Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buckle up your seatbelt. Put car in reverse. Tap the new big homelink button on the bottom left of the screen, not the garage icon on top of screen.
If you tap the home link button while on reverse, the camera disappears, only to be replaced by the Car Menu, where the home link screen asks you to press again, and only then does it activate. Does it activate for you automatically from the screen showing the backup camera while in reverse???

If you tap the home link button while on reverse, the camera disappears, only to be replaced by the Car Menu, where the home link screen asks you to press again, and only then does it activate. Does it activate for you automatically from the screen showing the backup camera while in reverse???

Homelink will pop up a quick access menu at the bottom left of the screen (a common new behavior of V11) when you are in proximity to one of your devices. Use this button instead of the green Homelink icon at the top of the screen (which also only displays based on location).

Excluding the off function, the touch targets for the quick wiper controls (the options that pop up when you click the button on the end of the turn signal stalk) are identical in size to the previous version.

V11 adds new wiper buttons to the main car settings page. These new controls are 70% larger than the previous wiper controls in the disappearing card.
DrDabbles isn't interested in your factual replies Big Earl. He is just another of the "I hate v11 so you must hate v11 too" brigade

Reactions: bubbyo and Zhe Wiz
Team - I haven't been on the forum for awhile, my apologies if this info is somewhere else, I did a quick search and didn't turn anything up.

Traded in P100D for PLAID on 12/30. Downloaded v11.0 on 12/31. Before V11.0 I snapped a picture of my SiriusXM radio ID, and didn't think about it until today. Using SiriusXM.com I just turned off the service for P100D and added this new radio. Just went to the car to see if it's working and the Sirius XM icon is missing altogether. Is this the same glitch that happened a couple of updates ago? Anyone else have the same experience? Thanks!

It's Christmas Day and Tesla... previously my favorite car of the past 30 years of car ownership... has ruined it! The more I think about this interface change, the more irritated I get. They should have shown a preview of the changes and ASKED if I wanted to have it installed. TESLA, either give me a way to uninstall this update... go back to the previous screen layout and controls, OR YOU HAVE LOST A CUSTOMER!
loved the car before…. love it now 🙂

Agreed. This just reinforces that they just made changes for changes sake. Maybe the Management said the goal was to "de-clutter" the GUI. So the software guys just say, "hey we can remove these buttons and put them all in a single screen". They did not THINK about these changes and the impact they would have in real-world scenarios. Homelink, wipers, front/back defrost, removal of driver profile selection, removal of trip information to be visible at the same time as a map, etc...these changes indicate to me that people making these decisions did not sit down as a team and think about the implications and go over different scenarios. They just "de-cluttered" and "re-organized" the GUI without thinking. Very amateur and lame. We seriously need to get this functionality back.
Does it make you wander where else they may be using the same approach?

Having now had some experience with V11, my own feelings are that there is ‘The Good, The Bad and The (continuing) Question Mark’.

The Good

I like the overall design and feel of the interface. Clean and attractive. I find it an improvement on the previous versions in that regard. Also, I find the basic ‘desktop’ menu and the sub-menus to be more intuitive and better organized, with fewer confusing and overlapping choices. I really like the customizable apps, although I wish there were more possible choices for apps, each app button were just a bit larger, and more could be displayed at any one time (additional thoughts below on how to free up some screen space for this). Overall, my own feeling is that the fundamental design ideas underlying V11 are quite good.

The Bad

As a basic safety feature, there should be a permanent, large, ‘desktop’ wiper button. The wiper control choices that come up (very temporarily) when you push the button at the end of the left stalk are not enough, nor are the buried wiper commands available in the screen submenu. The on-screen wiper commands in the previous interface version were not great, and very much needed a complete rethinking, but V11 took the redesign in exactly the wrong direction. Also, as a basic safety feature, the front and rear windscreen defoggers urgently need to go back on the desktop. Additionally, the climate control adjustment sliders that are available in the submenus need to be tinkered with, to make them easier to set while driving. No doubt there are other improvements that could be made, but these are the main ones that I have notice so far as being immediately needed.

The (continuing) Question Mark

My basic question about V11, and indeed previous versions is: why the heck do we need or want a ‘car visualization’ permanently taking up a huge portion of the most prominent screen space on the interface? The visualization adds almost nothing to a safe and informed driving experience – and the minimal amount it does add could easily be displayed in an alternative, more efficient, ‘as needed’ fashion. With the visualization gone, minimized, or coming up only temporarily if needed, there would be a lot more room on the interface for crucial, worthwhile and interesting displays and functions. In my view, the ‘car visualization’ is a gimmick whose attractiveness wears out after the first week of owning a Tesla. It should be entirely rethought.

Last edited:
But you have Sonic The Hedgehog…
Actually, I don't yet.

The games are part of a second download. We don't have wifi at our parking spot. On Dec. 24th we did two updates at the Teslas SC, one in the morning which led to the Christmas one being offered. On Boxing Day we spent some time in the car looking over things and discovered we had another download to retrieve. It's the games.

On the 30th we drove to our son's but couldn't connect to his wifi (that is our usual update spot since it is an excuse to go visit him, although this visit was outside due to covid restrictions.) So we are still waiting to go back to the SC to get the games and apparently the bug fix update as well.

Team - I haven't been on the forum for awhile, my apologies if this info is somewhere else, I did a quick search and didn't turn anything up.

Traded in P100D for PLAID on 12/30. Downloaded v11.0 on 12/31. Before V11.0 I snapped a picture of my SiriusXM radio ID, and didn't think about it until today. Using SiriusXM.com I just turned off the service for P100D and added this new radio. Just went to the car to see if it's working and the Sirius XM icon is missing altogether. Is this the same glitch that happened a couple of updates ago? Anyone else have the same experience? Thanks!
Quick update… after a couple of days the SirusXM icon reappeared.

This is a very very tiny complaint, nowhere near on the level of all the safety issues, but I listen to the streaming music, and there used to be a progress bar. Now, sometimes there's a progress bar and other times not. If I swipe up and hold, I can see it. But normally it's below the window so it doesn't show. It's annoying that this has (mostly) disappeared.

Reactions: DarrenHD
I have a RHD 2020 model 3 in Australia.

1641427627736.png

Q1 I am curious if this is a bug. If I select Split to off the passenger temp controls remain visible whereas I see them disappearing on videos of LHD cars. Can someone in North America advise if the LHD model 3 hides the passenger temp controls when SPLIT temperature controls are selected to off? This does not occur on my RHD car anymore and pre v11 it used hide when not SPLIT.

Q2 My car has the windscreen/rear window demister icons shown below drivers temp, whereas most youtube vids do not display them. Is this perhaps a 3 vs Y idiosyncrasy, a LHD vs RHD thing or something else?

Another minor complaint:

I really like the idea of being able to see the blind-spot cameras, but right now, being winter, I am sometimes driving when it's dark out, and the picture from the blind-spot cameras is so bright it's nearly blinding. It's effectively useless at night. It needs to be dimmed when it's dark inside the car.

View attachment 752423

Q1 I am curious if this is a bug. If I select Split to off the passenger temp controls remain visible whereas I see them disappearing on videos of LHD cars. Can someone in North America advise if the LHD model 3 hides the passenger temp controls when SPLIT temperature controls are selected to off? This does not occur on my RHD car anymore and pre v11 it used hide when not SPLIT.

Q2 My car has the windscreen/rear window demister icons shown below drivers temp, whereas most youtube vids do not display them. Is this perhaps a 3 vs Y idiosyncrasy, a LHD vs RHD thing or something else?
Who knows? I want those demister buttons. What the hell?

I saw screenshots of those randomly on the web, thought it was a legacy S/X thing (was on a vertical screen).

Maybe it is just an A/B test rollout? No ideal how they would look at results though: fewer service complaints? Makes no sense. Give them to everyone. 1/3 the complaints would be gone.

Reactions: Transformer
Your screen is mirrored of mine (you drive on the “wrong side :) ). What I discovered was a swipe up menu above the HVAC controls when the HVAC is running. It has a sync button. When engaged I have only the driver side HVAC; otherwise, both passenger and driver side are shown.

View attachment 752423

I find it to be random... both when Split is on and off. Sometimes the passenger controls are there and sometimes not.

I originally thought that they were using the weight sensor on the passenger seat to determine if a passenger was sitting there, and only displaying it while a passenger was present. Pretty cool, I thought: dynamic Split control. It would make sense... the system would be most efficient when both are set to the same. There's no need for Split when there's no passenger.

However, I've noticed odd behavior with it. I had split turned on yesterday, and both temps were set the same, however the passenger side was blowing out cold air while the driver's side was blowing out hot air. We were parked in a parking garage, so no sun effect.

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
Who knows? I want those demister buttons. What the hell?

I saw screenshots of those randomly on the web, thought it was a legacy S/X thing (was on a vertical screen).

Maybe it is just an A/B test rollout? No ideal how they would look at results though: fewer service complaints? Makes no sense. Give them to everyone. 1/3 the complaints would be gone.

They aren’t de-mister buttons. They’re icons, probably required by law in this particular jurisdiction, indicating that de-fog and defrost functions are in the climate control menu. The function is identical to the North American UI.

Yes, this annoys me, too. I really don’t want to be all negative, but I hate it when updates take features away. Seems like backwards thinking to me.

Toys can be fun, but easy access to driving controls needs to come first. It is first and foremost a driving machine, not a home theater. Please let me turn on the defroster without having to click through menus. That’s far more important than being able to turn on Spotify with one touch.

Something else I miss that I hope will come back on a “minor fixes” update soon: When planning a long trip needing several charging stops, I no longer see the total trip miles and travel time displayed. Why take take
that away? I hope it was just an oversight.

Overall, I do wish I had an option to uninstall V11. Even though resistance to change is real and I’m not immune to it, I’ve been driving the car for over 8 years and I’ve been okay with most of the previous updates. This one just makes it harder to access basic driving needs (like turning on the defroster), reduces media info I want to see (display of time and progress of music), and adds more steps to access climate control and links together things I could control separately before (I often want to turn the seat heater on or off without turning on cabin heat/fan), etc.

((((sigh)))). It seems they’re prioritizing form over function and toys over safety. Very disappointing.
This is a very very tiny complaint, nowhere near on the level of all the safety issues, but I listen to the streaming music, and there used to be a progress bar. Now, sometimes there's a progress bar and other times not. If I swipe up and hold, I can see it. But normally it's below the window so it doesn't show. It's annoying that this has (mostly) disappeared.

Reactions: daniel and Sporty