Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disabled WiFi on my car when the first V11 update showed and since, there's a newer one but it tells me to connect to WiFi to download. I'm hoping this gives me more breathing room to prevent the downgrade of my car's features, fingers crossed.
I got the same notification for 2021.44.30 after not installing 2021.44.25, so I thought I was OK but then it downloaded on its own via LTE while I was driving. I kept pushing back the install until I got distracted on Tuesday. I wasn't too upset because my time with V10 was already limited as the car's going in to the SC for heat pump fix next week.

• Informative
Reactions: Msjulie and kavyboy
Did you notice that the "quick nav" as you call it has been moved? It's not at the top below the speedometer anymore, it is now moved to the bottom edge of the screen. It is not as easily visible as it used to be, and if you have the blindspot camera function turned on, the navigation directions are hidden whenever your turn signal is on. Another inexplicable UI decision that makes no sense!

My car is too old to have this feature, but it's on whenever the turn signals are on, even when sitting at a traffic light? That's definitely bad UI design.

I have an MS and I've never driven an M3 or MY, but my impression of the single screen was that it was going to get over crowded with information. With the MS and MX the key driving information like your speed is on the instrument cluster and you have options for the wings of the cluster. I have trip odometer and energy on mine.

The blind spot image might cover up the navigation instructions for those MS and MX with the equipment to do it. On the vertical screen MS and MX the map takes up almost the entire screen. I was thinking the other day if they just gave the option for the climate controls to be up all the time it would help with some of my biggest complaints about the interface. On the Model S and X there is plenty of room for this. Probably not on the 3/Y.

the problem is that driving the safest car on the market has become dangerous
What was simple and immediate before is now complicated and takes away the attention to driving
A car is not a video game and now this car is a stupid (and ugly) video game
It’s not the safest car. Yes it can protect you in case of accident but accident avoidance is complete trash.

My car is too old to have this feature, but it's on whenever the turn signals are on, even when sitting at a traffic light? That's definitely bad UI design.

I have an MS and I've never driven an M3 or MY, but my impression of the single screen was that it was going to get over crowded with information. With the MS and MX the key driving information like your speed is on the instrument cluster and you have options for the wings of the cluster. I have trip odometer and energy on mine.

The blind spot image might cover up the navigation instructions for those MS and MX with the equipment to do it. On the vertical screen MS and MX the map takes up almost the entire screen. I was thinking the other day if they just gave the option for the climate controls to be up all the time it would help with some of my biggest complaints about the interface. On the Model S and X there is plenty of room for this. Probably not on the 3/Y.
There is, but it takes over half the screen. Same problem the non-button access has to the wiper controls. It’s technically there but it takes over the entire map side of the screen.

There are many threads regarding the recent v11 update. Most posters seem with it (myself included). There is no way to undo the update, and history shows that Tesla is most likely to just make incremental updates to this new version. Sadly, we'll not get the old version back.
Bummer, this is what happens when Tech Geeks begin to run the world. This last update does indeed SUCK!

I just recently installed version 11 and I am not happy with things I noticed.

My main concern is that options I could use from the Home Screen are hidden now in some menu.

This has probably been covered in other posts but I notice that I felt the urge to make an account and write about them in the hopes that people have similar experience or know workarounds.

Here a list of things that come to mind:

- The choose profile button is gone. When my wife and me are near the car her iPhone always seems to win over my Android. So the car always thinks she will be driving while it is almost always me driving. So the car goes into wife modus and tries to crush me against the steering wheel. Normally I could just tap on her name on the main window and quickly tap my profile and it would stop crushing me. Speed is of the essence. Why did this super handy function have to go?

- When I navigate to a new destination it used to calculate at what percentage I would arrive. That information was used by me to decide if I should make a stop at a SC during the trip to get home on a higher percentage (because I know I have another trip a bit later during the day). Now I see nothing there. I heard I can scroll the destinations all the way down to see it, but why wouldn't it be visible at exactly the moment I am plotting the trip and are already looking at that spot?

- I live in a rather cold climate so seat heating is something I use a lot. There used to be 2 easily reached buttons for front seat heating. They seem to have been moved into a submenu.

- I thought I liked the blind spot camera's until I found out that it covers controls that I use. Yesterday I had a phone call that I wanted to end but I was waiting in line to move onto the highway with the blinking light on. The person on the other end for some reason did not end the call and I couldn't as the button was covered.

- It took me 2 days to find the energy line. Maybe because I am not a native English speaker (did not know it was called Energy App). I used that feature a lot to see if I will reach the destination and if it is ok to speed up or have to slow down.

- Every time I install an update I lose my internet connection and it will not come up after reboots. The only thing that seems to help is charging at a SC and afterwards reboot. I used to be able to see right away if I had an internet connection and how strong it was. Why was this super small icon moved from the screen? Now I have to go into some submenu to see what my internet status is?

- I miss the tire pressure swipe thing. It did not cover any screen until you swipe. But I saw other people mention this as well.

- Now the music bar is often entirely gone and I find it kind of hard to get it back. I seem to accidentally swipe it away.

What I do like:

- Being able to customize what apps are at the bottom. I hope they increase the amount.

There is no way to stop the update. Eventually, the yellow clock will turn black and it will install itself, even if you don’t want to. Or the service center will install it when you go there.
Resistance is futile - you are getting Sonic The Hedgehog no matter what.

• Informative
Reactions: BMW740iL

Based on threads here, polls on other forums and even on YouTube, this version seems the most disappointing ever - might I say even hated, certainly I'm no fan

Others will remind you that warranty requires eventual update but I'll risk that

Arrogance seems in abundance at Tesla, they can make the car much less useful, much less convenient and much less safe to operate and claim it's an improvement.

Based on threads here, polls on other forums and even on YouTube, this version seems the most disappointing ever - might I say even hated, certainly I'm no fan

Others will remind you that warranty requires eventual update but I'll risk that

Arrogance seems in abundance at Tesla, they can make the car much less useful, much less convenient and much less safe to operate and claim it's an improvement.
…similarly with Apple, others. Remember how “courageous” it was to remove the headset jack from the iPhone, immediately rendering useless all the wired headsets on the planet? Also, remember how ecologically-advanced Apple is to NOT include charging warts with new iPhones? Yeah, all about these “major improvements” that make the device as you aptly put it: “…much less useful, much less convenient…”

And doing so in a car vs. the minimal-risk of doing so for a smartphone…crazy talk.

@SalisburySam One thing about Apple's update nag, you can turn it off and it won't invalidate your warranty. Grr!

Edit: What's more annoying is that Tesla is doing this to a product I ALREADY OWN - I can choose not to buy a new phone that is missing features I want but they are forcing me to change from the product I wanted/paid $$$ for to something I do NOT want.

That's the worst evil I think

OMG! A hands full of bad user interface! Besides already listed, the super charging screen - Where is the progress info on the screen? It was separated and displayed in another area! For superchargers, I used to turn on the charging symbol to find all the super chargers on my way, now nothing displayed! Map does not zoom in anymore when you need to make a turn. Lots more defect designs!

Reactions: Msjulie
Cars are not phones - that is a false analogy. Cars kill people at a much higher rate than phones.
Also, my phone was never forcefully updated.
The software industry has the bad habit of budling fixes with “improvements” but Tesla takes it to a whole new level. Hell, look at the joke they call “release notes”. There is nothing there about making the car harder to operate.

My main concern is that options I could use from the Home Screen are hidden now in some menu.

This has probably been covered in other posts but I notice that I felt the urge to make an account and write about them in the hopes that people have similar experience or know workarounds.

Here a list of things that come to mind:

- The choose profile button is gone. When my wife and me are near the car her iPhone always seems to win over my Android. So the car always thinks she will be driving while it is almost always me driving. So the car goes into wife modus and tries to crush me against the steering wheel. Normally I could just tap on her name on the main window and quickly tap my profile and it would stop crushing me. Speed is of the essence. Why did this super handy function have to go?

- When I navigate to a new destination it used to calculate at what percentage I would arrive. That information was used by me to decide if I should make a stop at a SC during the trip to get home on a higher percentage (because I know I have another trip a bit later during the day). Now I see nothing there. I heard I can scroll the destinations all the way down to see it, but why wouldn't it be visible at exactly the moment I am plotting the trip and are already looking at that spot?

- I live in a rather cold climate so seat heating is something I use a lot. There used to be 2 easily reached buttons for front seat heating. They seem to have been moved into a submenu.

- I thought I liked the blind spot camera's until I found out that it covers controls that I use. Yesterday I had a phone call that I wanted to end but I was waiting in line to move onto the highway with the blinking light on. The person on the other end for some reason did not end the call and I couldn't as the button was covered.

- It took me 2 days to find the energy line. Maybe because I am not a native English speaker (did not know it was called Energy App). I used that feature a lot to see if I will reach the destination and if it is ok to speed up or have to slow down.

- Every time I install an update I lose my internet connection and it will not come up after reboots. The only thing that seems to help is charging at a SC and afterwards reboot. I used to be able to see right away if I had an internet connection and how strong it was. Why was this super small icon moved from the screen? Now I have to go into some submenu to see what my internet status is?

- I miss the tire pressure swipe thing. It did not cover any screen until you swipe. But I saw other people mention this as well.

- Now the music bar is often entirely gone and I find it kind of hard to get it back. I seem to accidentally swipe it away.

What I do like:

- Being able to customize what apps are at the bottom. I hope they increase the amount.
Our phones are both Android but the car often selects my wife's profile when we're both in the car, or if she was the last one to drive. It does that even if her phone is nowhere near. I get tricked because her profile uses Easy Entry so the seat is a long way back when I get in, but then it starts crushing me when I press the brake pedal. There's no longer any STOP button on the screen but I've read that touching any of the seat controls will stop the motion so that re-selecting the proper profile is not such an urgent requirement.

Reactions: Cheburashka
From the manual:

For example, you can designate a connected phone as the Priority Device. This is useful in situations where you have connected more than one phone, and both phones are frequently used in Model 3 at the same time. Model 3 automatically attempts to connect to the priority device before others.