Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, hitting the stalk button to bring up the wiper menu isn't too terrible as a workaround for removing the permanent on-screen button. Removing the permanent windshield defrost button is truly a safety issue, as the last thing you want to be doing while driving with limited visibility when it suddenly fogs up is mess with multi-click menus.
I don’t disagree. I liked the defrost buttons where they were, though I admit my car is garaged nearly always and I haven’t needed defrost while driving often. It was nice to have them handy the times I have needed them. Not a deal breaker for me to swipe up and hit them though.

As I posted elsewhere, the whole interface needs to be customizable. I’d like defrost and seat heaters (although so far I’m happy with auto heaters) in the winter, and maybe something else in the summer. My Jeep allowed me to switch out seat coolers in summer with heaters for winter, for example.

That would even make MrDibbles happy. Maybe.

You do realize you can push the button more than once, right? You also know that it pops up the same control panel that pushing the old w/s button showed, right? Stop trying to make it sound like the missing button is some kind of disaster. No sort of weird, irrational argument is going to make it so.

Push the damn stalk button and get on with your life. You can’t do that? Quit driving.

Yep. Time to quit driving.

You completely (and rather conveniently) ignored my helpful suggestion - push the stalk and set the speed to whatever you desire. If the rain’s that bad you should probably slow down and pull off so you can do that safely. If you’re able to push the 4 way flasher button (I know, I know, physical buttons are hard for you) you should probably do that too.

Good luck. Never have I seen anyone make such a silly argument on here. The physical stalk button is better than the previous on screen button in EVERY way. It may wipe slow, but at least it wipes, unlike the on-screen screen button. Beyond that, it’s exactly the same. Oh. And as an added bonus, you can push it without taking your eyes off the road. That should excite the hell out of you!

"He's an angry elf"

UX designer of automation might disagree. They probably have the point of view that if the software is doing what it should, there’s no need for large buttons that take up a ton of real estate or at all unless to satisfy compliance.

So I think the beef with small buttons is short sighted, the bigger question isn’t why are they needed at all… are the sensors that bad?

If they are, you’re complaining about the wrong thing. And if they are good, you’re complaining about something that doant even matter because they’re literally never going to be pushed.

Yes, the sensors are very bad. And automation turns out to be a very difficult problem. So difficult that it's unreasonable to expect rapid improvement. So we could complain that the automation is not perfect, something that's not achievable in the near term, or we could complain about the manual controls, which used to be very good until Tesla decided to remove them.

Elon Musk promised us that we could quit driving a couple of years ago and let the car do it. We're still waiting!

But seriously, this is your response? That we should quit driving because Tesla chose to remove manual controls before it had adequate automation to make them unnecessary?

... That would even make MrDibbles happy. Maybe.

So now you've stooped to insulting people by changing their user names to something you think is funny? Maybe you think this makes you sound clever. It just shows that you have no actual answers to legitimate complaints.

Farmers where I used to live have a saying: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." The old UI was good. There was no good reason to change it. Apparently Tesla wanted to change the appearance just for the sake of change. And since the old UI was good, change inevitably made it worse.

The Tesla Model 3 is the best car in the world. With V11 Tesla just made it a little bit worse.

But seriously, this is your response? That we should quit driving because Tesla chose to remove manual controls before it had adequate automation to make them unnecessary?

So now you've stooped to insulting people by changing their user names to something you think is funny? Maybe you think this makes you sound clever. It just shows that you have no actual answers to legitimate complaints.

You don't think I'm clever? Crap. Ruined my day.

Did you miss everything else I wrote? (Rhetorical question - you did) I love how you guys completely ignore my "actual answers" and continue to spew nonsense and whine about my sense of humor. Ouch. Seems the epitome of no actual answer.

You STILL can't explain what the stupid little w/s wiper button has that the stalk button doesn't. Anything? DIdn't think so. That's been my point all along, yet you (plural) continue to argue that Elon hurt you badly by taking away the w/s wiper button.

You completely (and rather conveniently) ignored my helpful suggestion - push the stalk and set the speed to whatever you desire. If the rain’s that bad you should probably slow down and pull off so you can do that safely. If you’re able to push the 4 way flasher button (I know, I know, physical buttons are hard for you) you should probably do that too.

Good luck. Never have I seen anyone make such a silly argument on here. The physical stalk button is better than the previous on screen button in EVERY way. It may wipe slow, but at least it wipes, unlike the on-screen screen button. Beyond that, it’s exactly the same. Oh. And as an added bonus, you can push it without taking your eyes off the road. That should excite the hell out of you!

You don't think I'm clever? Crap. Ruined my day.

Did you miss everything else I wrote? (Rhetorical question - you did) I love how you guys completely ignore my "actual answers" and continue to spew nonsense and whine about my sense of humor. Ouch. Seems the epitome of no actual answer.

You STILL can't explain what the stupid little w/s wiper button has that the stalk button doesn't. Anything? DIdn't think so. That's been my point all along, yet you (plural) continue to argue that Elon hurt you badly by taking away the w/s wiper button.

You could do with some understanding that you are now being angry and a poor community member. You've been here a little longer than I have, but I've already learned that this type of behavior isn't necessary or appreciated here. You are very stubborn with your point of view, that's understandable- but you need to hear other people out. Based on your continued confusion you seem to have no capacity to understand what is being told to you outside of your opinion. Several of your points have been refuted with sound reasoning and logic. No one is ignoring your "actual answers" (you put it in quotes, not me- but it is 100% perfect) you just aren't hearing what they are saying. It's just not getting through. Again, that's okay- just don't get angry here. Try Facebook. :-/

Gah- anyway... With respects to voice control. I too am tired of the idea that voice controls solves everything. Clearly not when "show odometer" or "show tire pressure" doersn't work- I know you can use a different command to get to tire pressure if you say "show service"- not so intuitive. Why don't both commands work? It was overlooked. That's poor project management not to test this before wide release. The biggest problem is that people for a number of reasons cannot or do not want to use voice commands. What if my wife and kids are sleeping? What if I have no data for the first five minutes of my drive, like I do? What if I just don't want to interrupt a song or podcast because I don't remember where Elon hid my defroster? Waiting for a voice command to work in a downpour is a poor idea at best. Having it not understand me and trying again could be pretty costly. And yes, for reasons mentioned several different ways now, tapping the end of the stalk doesn't do an adequate job in a torrential downpour.

Last edited:
Is Auto Seat Warmer enabled when gray and disabled when white? Or is it the other way around or something else? Why not make it obvious Blue?

Not cold here the last few days so can't test.

Also do they use the same dumb a$$ algorithms that "Deep Rain" and Auto High Beams uses?:eek:🤣🤣

IMG_0121D.jpeg

Last edited:
Is Auto Seat Warmer enabled when gray and disabled when white? Or is it the other way around or something else? Why not make it obvious Blue?

Not cold here the last few days so can't test.

Also do they use the same dumb a$$ algorithms that "Deep Rain" and Auto High Beams uses?:eek:🤣🤣
Gah! FFS- no kidding, why not just blue for on like the other bits? Terribly good point that I've noticed when driving but never brought here- and I've not seen anyone else mention it. Good call- this was a silly decision and doesn't not make things clear, leading to possible confusion in the cabin for the driver. Not cool.

As for the algorithms... I think we CAN CONFRIRM, BUD! 🤣😂🤣

So I've just got V11 and mostly I'm disappointed. I have some questions?

1. How do you access driver profiles? I can't find these anywhere and I use them a lot.
2. How do you get the music tab to be just at the bottom of the screen like before. Now it takes either half or the whole screen. The navigation was squeezed in a previous update that made the left hand side car bigger and is now squeezed from the bottom. It is now only about 1/3 of the screen! (see enclosed photo)

other questions include:

quick access to seat heaters?
quick access to wipers?

All in all, it's a mess. I like the configurable bottom screen (although not that you can only have 4 icons on it) and the blindspot cameras ..... but nothing else. Could Tesla please hire some decent UX engineers......View attachment 748127

I think they probably did hire some big shot ui designer whom now has the final say to make the ui flow and be consistent. The problem is IMO whomever it is, is treating it like an app and has discounted the fact that a (“the”?) primary purpose is to be a good car/driving experience too much.

Sorry if it’s being answered but now do I see that red dot that indicates it’s recording

Also how do I save dash cam footage . It used to say “downloading” . Still does that ?
You should find those tiles under Car, bottom right location for DashCam and Sentry functions. It will say recording if it is doing so, and a tap will say saving with the green saving icon. Sentry mode should be red if recording, greyed out if inactive.

Apparently since my view isn’t the majority view, I’m not welcome here. Thats fine. I’ll “admire” you in silence. No one has explained why they feel a duplicate w/s wiper is necessary. Yet I’m being silenced when I ask for a valid explanation.

Glad you all are not designing the interface. Enjoy v11. I’ll go back to silence and you can all pat each other on the back.

I’ve tried to be helpful, read my posts. No more. You guys treat people horribly here. Tesla owners deserve some of the stereo types.

Anyone who disagrees gets belittled and attacked. You say that behavior isn’t welcome here, but it’s certainly prevalent and allowed.

Enjoy your club. I’ll enjoy the car.

Apparently since my view isn’t the majority view, I’m not welcome here. Thats fine. I’ll “admire” you in silence. No one has explained why they feel a duplicate w/s wiper is necessary. Yet I’m being silenced when I ask for a valid explanation.

Glad you all are not designing the interface. Enjoy v11. I’ll go back to silence and you can all pat each other on the back.

I’ve tried to be helpful, read my posts. No more. You guys treat people horribly here. Tesla owners deserve some of the stereo types.

Anyone who disagrees gets belittled and attacked. You say that behavior isn’t welcome here, but it’s certainly prevalent and allowed.

There is nothing wrong with someone offering a different idea or opinion. That always seems to be welcome here. But you are not offering solutions. You tell people their on screen buttons are "stupid" and "It's time to quit driving." Honestly, the problem is you come across as an ass who is not trying to be helpful at all.

I just read your posts. I’d prefer to have the touch button back for wiper control. Many times I’m trying to turn down the wipers and the button causes them to swipe. It’s not a big deal but it was enough where at stop lights and such I would use the ui instead of the stalk button. That turned into using the ui frequently to adjust the wiper rate.

IMO I t’s a bigger problem as to how bad “auto” is on the wipers is. If auto worked reasonably well I wouldn’t need to mess with the controls all the time. Note I press the button a lot during rain. Because the car can’t run the wipers I’ve been demoted to a human implemented wiper control system. I’d like the ui back because I don’t have high confidence they can as easily fix the auto function. Also note I think they should make the wiper ui have a “pin” option. During rain I’d rather it just be present on the screen full time so I don’t need to continually call the ui up. I should time it someday, but there are times I think I’m adjusting it every 5 minutes.

Also I’m reasonably sure that pressing the button lowers the weight of when to trigger the wipers. My big complaint is they run way to fast nearly everytime I use them. I have no idea how to in-lower the weight.

Reactions: Pseudofinn

There's nothing wrong with expressing your views and presenting your reasons. But when you insult people, make fun of their user name, tell them to quit driving, and say that if they don't agree with you they must not have read your post, then you're just being a jerk, and nobody likes a jerk. Being polite goes a long way. Don't assume people are stupid just because they don't see things your way.

Try again, but leave out the insults and you'll find this is a friendly place for discourse.

I just read your posts. I’d prefer to have the touch button back for wiper control. Many times I’m trying to turn down the wipers and the button causes them to swipe. It’s not a big deal but it was enough where at stop lights and such I would use the ui instead of the stalk button. That turned into using the ui frequently to adjust the wiper rate.

IMO I t’s a bigger problem as to how bad “auto” is on the wipers is. If auto worked reasonably well I wouldn’t need to mess with the controls all the time. Note I press the button a lot during rain. Because the car can’t run the wipers I’ve been demoted to a human implemented wiper control system. I’d like the ui back because I don’t have high confidence they can as easily fix the auto function. Also note I think they should make the wiper ui have a “pin” option. During rain I’d rather it just be present on the screen full time so I don’t need to continually call the ui up. I should time it someday, but there are times I think I’m adjusting it every 5 minutes.

Also I’m reasonably sure that pressing the button lowers the weight of when to trigger the wipers. My big complaint is they run way to fast nearly everytime I use them. I have no idea how to in-lower the weight.

Thank you. Finally a thoughtful response.

I think you’re on the right track…the the real problem may be that the auto wipers are horrible. I just drove home in a very light rain/mist. Had to turn off the auto function and just use the stalk button. Very annoying. One of my many disagree-ers (anti-fans) above brought up the “sudden downpour” issue. Again, if the auto wipers worked, that wouldn’t even matter.

But we’re stuck with crappy auto wipers. I would argue that if you’re stopped at a light you have time to tap once or twice in the new interface to pull up the on/off/speed settings for the wipers. I think, as you point out though, the trouble is that it’s not a one and done interaction as it should be. You’ll make a selection, it’ll probably be wrong, and back to adjusting it again. Makes me long for the multipurpose stalk that would allow all settings w/o a screen to play with. Sad.

So yes, this makes me wonder how big of an issue people would be making of the new w/s wiper interface if the auto wipers “just worked” like on every other car I’ve owned that included the feature? I suspect no one would care. So the negative response to the new interface is a direct result of the crappy auto wipers.

THAT would make sense.

Let the thumbs down begin…

Reactions: OxBrew