Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 quick controls toggle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was shown in the tutorial, but doesn't actually exist!
Right. Is this what we're talking about? I recall something in which the controls were stacked vertically above the car icon (or maybe I dreamt that).

20211231_152929.jpg

Right. Is this what we're talking about? I recall something in which the controls were stacked vertically above the car icon (or maybe I dreamt that).

View attachment 750585
Here is what you saw. It was displayed on the screen right after the update. People (myself included) thought this was a new quick menu, but it was just an indication that these five functions have been moved to the control menu and you would have to press the car icon to find these functions in the future.

Attachments

• v11-3.jpeg
    v11-3.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 82
Why people obsessed with wiper control? Hit the stalk or use voice control
I agree, I always press the stalk button when it starts raining and I need the wipers. Pressing the button gives you one wipe and then the wiper menu appears just like it always did. I would never try to press a button on the screen when my windshield was getting covered with water. The only time I would go to the screen was when I was entering a car wash (touchless only of course!) and wanted to change the wipers from auto to off.

Reactions: WhiteWi
One thing to point out on accessing the quick menu for Seat heaters is why do you have to turn on the HVAC just to toggle the Heat Seaters? I tried every way I could imagine to swipe left, right, etc to get that mini menu to open without the HVAC firing up. It's really strange that Tesla wouldn't have caught this when it was from Tesla that we should use our Heat Seaters in lieu of cabin heating for better range and efficicenty but now we have an Auto setting on our seat heaters which is tied into the use of the Cabin Heating and who knows what temp it's triggered as well. Maybe I like only 1 strip of bacon and never 3, or on a particular day I want two strips. :)

Also since the controls are missing from the bottom you can't quickly glance and see if they're on or off. Sometimes you feel like "Is the seat heater on or what dang! and sure enough, you glance over and can see you left it on from a previous drive. :(. I guess now I'll have to go into another menu to see that.

I'm really hoping Tesla comes back with a new update soon to correct a few of these boneheaded changes.

My observation after 900 miles road trip with new interface. Love how open pages are fast and easy to completely close with swift finger swipe. Had no problems with AC set to auto during different temps outside, never had to manually activate defog. Blind spot cam is good during day and ok during night but I got used to shoulder check anyway. I thought that new location on nav to find superchargers would be an issue but after playing with nav few times it become no issue. We sure can use more function buttons to use and maybe two more icons added instead of recent apps. I am confident Tesla is listening and will add more functionality down the road. Oh and zero safety issues, end of the world issues and etc experienced.

Actually heated seats is one swipe up then a button press. As for stuff 'stuck' on the bottom...yes, you can fix calendar there or it was one which you recently used. I'm thinking the use of calendar might become more clear in later updates. As for customization, yes that would be great. Maybe Tesla are thinking this? Regarding Profile select I have 3 people using my car and the auto profile select so far works well. YMMV.

Heated seats should be on the screen without extra push or swipe - or at least we should have the option to put it there; this one is no brainer.
Calendar should never be on the screen itself; like someone said - the whole "recently used" section should just be discarded as a waste of space.

The profile auto-select used to work for us - but then at some point stopped and now only works half the time. Not sure why - I've tried to reset settings on the keys several times. It may be that when I unlock the car with my phone then my wife's phone is also in range (upstairs above the garage) and the car gets confused. Either way - not having the profile on screen is annoying.

Reactions: Sporty
Heated seats should be on the screen without extra push or swipe - or at least we should have the option to put it there; this one is no brainer.
Calendar should never be on the screen itself; like someone said - the whole "recently used" section should just be discarded as a waste of space.

The profile auto-select used to work for us - but then at some point stopped and now only works half the time. Not sure why - I've tried to reset settings on the keys several times. It may be that when I unlock the car with my phone then my wife's phone is also in range (upstairs above the garage) and the car gets confused. Either way - not having the profile on screen is annoying.
I disagree about heated seats on front screen. Most people put their seats on when they get in their car not while driving. One swipe is nothing while sitting there in my opinion. Maybe the option to customize will happen...don't know. As for calendar I like the idea of it, I use it when I drive to work (or rather when I used to every day) to check on my upcoming day. I think there may be a future use for this. My profile auto-select has worked from day one for me.

I think the tutorial was attempting to show where to access those controls but did so in such a confusing way that it looked like it was a new feature itself. Still a problem, but I don't think it was a case of a feature being developed but not implemented. I have mixed feeling about V11 overall -- some things seem better some things seem worse. I've only had my Tesla about a month so at least I don't have to unlearn years worth of muscle memory.
Thanks for trying to look at the bright-side, lawdawg... but for safe driving every "enhancement" made driving less safe.
Here are my top examples:
1) Fan Speed on HVAC controls. Control function used to be identical to the Temperature Control. Simple left-right arrow with fan speed in the middle. Tap to go faster or slower. Now "WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING" you have to find the slider, get your finger just right and steady... then watch the fan speed number change as you swipe your finger. Unbelievable!
2) Wiper controls are WAAAAY over on the passenger side of the display screen. Again, "WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING, NOW IN THE DARK AND RAIN" you have to find them on the screen and take your eyes off the road. I know there is a button on the turn signal stalk, but still...
3) TMPS is now buried under the Service Menu.
4) Odometer is buried under the "Trip Menu". Why on earth is it not just at the top or bottom of the left-side vehicle display all the time... like every other car on the road?
If the 4 customizable icons could be used to put the Fan Speed, Wiper Controls, TPMS and Odometer... then that would at least be a compromise.

My observation after 900 miles road trip with new interface. Love how open pages are fast and easy to completely close with swift finger swipe. Had no problems with AC set to auto during different temps outside, never had to manually activate defog. Blind spot cam is good during day and ok during night but I got used to shoulder check anyway. I thought that new location on nav to find superchargers would be an issue but after playing with nav few times it become no issue. We sure can use more function buttons to use and maybe two more icons added instead of recent apps. I am confident Tesla is listening and will add more functionality down the road. Oh and zero safety issues, end of the world issues and etc experienced.
WhiteWi: regardless of whether or not you personally feel that the changes impact safety... you actually inadvertently justified all of our complaints. They completely overhauled the interface and the only positive thing you can point out is "Love how open pages are fast and easy to completely close with swift finger swipe". Implementing that 'feature' is what they should have done. Not monkey around with relocating features that many of us used every day into 2 or 3 levels deep of menus.

WhiteWi: regardless of whether or not you personally feel that the changes impact safety... you actually inadvertently justified all of our complaints. They completely overhauled the interface and the only positive thing you can point out is "Love how open pages are fast and easy to completely close with swift finger swipe". Implementing that 'feature' is what they should have done. Not monkey around with relocating features that many of us used every day into 2 or 3 levels deep of menus.
I repeat there is zero safety concerns with update no matter how many times you say it is not true. I like clean UI and updated logic behind it. Only Tesla keeps on adding features and updating their system vs Legacy. What you buy is what you will have forever (outdated UI straight from the factory floor) or they will make you pay crazy amount to update your maps.

• Funny
Reactions: smogne41
I repeat there is zero safety concerns with update no matter how many times you say it is not true. I like clean UI and updated logic behind it. Only Tesla keeps on adding features and updating their system vs Legacy. What you buy is what you will have forever (outdated UI straight from the factory floor) or they will make you pay crazy amount to update your maps.
Yeah it sucks that Ford doesn’t sneak into our garage from time to time and remove buttons and controls from my wife’s Explorer and rearrange her dashboard. The darn speedometer and fuel gauge are always the same size and right where they were last time we drove it! I will admit it’s great when Tesla adds some features through their updates and fixes bugs but this latest update was a mess and removed more functionality than it added.

I disagree about heated seats on front screen. Most people put their seats on when they get in their car not while driving. One swipe is nothing while sitting there in my opinion. Maybe the option to customize will happen...don't know. As for calendar I like the idea of it, I use it when I drive to work (or rather when I used to every day) to check on my upcoming day. I think there may be a future use for this. My profile auto-select has worked from day one for me.
That is obviously a matter of opinion - so everybody can be right, and in the end Tesla decides.
However - you live in TX so probably don't use heated seats much. For anybody living in 4 seasons (or colder) - heated seats are something we use all the time. I turn them on when I get in the car, then tinker with them up and down all the time. (And BTW the new Auto setting is not that great - I still need to adjust myself). Heated seats are one of the controls most used on the screen (after music etc).
Calendar on the other hand has nothing to do with the car and has exactly zero business being top level icon.
Of course being able to put what you want there would be best for everyone - but I mean useful things like heated seats, or window defroster, not the 15 or so useless apps that you can put on the bottom bar now.

That is obviously a matter of opinion - so everybody can be right, and in the end Tesla decides.
However - you live in TX so probably don't use heated seats much. For anybody living in 4 seasons (or colder) - heated seats are something we use all the time. I turn them on when I get in the car, then tinker with them up and down all the time. (And BTW the new Auto setting is not that great - I still need to adjust myself). Heated seats are one of the controls most used on the screen (after music etc).
Calendar on the other hand has nothing to do with the car and has exactly zero business being top level icon.
Of course being able to put what you want there would be best for everyone - but I mean useful things like heated seats, or window defroster, not the 15 or so useless apps that you can put on the bottom bar now.
Of course, its all a matter of opinion. Let's hope Tesla gives you the option to customize. it wouldn't surprise me if they do.

Yeah it sucks that Ford doesn’t sneak into our garage from time to time and remove buttons and controls from my wife’s Explorer and rearrange her dashboard. The darn speedometer and fuel gauge are always the same size and right where they were last time we drove it! I will admit it’s great when Tesla adds some features through their updates and fixes bugs but this latest update was a mess and removed more functionality than it added.
But it also sucks that Ford CAN'T add any MORE buttons either!

I just spent the day out and was testing the auto heat seaters. Pretty impressive how they adjust to the temperatures both external and internal. When it was 28f this morning and I started off it registered 3 bars on the heaters. I kept heating off in the car and it stayed at 3 bars. I turned on heaters and the seats turned down to 2 bars as the air temp in the car rose. A little later it went to one bar. Later in the day when the temp was 50f the car put on only one bar of the seat heater. I think that's pretty impressive.

Reactions: rjpjnk and WhiteWi