Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but it has always brought up the quick command after pressing the wiper button on the stalk.

Well shoot -- this is new to me. But this is also my first upgrade from the factory. I also didn't have Live camera view with sentry mode, the lights also didn't come up on the screen -- so Maybe it's just a me thing... but that is absolutely "new" for me.

it didn't do this before.

so Maybe it's just a me thing

Yeah, this is just your lack of experience. The wiper card always came up after pressing the wipe/wash button, which was always the easiest way to get access to the manual speeds. The new toast that comes up has much smaller button areas to press, so they're harder to hit without looking directly at the screen.

Reactions: Pseudofinn
Yeah, this is just your lack of experience. The wiper card always came up after pressing the wipe/wash button, which was always the easiest way to get access to the manual speeds. The new toast that comes up has much smaller button areas to press, so they're harder to hit without looking directly at the screen.

I think it's just your lack of experience with the new buttons... you'll get it eventually.

• Funny
Reactions: DrDabbles
Another one I'm not fond of is the slider only for fan speed. If I only want it to go up one speed, I have to carefully look at the screen and move the slider slowly. It needs a quick up/down button.
Totally agree with this. While driving it's hard to hold my hand steady enough to not overshoot the speed I want. Just takes much longer overall and I have to be looking at it, not the road. It was much easier with the +/-, especially because I usually only wanted to change the speed by 1 or 2 numbers.

Reactions: jbrazor
I think it's just your lack of experience with the new buttons... you'll get it eventually.

Alternatively, I know that there are HIG that exist for this very purpose, and I've been through many annual version upgrades while you're telling us this is your first few months with one. Perhaps those of us that have been longer term owners have had more experience over our time? Perhaps we know what buttons existed and how they have changed over the years? And perhaps having button targets that are smaller than a fingertip is a bad idea as every UI designer already knows?

My saying it was your lack of experience wasn't a negative slight toward you, I was simply pointing out that perhaps you hadn't used the feature enough times to know that the wiper card popped up.

Totally agree with this. While driving it's hard to hold my hand steady enough to not overshoot the speed I want. Just takes much longer overall and I have to be looking at it, not the road. It was much easier with the +/-, especially because I usually only wanted to change the speed by 1 or 2 numbers.
I just realized another option is tapping once along the fan slider to change the speed. The speeds seem to be spaced enough apart that you can usually get just one up or down from current speed. Not as good as the +/- but better than sliding it, imo.

Reactions: Nolakai
One disadvantage of the removal of the wiper button was that previously the passenger could set it on intermittent or full, something that cannot be done with the stalk. Voice commands, if you remember them correctly, are fine if you have connectivity which isn't always the case.

From my POV, the cards in the visualizations area, was not discoverable whatsoever -unless you're already in the know ...or you read the manual and who does that? :) The interface looks like disjointed and busy.
I agree, the cards were essentially "hidden" unless someone told you about them, and swiping to get them even then was hit and miss.

Alternatively, I know that there are HIG that exist for this very purpose, and I've been through many annual version upgrades while you're telling us this is your first few months with one. Perhaps those of us that have been longer term owners have had more experience over our time? Perhaps we know what buttons existed and how they have changed over the years? And perhaps having button targets that are smaller than a fingertip is a bad idea as every UI designer already knows?

My saying it was your lack of experience wasn't a negative slight toward you, I was simply pointing out that perhaps you hadn't used the feature enough times to know that the wiper card popped up.

UX designer of automation might disagree. They probably have the point of view that if the software is doing what it should, there’s no need for large buttons that take up a ton of real estate or at all unless to satisfy compliance.

So I think the beef with small buttons is short sighted, the bigger question isn’t why are they needed at all… are the sensors that bad?

If they are, you’re complaining about the wrong thing. And if they are good, you’re complaining about something that doant even matter because they’re literally never going to be pushed.

You’re right. I’m inexperienced - hell only have the car for 3 weeks.

But I am an actual developer with a focus on UX / UI - I don’t see a problem with the size or placement. Bottom left allows you to steady your hand on the bezel of the screen to find accuracy. But I’d be curious to see the heat mapping of user engagements and how off they are from the button placements. Also willing to bet they will do rolling A/B tests pushed to subset of cars to track accuracy and usage.

Reactions: K5TRX
Let me answer these, too.

Pressing the wipe button does nothing in heavy rain. You're in Ithica, so you get heavy rain, so there's no excuse for not knowing this. Also, the auto wipers are garbage and there's no "waking them up". Using a neural net to detect rain was foolish. Driving where there's no external light, like where I was, means the camera doesn't see the rain no matter what you do. Though I have plenty footage of the wipers not working during broad daylight too.

Voice commands require a data connection. When driving on twisty mountain roads at night where there's no data service, voice commands are worthless. Again, an attempt to fix a problem nobody was having by removing the ability to just set a speed.

Meanwhile, in the Plaid Model S, you can press the wipe button, then use the scroll wheel to set the speed manually. Something you can not do in the 3/Y, which we have been asking for Tesla to enable for YEARS now. There are easy solutions to these problems, but Tesla is refusing to do the basic minimum things to make driving actually safer. But they'll add idiotic features like a megaphone, because it's a distraction to make you forget how awful this update actually was.

You do realize you can push the button more than once, right? You also know that it pops up the same control panel that pushing the old w/s button showed, right? Stop trying to make it sound like the missing button is some kind of disaster. No sort of weird, irrational argument is going to make it so.

Push the damn stalk button and get on with your life. You can’t do that? Quit driving.

Why are you even using the button on the screen? What’s wrong with hitting the button on the stalk? That’s what I do when I need a wipe. :)

There’s nothing dangerous here, hit the button on the stalk. That screen space that was being used for wipers was a waste.
Yes, hitting the stalk button to bring up the wiper menu isn't too terrible as a workaround for removing the permanent on-screen button. Removing the permanent windshield defrost button is truly a safety issue, as the last thing you want to be doing while driving with limited visibility when it suddenly fogs up is mess with multi-click menus.

UX designer of automation might disagree. They probably have the point of view that if the software is doing what it should, there’s no need for large buttons that take up a ton of real estate or at all unless to satisfy compliance.

They wouldn't disagree, and evidence of this can be seen in every other vehicle with touch screen controls. Tesla didn't reduce the amount of space taken up by the bottom control strip, They simple removed buttons from it. Also, "satisfy compliance"? What compliance?

So I think the beef with small buttons is short sighted

Is it? You should tell Apple about your theory, because they've done extremely extensive research about target sizes and error margins for touch interfaces, and their research directly contradicts what you're saying. And you usually aren't trying to touch your screen while you and the phone are jossled around at different rates like you are when touching the screen in your car.

the bigger question isn’t why are they needed at all… are the sensors that bad?

Yes. They're that bad and worse. You'll learn very soon for yourself.

hell only have the car for 3 weeks.

Yup. I can tell.

But I am an actual developer with a focus on UX / UI - I don’t see a problem with the size or placement

Not in cars, I can tell you that right now.

You do realize you can push the button more than once, right?

So you've never seen hard rain then? Or just never driven in it? Yes, you can press the button lots of times, but the wiper motor is in its slowest speed when you push that button. So pressing multiple times doesn't actually fix the problem, because it's not clearing the screen fast enough. I'm beginning to doubt you've even driven a Tesla given this feedback.

And as for the buttons, the placement isn't my primary concern, it's the SIZE of the buttons you need to aim for, while driving, in worsening conditions. The fact you'd even try to defend this is laughable given how many people have voiced the same concerns.

They wouldn't disagree, and evidence of this can be seen in every other vehicle with touch screen controls. Tesla didn't reduce the amount of space taken up by the bottom control strip, They simple removed buttons from it. Also, "satisfy compliance"? What compliance?

Is it? You should tell Apple about your theory, because they've done extremely extensive research about target sizes and error margins for touch interfaces, and their research directly contradicts what you're saying. And you usually aren't trying to touch your screen while you and the phone are jossled around at different rates like you are when touching the screen in your car.

Yes. They're that bad and worse. You'll learn very soon for yourself.

Yup. I can tell.

Not in cars, I can tell you that right now.

So you've never seen hard rain then? Or just never driven in it? Yes, you can press the button lots of times, but the wiper motor is in its slowest speed when you push that button. So pressing multiple times doesn't actually fix the problem, because it's not clearing the screen fast enough. I'm beginning to doubt you've even driven a Tesla given this feedback.

And as for the buttons, the placement isn't my primary concern, it's the SIZE of the buttons you need to aim for, while driving, in worsening conditions. The fact you'd even try to defend this is laughable given how many people have voiced the same concerns.
Yep. Time to quit driving.

You completely (and rather conveniently) ignored my helpful suggestion - push the stalk and set the speed to whatever you desire. If the rain’s that bad you should probably slow down and pull off so you can do that safely. If you’re able to push the 4 way flasher button (I know, I know, physical buttons are hard for you) you should probably do that too.

Good luck. Never have I seen anyone make such a silly argument on here. The physical stalk button is better than the previous on screen button in EVERY way. It may wipe slow, but at least it wipes, unlike the on-screen screen button. Beyond that, it’s exactly the same. Oh. And as an added bonus, you can push it without taking your eyes off the road. That should excite the hell out of you!