Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find the whole arcade section useless. If I’m supercharging, I just go to the nearby shops or Netflix. I’d rather that whole section just be removed to free up memory/space and make Netflix etc run more efficient

I’d rather Tesla use the space devoted to games for more onboard dash cam or sentry recording space, so that the USB drive is optional for both. I already have all the games I could possibly want on my iPhone or iPad. Or how about devote some of their lean resources on eliminating phantom braking or adding blind spot monitoring? What about improving quality control and at least have someone inspect the cars for obvious flaws before delivery? Why not add CarPlay or Android Auto? My teenage kids tell me that the fart app is the stupidest thing they’ve ever seen.

Even the Tesla Netflix app is way slower than on my phone, to the where I don’t bother with any of the in car apps. Not too mention the Tesla browser, which is non compliant with Android nor IOS syncing or plugins.

I’d rather Tesla use the space devoted to games for more onboard dash cam or sentry recording space, so that the USB drive is optional for both. I already have all the games I could possibly want on my iPhone or iPad. Or how about devote some of their lean resources on eliminating phantom braking or adding blind spot monitoring? What about improving quality control and at least have someone inspect the cars for obvious flaws before delivery? Why not add CarPlay or Android Auto? My teenage kids tell me that the fart app is the stupidest thing they’ve ever seen.

Even the Tesla Netflix app is way slower than on my phone, to the where I don’t bother with any of the in car apps. Not too mention the Tesla browser, which is non compliant with Android nor IOS syncing or plugins.

Yawn. Getting tired of all the complaining.

a) you don’t want to use the internal flash for the dashcam. The cells aren’t designed for that kind of continuous write.
b) the folks working on these games aren’t the same as working on the FSD stack. We all know the current stack has hit its limit so gotta deal with it till the new code launches. Should improve Autopilot greatly.
c) no thanks to CarPlay and AA. Had them in my last car and I’d rather have a decent built in stack.
d) my kid likes the fart app. So what? Sorry if we’re uncouth.

Some additional detail is available at 2020.48.25 Official Tesla Release Notes - Tesla Software Updates
Screenshot release notes 2020-12-24 132326.jpg

So I’m understanding your obviously informed suggestions to be:

1) write dashcam footage to permanently soldered storage space buried in the dash instead of “wasting” it on games

2) Tell the game and UI developers that they’re now autonomous driving developers, because you know, programmers are programmers

3) Maybe if the game developers turn out to be crappy autonomous driving developers, put them on the assembly line to look for paint defects

4) CarPlay

Hmm.

Your kids sound like they’d be real fun at a party.

I don't really care too much for Android Auto. I have it in my other car and can't say it's significantly better. The Spotify integration sucks, for example, but in the Tesla it works really well.

There are a few features from AA/CarPlay that would be really, really nice though:
- Speed trap warnings
- Readout/reply to messengers (Telegram, Whataspp, etc etc)
- Always-on voice commands (no need to press a button)

I don't really care too much for Android Auto. I have it in my other car and can't say it's significantly better. The Spotify integration sucks, for example, but in the Tesla it works really well.

There are a few features from AA/CarPlay that would be really, really nice though:
- Speed trap warnings
- Readout/reply to messengers (Telegram, Whataspp, etc etc)
- Always-on voice commands (no need to press a button)

I've only found CarPlay to be "good" when compared to most first-party infotainment systems, which are generally truly awful. The Tesla system is "good" also, so I'd not be inclined often to use CarPlay. It has its own drawbacks, and is generally designed for ~8" screens, so would look ridiculous on the Tesla displays.

Reactions: BHouse and dmurphy
I've only found CarPlay to be "good" when compared to most first-party infotainment systems, which are generally truly awful. The Tesla system is "good" also, so I'd not be inclined often to use CarPlay. It has its own drawbacks, and is generally designed for ~8" screens, so would look ridiculous on the Tesla displays.

Tesla’s infotainment is sluggish, lacking in features, and generally very clumsy. At least Android Auto is integrated for most common services and enables each driver to use their own accounts easily, something Tesla is absolutely TERRIBLE with

I would disagree since with CarPlay you’re able to do more, ie control your home from Siri, read/compose WhatsApp messages, use google maps (don’t need to pay for prem connectivity) and much more as more and more devs are enabling CarPlay support for their apps. I used CarPlay on my Ram with the the 12” screen and it wasn’t bad at all, esp since I was able to have the top or bottom screen and still have half the screen for the trucks native apps/infotainment. The same could go for Tesla too, you could get the best of both worlds.

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Frankly I find CarPlay to be FAR superior to any in car dash system I have used..across lines like BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, Toyota or Ford/GM. The universality of the CarPlay capability and the constantly improving capability will allow it to consintuously improve over time, whereas any in car system can pretty much just count on mapping or Nav content updates. The full Siri integration makes it very easy to interact with and a user can customize their layout and favorites for use very easily. With messaging, Spotify, most streaming services and even mail access CarPlay is really unparalleled. With the ability to do google maps, AND overlay a running WAZE mapping/route optimization is really a great new feature. I would REALLY appreciate a tesla CarPlay integration but doubt it will happen.

I just did a. 36 hour cannonball across the county and the CarPlay integration in a rental car was a blessing to have and use. While I’ve used it for a few years now, with iOS 14 and some of the new enhancements and the Waze enablement really saved my b..t more than once.!

Exactly right. I had a 2013 Cadillac with their CUE system. It was a dog. I then had a 2017 XT5 which added CarPlay. Made it tolerable-ish. Was worried I’d miss it in Model 3. Not for one second!

Tell me CarPlay people ... are lists still limited to 12 items? That alone makes it neigh useless IMO.

It really doesn't need to be either CarPlay/AndroidAuto or Tesla. This being a Tesla, the Tesla interface will always be there; just give the option to have CarPlay/AndroidAuto for those who prefer it for the wide variety of apps and integration with the rest of the phone ecosystem.

I find Android auto and CarPlay silly and would rather they use space on the flash for more games.