Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, It turned my love for this car to hate real quick. elon musk got his head up his a$$
Ahhh shoot. My days are numbered.

I'm already in the woodshed for even buying this thing. Hope the Fam can deal with it, or IDK, might need to find a new Fam car.

(seriously, when ours does update, I'm going to practice letting go, pretend I like it and just live with it, regardless. just like when I have to go to Vegas for work.)

Reactions: t00taloo
Ahhh shoot. My days are numbered.

I'm already in the woodshed for even buying this thing. Hope the Fam can deal with it, or IDK, might need to find a new Fam car.

(seriously, when ours does update, I'm going to practice letting go, pretend I like it and just live with it, regardless. just like when I have to go to Vegas for work.)
just have to pretend this is how it came. just a car and not a big deal. at least it gets updated on the regular.

within 2 years, there will be quite a few good alternate choices to the tesla for ev's.

so far, I keep x'ing out of the nags and I have not ever been forced to take an update I didn't want (note, I'm not on the advanced button mode track, so maybe that matters; but I still get downloaded updates over lte and the nags are every time I start the car).

if they ever do force it completely without my approval, I will likely sell the car that week. maybe its a mixed blessing, these cars are at peak used value right now. of course, so are all the other ones (lol) - and I still need a car, so not sure what to replace it with.

but my patience is running thin. the nags are annoying but if my fw updates truly on its own and not due to my fat fingering, that will be the end of that.

and yes, this is truly a show-stopper for many of us. messing with a person's tool interface is not something to be taken lightly. suppose someone moved the button on your hand drill or sander? suppose you have to keep pressing a button to keep your soldering iron on? maybe you have to turn your voltmeter sideways each time to read it. when a tool that had a well defined interface - that you muscle-memory learned - gets changed by the vendor for no reason: that's a sign that the vendor has lost the hold of reality (and has put the wrong people in charge of the UI).

Honestly, Tesla was for me a bright spot in this screwed up world with all it's screwed up problems. I'm sad to say not any more.

I know there are many that are saying this UI outrage is whining and much ado about nothing. But my feeling is that the core of the problem is much deeper. It's just not the company a lot of us started believing in. They absolutely came to life with a fervent community of supporters. They can also die, or at least fall pretty far, by slapping that same community in the face. Unfortunately, big tech seems to be largely immune from customer dissatisfaction.

All the more reason to ditch the premium connectivity... 😂

1) Before, I could get in the car and tell at a glance if the seat heaters were on and what setting they were at. No more. Now I have to check it EVERY TIME since there is no visual indicator. To say nothing of adjusting it.. .
Amen!
2) I used to keep the trip card up all the time to see how efficiently I was driving, or whether consumption was off the norm for some reason. No more. Oh sorry, we took that away. Why? I dunno...

Who releases this kind of dipshittery?
Well said

I really like leaving the energy gauge up on a road trip though I hate it covers the map. The one thing they did right, but 1/2 ass in my book, is the quick nav under the speed etc. I say 1/2 ass because it's really useful so why can't I choose to have it up when the full map is also up?

And more futile wishful thinking, a small version of that energy app up there as well - full map to glance at traffic, super quick nav instructions and energy gauge so I can see if I'm over lead-footing it to next super charger.

I will never have FSD in this car so why does my UI have to suck in prep for that?

Amen!

Well said

I really like leaving the energy gauge up on a road trip though I hate it covers the map. The one thing they did right, but 1/2 ass in my book, is the quick nav under the speed etc. I say 1/2 ass because it's really useful so why can't I choose to have it up when the full map is also up?
Did you notice that the "quick nav" as you call it has been moved? It's not at the top below the speedometer anymore, it is now moved to the bottom edge of the screen. It is not as easily visible as it used to be, and if you have the blindspot camera function turned on, the navigation directions are hidden whenever your turn signal is on. Another inexplicable UI decision that makes no sense!

You cannot hold forever. Either the SC will install it when you go there for something or the alarm clock will turn from yellow to black and at 2:00am it will install itself - sooner or later.
The resistance is futile. Think of it as a bridge until the other manufacturers catch up and offer viable alternatives. Two-three years top.
You are actually required to update the software as part of the warranty:

1642784718020.png

You are actually required to update the software as part of the warranty:

View attachment 758432
What does it convey if I am willing to lose my warranty in order to avoid V11?

I am in the same boat as @linux-works. If there were viable alternatives I would be shopping right now. It is not just V11; it is a slew of things that bugged me - low build quality, weird design decisions, lack of basic things that we associate with “luxury” vehicle (coming from a line of VW/Audi), inept SCs… Forcing V11 on me kind of pushed me over the edge because it is constantly in my face and impedes my ability to operate the car. At this point, I am accepting it because I do not have an alternative. The “good will” I had when I bought the car has slowly evaporated and Tesla has to work pretty hard to restore it (honestly, I do not see it happening). As it stands right now, my next car will not be Tesla; the question is how long I will keep this one and if they do something even more bone-headed that will push me back to the ICE world - which I would hate to do.

@Boza I sympathize with your concerns - I used to enthusiastically recommend Teslas to friends, family and coworkers. This even with some of the quality issues but this latest slap in the face to existing customer concerns has killed that, not that Tesla or Elon gives a hoot about what I (or anyone?) thinks about their designs

Its a bit rich for my blood and too big, but the Lucid Air has some tempting features and actual hard buttons for a bunch of important things. Oh and the steering wheel is round!

But I also hear you on the ICE front; I have missed my manual transmission with the 3 and the nostalgia there plus the disgust and sadness of Tesla's design decisions is a powerful pull... sigh

I used to enthusiastically recommend Teslas to friends, family and coworkers. This even with some of the quality issues but this latest slap in the face to existing customer concerns has killed that, not that Tesla or Elon gives a hoot about what I (or anyone?) thinks about their designs
There are many (dozens?) users of this forum over the years who posted something similar, then disappeared. I'm guessing they sold their cars and moved on. That really is the best solution for everyone, sadly. I also think most of us will eventually get there, given enough time, because eventually you'll get that update, the one *you* don't like, that you had no choice in. An update that, without real informed consent, changes what you purchased into something you you don't want- even if almost everyone else likes it. A big squirt of catsup on your iced cream sundae that people inexplicably love. :eek: And you just push it away and get something else.

I looked at Lucid - it is very interesting. The issue is that they are where Tesla was 10 years ago and I am certainly not first adopter, as it relates to cars.
If Tesla is any indicator, being a first adopter is swwweeeeeet! Service is impeccable, and they're more interested in happy customers, goodwill, and good press than almost anything else. Any problems are addressed quickly and personally. I personally wouldn't hesitate to dive in early again with another company if they seemed legit.

That (potentially) addresses part of the issue. For me the car is a tool, I do not have time to deal with troubleshooting, no matter how well intended it is. I do plenty of that in my professional life (and I am paid to do it).

Reactions: sleepydoc