Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
Here is a thread on Reddit with some leaks about the rewrite and V11 from someone with inside knowledge:

"There are lots of cool stuff on the way! v11 is actually crazy from the things I’m told. Take a look at the CuberTruck UI for a teaser."

"From my understanding, the rewrite and v11 should be out around the same time. I’m told v11 will be out about a month after the rewrite is complete. Literally don’t take this as any bit fact, but I have a hunch we may see v11 as early as late September. From my understanding v11 is running ahead of schedule. The only reason v11 may be out slightly after the rewrite is if the v11 UI relies on stuff from the rewrite. That’s my theory anyway.

The first version of the rewrite will be about the same as the current AP. A lot of new features will come really fast tho after about the first month. 90-degree turns will be in early access almost straight away. As well as smart summon is getting some huge improvements pretty fast after release. I’ve been saying, new smart summon will drive like a human. People will say “well humans drive bad”. I mean as far as moving in a parking lot. It drives with the flow most humans drive with. Whereas now summon stops randomly in the road and can’t see parking spots. With the rewrite, most people wouldn’t know the car is driving itself unless they see there’s no driver of course. It’ll park and everything like a human."

"What you’re describing with the NOA/lane changing on city streets. That will be around the same time as the 90-degree turns. We’re going to get a lot of “big” updates within a really short time period. From how it was described to me, within a few months we’re going to get multiple of these “big” features. I’d assume that’s why we won’t be getting any new big features until the rewrite is completed.

As far as the no conformation, I meant the feature is ready to go. I’m not sure if we will get this before or after the rewrite. I’d assume after. Also, to be honest I’m not sure if it will just be traffic lights, or lights and stop signs I wasn’t told and didn’t think to ask."

Version 11? : teslamotors

V11 sounds like it is going to be HUGE!

The comments have since been deleted by the user who posted on reddit. I wonder why?

Probably because they are not qualified to speak for tesla, and its a company full of technical people, so it could likely be traced back to them? We all know Elon is a benevolent boss who would never fire an employee that leaked information... right?

Safe to assume this means nothing to AP1 cars? Wonder if they are still working on improving anything there, besides Backgammon...
I would assume that for AP1, this is overall going to somehow be worse: more nags, slow and laggy, worse UI, more clicks, less on-screen info, etc. I'm guessing that the reason the MCU1->MCU2 update even exists is because V11 will virtually require it to work acceptably. I hate being cynical, but that's the pattern.

Will V11 require all Tesla cars to get the new v. 3.0 FSD computer? I wouldn't mind upgrading my 3 from the original 2.5 computer to 3.0, but there's no way in hell I am paying 8 grand for FSD. Maybe I'll try it on subscription for a while.

Probably because they are not qualified to speak for tesla, and its a company full of technical people, so it could likely be traced back to them? We all know Elon is a benevolent boss who would never fire an employee that leaked information... right?
Maybe but I don’t think they are an employee. They have (or had) a YouTube channel but I’m not finding it now. But I agree with how technical it is they could probably trace it back to his source(s).

Will V11 require all Tesla cars to get the new v. 3.0 FSD computer? I wouldn't mind upgrading my 3 from the original 2.5 computer to 3.0, but there's no way in hell I am paying 8 grand for FSD. Maybe I'll try it on subscription for a while.

No, I don't think V11 will require the FSD computer. V11 will undoubtedly have some features that are not related to FSD that won't require the FSD computer. But any Autopilot feature that is related to FSD will certainly require the FSD computer. So basically, if you don't have the FSD computer, you will still get V11, just not everything in V11.

Another reason to purchase the $2500 optional Infotainment Ugrade Package.

I hope it requires MCU/2 because they shouldn’t be spending any more resources on EOL MCU/1 especially if the Infotainment Ugrade Package is available for all Model S/X.
I might agree with this if MCU1 cars were all 8+ years old, but considering some are just over 2 years old, seems pretty messed up to stop supporting that already, especially if someone forked out over $100k for their car.

I might agree with this if MCU1 cars were all 8+ years old, but considering some are just over 2 years old, seems pretty messed up to stop supporting that already, especially if someone forked out over $100k for their car.

Don't remember reading the fine print when i purchased my vehicle that mentioned you would be entitled to endless software upgrades free of charge.

Mehhhh maybe im wrong.

Very exciting news for the people who purchased newer Tesla vehicles or have upgraded their software.

Last edited:

Note: They aren't stopping support. I'm sure that MCU/1 will continue to get security patch releases... but new features, new investment should NOT happen on that old platform. It's 2012 tech, and it's stretched as far as can go. They will continue to support it from a security patch perspective, but all new investment into the "cool" stuff like v11 and the new turn signal repeater camera view will only be MCU/2.

BTW, with my late 2017 Model S, I decided 5 months ago to do the Infotainment Ugrade Package even though I'm still under warranty. It was the best $2500 I spent to date on my Model S.

URL = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Note: They aren't stopping support. I'm sure that MCU/1 will continue to get security patch releases... but new features, new investment should NOT happen on that old platform. It's 2012 tech, and it's stretched as far as can go. They will continue to support it from a security patch perspective, but all new investment into the "cool" stuff like v11 and the new turn signal repeater camera view will only be MCU/2.

BTW, with my late 2017 Model S, I decided 5 months ago to do the Infotainment Ugrade Package even though I'm still under warranty. It was the best $2500 I spent to date on my Model S.

URL = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

I totally understand. It’s not like I want anyone to have to fork over $2500 for an upgrade and I also understand the tech is outdated and stretched to its limits. It sucks overall for anyone because Tesla was putting such old tech into newer cars, though it is nice to at least have that option.

I personally don’t care either easy as I have a model 3, but I can imagine that some people who bought a model S/X 2 years ago could be bothered. And maybe not, if they can afford that, maybe $2500 isn’t a big deal.

Don't remember reading the fine print when i purchased my vehicle that mentioned you would be entitled to endless software upgrades free of charge.

Mehhhh maybe im wrong.

Very exciting news for the people who purchased newer Tesla

Right, I wasn’t looking at it as always getting free upgrades. I was just trying to put myself in the shoes of someone who forked over a ton of money for an S/X fairly recently and now could be stuck on the same software as cars that were made 8 years ago. Has Tesla ever done that before (Genuine question)?
And maybe I just understood it wrong. If they can still get updates just not all the same features then that makes sense if the computer simply can’t handle it. But if I had bought a car and everyone was saying that their 8 year old car was still getting updates and then suddenly after 2 years my car didn’t get any? Because that’s what was being talked about V11 requiring MCU2.

Reactions: APotatoGod