Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - Navigation is unusable at night!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just used navigation at night for the first time since upgrading to V11... I really cannot believe they tested this!

Not only are the streets themselves barely visible (dark grey on black), but there are NO STREET NAMES!
Zooming in manually makes no difference - I just have a black screen with a feint dark grey grid. (this is in downtown San Francisco where you really want to be able to see the street names)

Is this the same for everybody, or do I just have a broken update? Or Is Elon just trying to make it impossible to drive the car without FSD? ;-)

I thought one of the features was a "cleaned up"/empty map, but that you can tap on the pin to turn street names, POIs, etc. back on.
What does 'tap on the pin' mean? And how is a user, driving their car for the first time after an automatic software update, supposed to discover that the 99% useless map needs you to invoke some mystic runes to have it show any useful information on the map?

Really, I find this quite astonishing. (and I work in the software industry myself, so I know how bad it is)

What does 'tap on the pin' mean? And how is a user, driving their car for the first time after an automatic software update, supposed to discover that the 99% useless map needs you to invoke some mystic runes to have it show any useful information on the map?

Really, I find this quite astonishing. (and I work in the software industry myself, so I know how bad it is)
Then you probably know to never install .0 version :)

Reactions: K5TRX and pbar

Did you read the release notes? Wasn't there also a quick walk-through of the changes?

1640928000490.png

I just used navigation at night for the first time since upgrading to V11... I really cannot believe they tested this!

Not only are the streets themselves barely visible (dark grey on black), but there are NO STREET NAMES!
Zooming in manually makes no difference - I just have a black screen with a feint dark grey grid. (this is in downtown San Francisco where you really want to be able to see the street names)

Is this the same for everybody, or do I just have a broken update? Or Is Elon just trying to make it impossible to drive the car without FSD? ;-)
I hadn't noticed this is until I took the family out to drive to see Christmas lights. The main roads are visible, but the side roads are almost completely gone unless you zoom waaay in, and even then the dark grey makes it hard to differentiate.
The problems with V11 are not just about stuff being moved around (see my broken browser thread)

Reactions: Sporty

What are you talking about? The night mode is exactly the same color on the maps as it’s always been.

My Waze default night mode just makes the colors grey black reversed that Tesla does. I like it and prefer it rather some other terrible night/ dark modes some apps have like MS Outlook.

Must be missing something? Maybe since Inwas on Beta there are some different colors in a newer release??

New Model S owner here. There's a detailed nav view on the instrument cluster screen, which does include street names. I found I was just using that, mostly, since the main screen wasn't as useful in night mode since the change.

Coming from a Model 3, I didn' think the instrument cluster screen would be all that useful, but it's terrific!

Reactions: pilotSteve
New Model S owner here. There's a detailed nav view on the instrument cluster screen, which does include street names. I found I was just using that, mostly, since the main screen wasn't as useful in night mode since the change.

Does V11 remove street names and the wipers button from the main screen under the assumption that all Teslas have an S/X instrument cluster and steering wheel controls?

Models 3/Y have a button on the left stalk for a shortcut wipers menu

I've found it challenging to tap the stalk button, switch hands on the steering wheel, find the desired tap target in the wipers panel, and tap it before it disappears. Another thread mentioned tapping the stalk button with the hand that's steering (if you're not turning the wheel) to do this faster. I'll try it next time. Video game skilz?

I've found it challenging to tap the stalk button, switch hands on the steering wheel, find the desired tap target in the wipers panel, and tap it before it disappears. Another thread mentioned tapping the stalk button with the hand that's steering (if you're not turning the wheel) to do this faster. I'll try it next time. Video game skilz?
Haha maybe. I tap it with my driving hand (left) 🤷‍♀️ Never had a problem, but that's always how I used to control the wipers even before v11.

Those instructions say you have to tap the pin to remove map details as a "navigation improvement."

Does the un-simplified map have all the content and readability (e.g. contrast) as in V10?
It brings back street names but not the contrast so street names are still very difficult to see.

Edit I was totally wrong. Street names are still invisible.

Last edited:
It brings back street names but not the contrast so street names are still very difficult to see.
I think that depends on the display on your car. Tesla is not being known for good quality control. My guess is not all the displays were set to same contrast. On my 2 cars, both were very clear on the side streets. Here is a picture of it on Auto brightness. Sorry for the fingerprints heh. I took pictures at 100% and 0% brightness as well but they both look fine and I can clearly see the side streets.

darkmode_mapv11.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
I think that depends on the display on your car. Tesla is not being known for good quality control. My guess is not all the displays were set to same contrast. On my 2 cars, both were very clear on the side streets. Here is a picture of it on Auto brightness. Sorry for the fingerprints heh. I took pictures at 100% and 0% brightness as well but they both look fine and I can clearly see the side streets.

View attachment 750841
I was totally wrong. Street names are very invisible still. This is concerning in my city as these are actually all pretty major streets.

Attachments

• C75BBAE8-A849-4175-84D3-C40915F520E6.jpeg
    C75BBAE8-A849-4175-84D3-C40915F520E6.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 98