" and said it will be fire.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1328966577862172672?s=20

V10 came out in September, but there was a separate Holiday update on Christmas eve (12/24/2019) with a ton of features. New games, camp mode, TRAX, Smart Summon, the FSD Visualization Preview, text message display/replies, a rewrite of the voice command stack, etc. The holiday updates have traditionally come right before Christmas, hence the speculation of Tuesday (tomorrow). Elon has never called it V11 - internet people have dubbed it that, but Elon has referred to the "holiday update" and said it will be fire.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1328966577862172672?s=20

Honestly, the set of features launched in the holiday update last year were all poorly implemented. All of it is clunky or sluggish, even today. I don't have any high hopes for anything worthwhile coming with a 2020 holiday update

Robotaxi has always been a longshot. Noone should be buying FSD Tesla thinking they will put it on robotaxi service anytime soon. Likely the car will be pretty old before that becomes possible.

We all know that that will not be possible for a decade or more. I would be THRILLED if my car drove most of the way to work with no interventions.

But the car being in charge of itself? That's comic book stuff. I've had Autopilot since 2015, and now I have "FSD".

It might work during the day in the sunlight (but not TOO much sunlight) on well-marked roads without too much traffic.

But at night? In the rain? In the snow? On poorly marked roads? It's just a dream . . . .

Reactions: drtimhill
Honestly, the set of features launched in the holiday update last year were all poorly implemented. All of it is clunky or sluggish, even today. I don't have any high hopes for anything worthwhile coming with a 2020 holiday update

Maybe my standards are lower since I'm a nerd who's used to beta stuff, but I'm REALLY pleased with the updates my car has gotten since I bought it last September. Some things were annoying when they were missing (text message support), some things have occasional glitches (spotify), but all of them give me functionality I didn't have when I got the car (better performance, native spotify instead of having to rely on bluetooth, more suspension adjustability and stats, locking glovebox, venting my windows from the app). I prefer the agile methodology as a consumer and would rather get these things in a Minimally Shippable Version than wait for traditional waterfall or even non-existent updates. I do think Tesla appeals to a different class of driver - I'm just glad I'm at the intersection of "tech nerd" and "car nerd" to appreciate it in spite of the warts :)

But at night? In the rain? In the snow? On poorly marked roads? It's just a dream . . . .
So was the moon. Yet we made it there. Using 1960's technology.

Sure, there will continue to be instances where FSD isn't going to replace a human, but how often does the majority of the population drive on snow covered, poorly marked roads, at night?

I think that a healthy amount of skepticism is exactly that: healthy. But using edge cases to completely discount the tech is a bit disingenuous.

Sure, there will continue to be instances where FSD isn't going to replace a human, but how often does the majority of the population drive on snow covered, poorly marked roads, at night?

I think that a healthy amount of skepticism is exactly that: healthy. But using edge cases to completely discount the tech is a bit disingenuous.

I think there's a weird expectation (evident in the armchair quarterbacking of the FSD thread) that FSD is worthless until it's perfect everywhere. Even after watching the videos, I would already trust FSD driving itself over 35% of the drivers on the road :)

The only real requirement for reasonable self driving is "don't hit anything [at least not much more often than a human would]" - everything else is convenience, technicality, or liability related. If a car's cameras get blinded, it can stop with its blinkers on, just like the guy I watched behind me on the interstate last week when a giant sheet of tyvek wrap fell off a truck and landed right on the driver's windshield. He put his flashers on, used the other info available (his "right fender camera" by looking out the passenger rear window), and made his way to the shoulder and stopped. Worst case it stops in the middle of the road until help arrives. Similarly, two weeks ago in my area, a motorist struck a chair that fell off a truck, got out of their car [perhaps to pull the chair out of the road?] and was struck and killed. So it's not like humans should be expected to go self-fix all these calamities that the nay-sayers fear.

My Autopilot turned off this morning. In the rain. In Seattle. On the freeway.

That isn’t an edge case. That’s lack of capability.