Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 Map Zoom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All!

I share many (all) of the same frustrations as most regarding the v11 software update. One of the many now-broken UX elements that I haven't found a workaround for is the zoom setting of the map. With the +/- icons now removed, I haven't found a method to zoom in and maintain vehicle tracking. Given some of the routes I navigate, the "Tesla- knows-best" zoom setting doesn't always cut it.

Is there something I'm missing? Are these icons revealed through a new secret combo of swipes, taps, and voice commands?

Grateful for any input :)

r.

Hello All!

I share many (all) of the same frustrations as most regarding the v11 software update. One of the many now-broken UX elements that I haven't found a workaround for is the zoom setting of the map. With the +/- icons now removed, I haven't found a method to zoom in and maintain vehicle tracking. Given some of the routes I navigate, the "Tesla- knows-best" zoom setting doesn't always cut it.

Is there something I'm missing? Are these icons revealed through a new secret combo of swipes, taps, and voice commands?

r.
Double-click on the map will make it zoom in. Pinch to zoom out.

Precisely the problem I have with this. My favorite orientation was 'North' 'Centered' and 'Zoomed In' when on a residential street so the arrow was pointing towards my windshield at all times and I could see the street names, etc. That seems to be gone, and I cannot possibly fathom why they would remove it.

Precisely the problem I have with this. My favorite orientation was 'North' 'Centered' and 'Zoomed In' when on a residential street so the arrow was pointing towards my windshield at all times and I could see the street names, etc. That seems to be gone, and I cannot possibly fathom why they would remove it.
Tap on the screen once and you’ll see the orientation selection button to the left of the “navigate” search area. Tap on it to change the map orientation.

The setting that makes the arrow point up at all times is “Heading Up”. “North Up” is the other one. But I knew what you meant. 🙂

Hello All!

r.
Absolutely agree. Just got back from a 2000 mile road trip and the loss of the +/- icons on the map was most frustrating. Every time I zoomed in or out by pinching, I lost the north-up orientation. In addition, in navigation mode, if I tried to change the scale, it would revert back to the old scale in a few seconds. This was particularly annoying when, for example, trying to find the best route to get back to the highway after stopping for a charge.

Although there were many other annoyances with v11, the mapping change was the most problematic fo me. I agree with others, that the changes has made driving more dangerous due to the distraction of accessing features on the screen.

I also find the de-centering of the map frustrating. I've notice that if you're very careful you can pinch out and the map will remain centered. However, 90% of the time I am unable to be that careful while driving. I wonder what the rationale was for removing the simple +/- option?

Reactions: apacheguy
Tesla seems to have a default zoom level that draws a 3 mile radius around my vehicle. This is not very useful for looking at freeway traffic here in SoCal. How do I zoom out the map without pinching (which causes the map to become disoriented)?

Elon promised a lot of UX improvement after the 11.0 debacle but the +/- icons remain sorely missed.

Reactions: Falcon73
Elon promised a lot of UX improvement after the 11.0 debacle but the +/- icons remain sorely missed.
They already fixed the most egregious problems they created with 11.0. Elon knows there is a lot more work to do but the focus for now is to get FSD working. Here is an interview published 3 weeks ago:

I think we have a lot of work to do, actually with the basic software in the car. Like our web browser sucks and we definitely need to do work on the overall interface in the car [...] But the overwhelming focus is solving Full Self Driving. [...] That's the difference between Tesla being worth a lot of money and being worth basically zero.

How do I zoom out the map without pinching (which causes the map to become disoriented)?

Try the voice command: Zoom out on the map.

(I haven't tried that one. I'm happy to have learned that "Fresh Air" is how to turn off recirculation and "Mute/Unmute voice guidance" is how to turn navigation speech off/on.)

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73 and BitJam

(I haven't tried that one. I'm happy to have learned that "Fresh Air" is how to turn off recirculation and "Mute/Unmute voice guidance" is how to turn navigation speech off/on.)
Voice navigation works for me about 75% of the time, and that's when I know the correct comman. Having a +/- key on the map seemed pretty reasonable to me. Probably just coincidence, but it seems like it is when I am in a conversation with someone else is when I need to use a voice command, which is less than optimal since it picks up their voices also.

Reactions: Transformer
Voice navigation works for me about 75% of the time, and that's when I know the correct command. Having a +/- key on the map seemed pretty reasonable to me.
I agree!

In addition, I did an overnight trip for July 4th and about 80% of the journey had no cell coverage and thus voice commands were not available. This is not typical but many places where I drive (rural New Mexico) have no coverage.

BTW: the last time I checked the "usb" button on the screen does not remember where you left off playing the last song on the usb. You can get around this with the voice command "switch to usb" which does remember. Unfortunately, I need usb music the most where there is no cell coverage and thus no voice commands.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO

Thanks, I was aware of this one. However, in my case I often want to zoom out 3 or 4 times so it becomes tedious to have to repeat the voice command over and over.