Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is does @diplomat33 have any regrets. I thought that was pretty obvious as that’s what my post says.
You said that @diplomat33 should have regrets about sharing information and speculation, in a thread specifically designed for that, but in a smarmy way.

This thread should just be locked and deleted at this point 🤪

Our Tesla is great, but I do feel that Tesla's software development has stagnated a bit recently. It is nothing that causes me any big concern, given that the software is already very good (aside from the windshield wiper controls, together with a few things of a minor nature), but I had sort of expected that it would get better still. That has not really happened in the year since we bought our Model 3.

Our Tesla is great, but I do feel that Tesla's software development has stagnated a bit recently. It is nothing that causes me any big concern, given that the software is already very good (aside from the windshield wiper controls, together with a few things of a minor nature), but I had sort of expected that it would get better still. That has not really happened in the year since we bought our Model 3.

I wouldn't confuse lack of visibility with stagnation. It's abundantly clear that they're doing a ton of work to the "back end" of things -- the transition to "pure vision" for example is a monster job. There's likely a front end UI update to go along with a bunch of those changes, including FSD visualizations and such - that's sitting "in the can" waiting for the backend to be ready.

At least, that's my speculation. Given that all we've seen the first half of the year have been small fixes to a single branch of code - from the 4th week of January - it's clear to me that's a "sustaining support" effort only. All the real work is going into something we haven't seen yet. That's very different from being stagnant; the curtain just hasn't been pulled back for us yet.

That a global supply chain shortage caused Tesla to shift gears to completely rewrite their Tesla Vision stack so they could continue to ship their volume cars without radar, and we should therefore hold changing events against anyone who speculated or shared information prior to that?
What! Tesla stated they changed to Pure Vision to eliminate the integration problems of radar.
I'm not aware of any Tesla rep. indicating parts shortage as a reason for the change...your source?

This is a lot of other threads but it needs to be here as well.

View attachment 666309

Lol...

What! Tesla stated they changed to Pure Vision to eliminate the integration problems of radar.
I'm not aware of any Tesla rep. indicating parts shortage as a reason for the change...your source?

Uhm no. They kept radar in the Model S refresh since they care about the safety of their wealthy customers. Model 3/Y blue collar peasant owners can YOLO on Autopilot with vision only.

Lol...

Uhm no. They kept radar in the Model S refresh since they care about the safety of their wealthy customers. Model 3/Y blue collar peasant owners can YOLO on Autopilot with vision only.
That does speak to the fact they either rushed Tesla Vision to the extent they felt safe doing so (auto-high beams, turning off some functions in FSD, like Smart Summon) and left radar for their premium range. But I have a really hard time seeing them spend 5-months and arguably a lot more, of development time on vision systems to replace radar data and not intending to unify on that stack for all their vehicles. Probably they just wanted to continue giving their premium customers access to same feature set that all cars prior to radar shortages/current vision system limitations has and continue to have -- at least for the time being.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
What's your point? That a global supply chain shortage caused Tesla to shift gears to completely rewrite their Tesla Vision stack so they could continue to ship their volume cars without radar, and we should therefore hold changing events against anyone who speculated or shared information prior to that?

Things change, and the way this crowd reacts to changes makes it clear that very few have ever worked in a large engineering or production organization and takes everything Tesla does personally.
So Tesla's decision to go pure vision and ditch radar was made because of the chip shortage?

So Tesla's decision to go pure vision and ditch radar was made because of the chip shortage?
No, the decision to drop radar in 2021 from Model 3/Y in NA market was because of the chip shortage.

The decision to go pure vision has been inside Tesla since at least 2018!
relevant tweets:
November 2018:
December 2018
August 2020

Last edited:

Yes stagnant for sure...

I love my car...the software as is is also fine.

The problem is expectations...

You set expectations by implementing fairly regular and meaningful software updates prior to this year. You set expectations when you say there will be a part 2 of a "fire fire" update. I think the community as a whole would appreciate a little insight as to whats going on. Elon obviously has no issue giving insight as to what the company has coming in other areas ie FSD. Though timelines are obviously being missed on it, I think people certainly appreciate the fact there are some somewhat regular updates as to whats going on. Why not let everyone know whats going on with software refresh? He had no problem hyping up the ultimately disappointing "holiday update" and has since gone silent on the topic.

At the end of the day these kinda things are essentially meaningless in the grand scheme of life. But expectations are expectations...and everyones always looking forward to something.

What's your point? That a global supply chain shortage caused Tesla to shift gears to completely rewrite their Tesla Vision stack so they could continue to ship their volume cars without radar, and we should therefore hold changing events against anyone who speculated or shared information prior to that?

Things change, and the way this crowd reacts to changes makes it clear that very few have ever worked in a large engineering or production organization and takes everything Tesla does personally.
Hold up. You actually believe that’s why there is a shift? You have to be chugging the koolaid to believe that a shortage was so specific to radar alone to completely change the approach. Did Elon spew some BS excuse like this that I missed?
I actually work in the tech industry shipping new hardware at least yearly with an active customer base in the tens of millions. I plan tech projects for a living. If something like this V11 debacle played out after a public statement of a holiday release that is now well past 6 months late, tons of leaders would have been straight up fired.

Last edited:
Hold up. You actually believe that’s why there is a shift? You have to be chugging the koolaid to believe that a shortage was so specific to radar alone to completely change the approach. Did Elon spew some BS excuse like this that I missed?
Nope, just conspiracy theories everywhere.
Never mind that they’ve been talking about this happening since 2018; don’t let facts get in the way of a “wow Tesla is trying to screw me!!11!!11!” theory.

Nope, just conspiracy theories everywhere.
Never mind that they’ve been talking about this happening since 2018; don’t let facts get in the way of a “wow Tesla is trying to screw me!!11!!11!” theory.
Literally nobody is claiming Tesla is trying to screw people intentionally regarding a V11 delay, so you can cut that nonsense off. Yes, there has been talk of moving to vision only for a long time. That is not in any way the cause of V11 now being over 6 months past when Elon proudly proclaimed it would be available. Do I think Elon intentionally lied? No. However, Elon should be held accountable for constantly claiming timelines that don’t even remotely match the eventual reality. His batting average is pure bullshit on this stuff. The idea that some of the die-hard Tesla fans here refuse to desire accountability from the head of the company is disturbing. That’s what a cult is like

Literally nobody is claiming Tesla is trying to screw people intentionally regarding a V11 delay, so you can cut that nonsense off. Yes, there has been talk of moving to vision only for a long time. That is not in any way the cause of V11 now being over 6 months past when Elon proudly proclaimed it would be available. Do I think Elon intentionally lied? No. However, Elon should be held accountable for constantly claiming timelines that don’t even remotely match the eventual reality. His batting average is pure bullshit on this stuff. The idea that some of the die-hard Tesla fans here refuse to desire accountability from the head of the company is disturbing. That’s what a cult is like

I’m talking about the move to pure vision - the idea that they did it because of a radar part shortage is just wild theory and has no basis in reality. That’s been in the works for years. Sorry if we got the streams crossed. Wasn’t talking about V11.

that’s all. V11 is late, FSD is late and that is what it is. I’m willing to be somewhat lenient on that because I’ve spent an entire career in high tech and know that moonshot-type projects aren’t easy and sometimes lead to dead ends, as FSD did, requiring the current rewrite.
But I’m sure not disagreeing with you that the CEO should shut his trap sometimes. :)

That does speak to the fact they either rushed Tesla Vision to the extent they felt safe doing so (auto-high beams, turning off some functions in FSD, like Smart Summon) and left radar for their premium range. But I have a really hard time seeing them spend 5-months and arguably a lot more, of development time on vision systems to replace radar data and not intending to unify on that stack for all their vehicles. Probably they just wanted to continue giving their premium customers access to same feature set that all cars prior to radar shortages/current vision system limitations has and continue to have -- at least for the time being.
Can you imagine if they released their 'fastest production car ever' without radar and limited the speed to 75 mph? The media would have had a field day with that.