Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 quick controls toggle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The consensus seems to be that it's not there. It's just in the tutorial as an example or something that was not implemented?
Something happened where someone new (I'm guessing) got authority to make changes to the interface who has no business doing that. I've owned my M3P for 9 wonderful months. All previous updates have been either "additions" to the controls interface or some other improvement in the way an item functions. This V11 interface is a complete disaster... and your note that the tutorial is showing a feature that wasn't even implemented is just further reinforcement that the person in charge of the Driver Interface Development Group is not qualified to be in that role.

Something happened where someone new (I'm guessing) got authority to make changes to the interface who has no business doing that. I've owned my M3P for 9 wonderful months. All previous updates have been either "additions" to the controls interface or some other improvement in the way an item functions. This V11 interface is a complete disaster... and your note that the tutorial is showing a feature that wasn't even implemented is just further reinforcement that the person in charge of the Driver Interface Development Group is not qualified to be in that role.
You're talking about Elon, and I agree....

• Funny
Reactions: afadeev and rjpjnk
I'm with you on this one. The starting point for the swipe had to be just right otherwise it didn't trigger. For something like that it's better to have it accessible from the menu.
Couldn't disagree more, the cards were just a swipe to the right and then 1 or 2 swipes up away, and super easy to get to. Now it's two taps with your eyes on the screen and not on the road ahead, and it takes up the whole of the navigation half of the screen rather than just a small portion of the screen below the visualization.

I think the tutorial was attempting to show where to access those controls but did so in such a confusing way that it looked like it was a new feature itself. Still a problem, but I don't think it was a case of a feature being developed but not implemented. I have mixed feeling about V11 overall -- some things seem better some things seem worse. I've only had my Tesla about a month so at least I don't have to unlearn years worth of muscle memory.

Reactions: evnautilus
I think the tutorial was attempting to show where to access those controls but did so in such a confusing way that it looked like it was a new feature itself. Still a problem, but I don't think it was a case of a feature being developed but not implemented. I have mixed feeling about V11 overall -- some things seem better some things seem worse. I've only had my Tesla about a month so at least I don't have to unlearn years worth of muscle memory.
Yes, here is the photo from the tutorial. It has five functions and an arrow pointing down to the car icon. The text reads, "A few items have moved under controls." People (myself included) thought there was a ribbon quick menu that would pop up from the car icon, but evidently that's not what Tesla was trying to communicate.

Attachments

• v11-3.jpeg
    v11-3.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 181
Yeah, thats exactly what happened with the tutorial.

But to me, this incident is a microcosm of the whole problem with the UI. The fact that this screen was so widely misunderstood to indicate the presence of a new mini-menu reveals that whoever put it together did not have a solid grasp on how to communicate what they wanted using graphics. It's very similar to the problem that seeps through the whole UI; it takes too much work on the part of the perceiver to figure out what's going on and how things are organized.

We will over time, all learn where things are and it will be fine, but it is possible (maybe not easy, but possible), to design things in a way that is intuitive and uses visual metaphor in a way that is easily understandable. I say this as someone who is new to the car and doesn't have strong habits burned in yet, but this interface is not an achievement in human-computer interaction.

Last edited:
They did make it look like there would be "quick controls" during the little in-car demo that I watched this am. I was wondering the same exact thing lol
I thought for sure by long holding the car icon, it would pop up. No dice.

This is actually a good feature request for a future update, long press the car icon for a quick controls menu... 😊
I spent ages trying to find this quick control widget demonstrated in the tutorial you see when you first get the update.

I tried pressing and holding on the Car icon, double tapping… felt like a right idiot as I thought I must be missing something (and I couldn’t even find a way to rewatch the tutorial)

Annoyingly a quick control widget would probably solve quite a few gripes people are having about two button presses etc.

Yeah, thats exactly what happened with the tutorial.

But to me, this incident is a microcosm of the whole problem with the UI. The fact that this screen was so widely misunderstood to indicate the presence of a new mini-menu reveals that whoever put it together did not have a solid grasp on how to communicate what they wanted using graphics. It's very similar to the problem that seeps through the whole UI; it takes too much work on the part of the perceiver to figure out what's going on and how things are organized.

We will over time, all learn where things are and it will be fine, but it is possible (maybe not easy, but possible), to design things in a way that is intuitive and uses visual metaphor in a way that is easily understandable. I say this as someone who is new to the car and doesn't have strong habits burned in yet, but this interface is not an achievement in human-computer interaction.
Totally agree. Apple has the same issue. I'm a big fan of the elegant minimalism Apple strives to achieve in its UI, but sometimes they go overboard and you end up with an interface that is more obtuse and confusing than whatever it is they're trying to replace.

Reactions: lifjoy and house9
I'm with you on this one. The starting point for the swipe had to be just right otherwise it didn't trigger. For something like that it's better to have it accessible from the menu.
I loved the cards, you could call them up quickly by saying “Show tyre pressures“ or “Show odometer“. They also made the car and road symbols a lot smaller, a definite bonus as they are quite distracting.
like the new turn camera but they should have put it much higher in the display. Along with the warning notice, why did they move it down, you now have to take your eyes off the road for longer!

Reactions: Scelto
I cannot get the HVAC quick controls to open up. It just opens to the bigger HVAC controls. Any ideas?
If you touch either the < or > temperature control (or press and hold the temperature?) the quick controls pane comes up.

This update needs an update urgently. All this hunting for so many buried basic controls is profoundly unsafe when driving, and it's beyond absurd.

I thought the same thing! Spent a good half hour this morning trying to figure out how to pull up that nifty little quick menu until I figured out there's no such thing. I'm generally all for Tesla's minimalist aesthetic but the antipathy for wiper controls remains confounding, especially since the camera based auto wipers on the Model 3 are mediocre at best.
Just press the wiper button on the stalk brings up the speed control. Actually saves a step from before.

Reactions: job-lek
Just press the wiper button on the stalk brings up the speed control. Actually saves a step from before.
That's exactly what I do, and in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal. There's really no good reason not to include some additional wiper controls on the stalk which already has controls for a single wipe and wash, but what I really wish is that Tesla had just used a traditional rain sensor on the windshield instead of its bootleg camera+software system for the Model 3. If the auto wipers worked as well as they do in the other cars I've had with that feature (Lexus & BMW) I wouldn't think twice about it.

I agree! I thought that would be slick, and would go well with the HVAC quick controls.

Would prefer they change the behavior of the HVAC too, selecting the fan pulls the full panel, you have to go up for down for quick controls. Long press instead would be great.

All that being said, between the blind spot camera, distinct sub control, and dark mode I am really digging this update!

TIm
The dark mode is depressing and only makes sense in phones and tablets with OLED displays, where it does save a significant amount of power. But it is obvious that some people like it, so it should have been a choice not imposed on all. In cars you need a dark mode at night, but the V11 is way too dark & cannot adjust the brightness to taste. And making some controls and text dark grey on a light gray background should have been a non-starter.

The dark mode is depressing and only makes sense in phones and tablets with OLED displays, where it does save a significant amount of power. But it is obvious that some people like it, so it should have been a choice not imposed on all. In cars you need a dark mode at night, but the V11 is way too dark & cannot adjust the brightness to taste. And making some controls and text dark grey on a light gray background should have been a non-starter.
Of course you can adjust the brightness. What you cant adjust is the contrast. As for dark mode being depressing...oh please. You dont HAVE to have it on you know!

V11 overall is not bad - once you figure where they moved everything that was right where you expect it to be.

But some things are boneheaded. You now have to do 2 clicks to get to heated seats - something that people will obviously use all the time (when cold) - but you have "Calendar" sticking permanently on the bottom bar (maybe just me as last used - but can't figure anything more useless in a car than calendar). Things like heated seats should be in the customizable apps that you can stick on the bottom bar - rather than all the useless things there. I checked what I can customize to be permanently visible - and there isn't a single thing that's needed.
Same thing with selecting a profile - now you have to click multiple times rather than just having it on the screen. So when the key-unlock/auto-select profile malfunctions (which for some reason happens all the time) - you have to keep going through submenus. I get it most people have one driver and don't care about profile - but for those of us that have multiple people driving the car on a regular basis that "improvement" is annoying.

V11 overall is not bad - once you figure where they moved everything that was right where you expect it to be.

But some things are boneheaded. You now have to do 2 clicks to get to heated seats - something that people will obviously use all the time (when cold) - but you have "Calendar" sticking permanently on the bottom bar (maybe just me as last used - but can't figure anything more useless in a car than calendar). Things like heated seats should be in the customizable apps that you can stick on the bottom bar - rather than all the useless things there. I checked what I can customize to be permanently visible - and there isn't a single thing that's needed.
Same thing with selecting a profile - now you have to click multiple times rather than just having it on the screen. So when the key-unlock/auto-select profile malfunctions (which for some reason happens all the time) - you have to keep going through submenus. I get it most people have one driver and don't care about profile - but for those of us that have multiple people driving the car on a regular basis that "improvement" is annoying.
Actually heated seats is one swipe up then a button press. As for stuff 'stuck' on the bottom...yes, you can fix calendar there or it was one which you recently used. I'm thinking the use of calendar might become more clear in later updates. As for customization, yes that would be great. Maybe Tesla are thinking this? Regarding Profile select I have 3 people using my car and the auto profile select so far works well. YMMV.

Reactions: job-lek