Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a really good glitch on autopilot today. I'm on the highway in the HOV lane and the car randomly dropped to 35mph. This is in NY traffic so I am lucky it didn't cause an accident.

The navigation got confused and had randomly determined I was on a side street a couple blocks away from the highway. Because of that it decided the speed limit was 35mph.

It fixed itself maybe after a mile or two.

The fender cameras are susceptible to water build-up which blurs their view. My MX looses NoA capability on > 1 hr freeway drives in moderate to heavy rain. I get messages that the left or right forward cameras are obscured or not functional, and when I stop to check they look fine with nothing blocking them. I've reviewed recorded fender camera data and observed the blurred view.

I'm not sure what to do about this, but Tesla should be working on some sort of fix if they expect FSD to work in rainy conditions.
Agreed. I will get the cameras blocked messages every once in a while, but there is no lasting message when the NoAP turns off. Just the ding and your out haha. Always throws me off, because I'm not sure what it was at first

Screenshots below

Attachments

• 27938CD2-625E-46EE-9216-926A79AA6426.png
    27938CD2-625E-46EE-9216-926A79AA6426.png
    629.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 3E1ECA82-0B4B-48FB-A847-CC8C132E3224.png
    3E1ECA82-0B4B-48FB-A847-CC8C132E3224.png
    480.9 KB · Views: 86
I also have an AP1 Model X and a FSD Y.
The only people that live in LaLa Land are the ones that can say that AP1 in any way is better or even close to what we have with AP FSD today (not even talking about the FSD Beta that some folks have).

Oh, and Charlotte gets ~5" (42" vs 37") more of rain per year than Seattle! We just don't have to stretch it out into long gloomy overcast weeks to get it over with!
I didn’t say AP1 was better! What a weird interpretation! I just expected a lot more improvement. Also, my comment about the rain was that that is a normal condition that I would expect HW 3.0 to deal with.
In addition, my pillar cameras fogged up yesterday morning, turning off the Autopilot.
But the real kicker to me was it not being able to negotiate a skewed intersection. I’ve only had the car a few days, and I’m a Tesla veteran, so I’ll be patient. However, first impressions are I should have passed on FSD. Oh well.

However, first impressions are I should have passed on FSD. Oh well.

Good things come to those who wait ... Unfortunately the current FSD "experience" as it sits is a dead-end. The software is about as good as it's going to get - you won't see any improvements, really. The software is really limited as it scans everything in 2 dimensions.

That's the bad news.

The good news is that the "FSD Re-Write" is in active beta testing and is right around the corner for the rest of us. It's a fundamental difference -- "New FSD" scans everything in 4 dimensions - X, Y, Z axis and over time. That's a fundamental game-changer and where Tesla is spending 100% of their FSD efforts.

So I guess my point is... I wouldn't be too disappointed based on the current FSD. Yep, it's not great, and it never will be. That's why it's getting replaced. As Tom Petty said... "The waiting is the hardest part."

Can't wait, personally, to get my hands on 4D FSD. It's shaping up to be a monumental shift.

So we all already have it?!?!?!

Oh, that's absolutely possible. And then all they have to do is flip a bit to enable whatever's new.

That's my suspicion. Given how hard and fast 2020.48.12.1 got pushed out across the entire fleet ... I'm going to guess we already have whatever's new and they're just going to flip the switch soon.

Just a guess, but look at how "uniform" the fleet is with this software push. Probably the most uniform we've seen it in a long time ...

TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker

Oh, that's absolutely possible. And then all they have to do is flip a bit to enable whatever's new.

That's my suspicion. Given how hard and fast 2020.48.12.1 got pushed out across the entire fleet ... I'm going to guess we already have whatever's new and they're just going to flip the switch soon.

Just a guess, but look at how "uniform" the fleet is with this software push. Probably the most uniform we've seen it in a long time ...

If that was the case you would think @verygreen GreenTheOnly would have already alerted us via Twitter. He usually tears the FW updates apart for any hint of hidden nuggets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is definitely possible, and something Elon would do. Also I don’t think I’ve ever seen the screen say “unwrapping present”. Has it always said that?