Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the manual:

For example, you can designate a connected phone as the Priority Device. This is useful in situations where you have connected more than one phone, and both phones are frequently used in Model 3 at the same time. Model 3 automatically attempts to connect to the priority device before others.
Thanks, I still don't think that excuses the removal of profile (and many other useful details) at the top row of the screen

Reactions: finman100
From the manual:

For example, you can designate a connected phone as the Priority Device. This is useful in situations where you have connected more than one phone, and both phones are frequently used in Model 3 at the same time. Model 3 automatically attempts to connect to the priority device before others.
Yes, but it's talking about Bluetooth connectivity, not the key function. No matter who is driving the car, my phone is the priority device. If I'm a passenger and my wife wants to access her phone contacts, it has to be manually connected to replace mine as the active communication device.

Thanks, I still don't think that excuses the removal of profile (and many other useful details) at the top row of the screen
Agree 100%, although the two issues aren't related. However, there is an impact of V11 in that changing the connected device is now a much more tedious process. I've also discovered that functions of the dashcam icon at the top of the display that used to save clips in V10 when driving, or open the viewer when parked, have now been split. The new icon just controls the viewer, and if you press it when the car is moving you just get an error message. Saving clips requires two steps now, opening the Controls page and pressing the dashcam icon that is shown there (at the far right side!). Aargh!

Yes, but it's talking about Bluetooth connectivity, not the key function. No matter who is driving the car, my phone is the priority device. If I'm a passenger and my wife wants to access her phone contacts, it has to be manually connected to replace mine as the active communication device.

My phone is the priority because I drive the car 90+% of the time (my partner likes smaller cars, she's waiting for the Model 2). My phone connects automatically when I get in the car whether she's with me or not. When she wants to connect her phone to the car for streaming, we just turn off Bluetooth on my phone. I turn off Bluetooth on my phone anyway whenever I'm not in the car to save battery life.

If I have to speculate, there are serious hardware issues with the heat pump in very cold climate and they are testing various software solutions to fix it. So, those updates are not fixed; they are live testing.

I think for people to become comfortable with voice commands they need to do some research...there are may online guides to hundreds of the different voice commands. Spend some time on the ones important to you (perhaps seat heaters, radio, wipers etc) and you'll never press a button again!
Thank you for the explanation. I will definitely try that. But as I lose internet access after every (minor) update voice controls often do not work for me.

I think for people to become comfortable with voice commands they need to do some research...there are may online guides to hundreds of the different voice commands. Spend some time on the ones important to you (perhaps seat heaters, radio, wipers etc) and you'll never press a button again!
Problem number 1 - There is no official list of voice commands. There are a bunch of unofficial sites from random people who have compiled lists.
Problem number 2 - Tesla changes the commands with each update so whatever you learn may not work in 6 months
Problem number 3 - You have to be exact with your verbiage. Close don't count so if you forget what word to use it won't work. Many phrases that should work don't
Problem number 4 - many people don't like talking to their car
Problem number 5 - voice commands don't work if you don't have internet access
Problem number 6 - voice commands don't work if you're on the phone
Problem number 7 - voice commands interrupt whatever you're listening to
Problem number 8 - voice commands don't work well if you have an accent
Problem number 9 - voice commands interrupt any conversation you may be having with a passenger
Problem number 10 - voice commands don't work well if there's a lot of background noise (I an turn on the defroster but not turn it off)
Problem number 11 - voice commands don't work well in other languages.

Except for that voice commands work perfectly!

Problem number 1 - There is no official list of voice commands. There are a bunch of unofficial sites from random people who have compiled lists.
Problem number 2 - Tesla changes the commands with each update so whatever you learn may not work in 6 months
Problem number 3 - You have to be exact with your verbiage. Close don't count so if you forget what word to use it won't work. Many phrases that should work don't
Problem number 4 - many people don't like talking to their car
Problem number 5 - voice commands don't work if you don't have internet access
Problem number 6 - voice commands don't work if you're on the phone
Problem number 7 - voice commands interrupt whatever you're listening to
Problem number 8 - voice commands don't work well if you have an accent
Problem number 9 - voice commands interrupt any conversation you may be having with a passenger
Problem number 10 - voice commands don't work well if there's a lot of background noise (I an turn on the defroster but not turn it off)
Problem number 11 - voice commands don't work well in other languages.

Except for that voice commands work perfectly!
Solution number 1 - That's the fun of voice commands...so may different options but many lists do exist. I can use VC for nearly all the things I want ot do and I got those from non official lists!

Solution number 2 - No, Tesla have changed actually very few commands and the online lists are updated frequently. For all the commands I use only 2 have changed in over 24 months.

Solution number 3 - So as in nearly ALL voice command apps...you need to be precise...luckily Tesla gives you several ways to say lots of commands.

Solution number 4 - That's only a problem for the people who actually think they are talking to their car! I'm guessing they prefer to only touch and caress theirs...!

Solution number 5 - Luckily 99% of people's drives are where there is access

Solution number 6 - then when you are on the phone press a button! That's hard eh?! LOL. Better yet, keep calls to a minimum while actually driving, its safer!

Solution number 7 - if its uninterruptable then press the buttons...why is it detractors always think it is black and white?

Solution number 8 - I have an accent, works for me but hey, think of it as helping to improve your spoken English! Hidden benefit?

Solution number 9 - if you are driving with Miss Daisy or Adolf Hitler then just press the buttons, otherwise why would they care?

Solution number 10 - I just tested it with fan on full...worked fine. If it doesnt, guess what, just press the buttons!

Solution number 11 - I can only hope Tesla expand this so other countries can enjoy the benefits of VC

You seem to think that VC should either fully replace screens or go away. I prefer giving people options rather than one size fits all. Perhaps Tesla will allow further customization of the screen so users can decided what goes where but until they do, voice commands remain a good alternative for people not afraid to speak when they have other people in their car, are confident enough to use their voice to control their car, that drive where 99% of us drive our Teslas most of the time, ie in cellular range, that have the cerebral capacity to understand it isnt only VC or just screen, but a rather nice marriage of the two!

Thank you for the explanation. I will definitely try that. But as I lose internet access after every (minor) update voice controls often do not work for me.
Sounds like something wrong with your car then if you lose internet access after an update! That also means you have no maps either. I would contact Tesla SC and have them look at it because that is not normal behavior. I'm sorry other people seemingly were happy you lose connection according to the thumbs up. Good luck in getting it fixed.

Agree 100%, although the two issues aren't related. However, there is an impact of V11 in that changing the connected device is now a much more tedious process. I've also discovered that functions of the dashcam icon at the top of the display that used to save clips in V10 when driving, or open the viewer when parked, have now been split. The new icon just controls the viewer, and if you press it when the car is moving you just get an error message. Saving clips requires two steps now, opening the Controls page and pressing the dashcam icon that is shown there (at the far right side!). Aargh!
Yes it is a 2 stage process but much easier than trying to correctly hit the tiny icon at the top of the screen in v10 which required you to take you eyes of the screen for much longer to try and hit that little thing. Now its just hit that large car icon (which you don't even need to look for now!) and then press the enormous record button...much much easier and safer to find and hit than the tiny little record button before.

Sounds like something wrong with your car then if you lose internet access after an update! That also means you have no maps either. I would contact Tesla SC and have them look at it because that is not normal behavior. I'm sorry other people seemingly were happy you lose connection according to the thumbs up. Good luck in getting it fixed.
I have had it back for service 2 times. They cannot fix it it seems. There seems to be a sort of backup internet that allows me to navigate and it shows the map after a long while but it is extremely slow. I cannot play music, video etc. No voice commands. The connectivity icon says that there is no internet.

Count me in the voice command hater category. Even if they worked perfectly I would choose not to use them most of the time. They are very useful for complicated things like changing the navigation destination while driving or doing a media search and I appreciate them for that. But as a substitute for what should be a simple single button press the are moronic and highlight UI/UX design failure if they are the easiest/only way to do those things.

Solution Number 6: “Boss, excuse me for a moment, I need to turn on the defogger in my car. The button is in the glove compartment and I have to use undocumented voice commands so I don’t crash“. 5 min later: “John, are you still there? Who is this Tesla petson you are cursing at? Isn’t he dead already?”

My car looses internet connection for 5-15 minutes after I exit the underground parking lot at work.
AT&T signal is marginal in many parts of the country, and Tesla's TCU fails to re-attempt attach after first ~60 seconds of failed retries.
It's been that way for the past 3+ years. Not much you, or SC, can do about that.

So yes, on the way home I always get lousy GPS location on the map, no media streaming (unless you enable Verizon hot spot on your phone), and no voice controls.

Solution number 1 - That's the fun of voice commands...so may different options but many lists do exist. I can use VC for nearly all the things I want ot do and I got those from non official lists!

Lets just accept the reality - not everyone WANTS to talk to his/her devices, including the car.
We, as a society, have BTDT with voice interfaces to computers and voice dictation of documents instead of typing - small minority of the folks embrace and love it, 95+% of the population hates it and doesn't use it.
Most folks can press buttons (type, hit a control stalk) way faster than the can speak + natural language parser can interpret + API call back can respond net of over-the-air latency.

It's reality of life. No point in ignoring or hating it.

a

I prefer giving people options rather than one size fits all.

The very best option Tesla could give us is to allow not changing the UI at all if we choose. Next comes letting us customize the UI so we loose nothing of what (existing owners) had

- meaningful information in the top row always, not just on error (cell signal etc)
- Any/all important functions 1-tap away on the 'home row'. (like V10)
- the side cards if we like them
- more map, less cartoon car

etc etc

From your post to Elon's ear...

I have had it back for service 2 times. They cannot fix it it seems. There seems to be a sort of backup internet that allows me to navigate and it shows the map after a long while but it is extremely slow. I cannot play music, video etc. No voice commands. The connectivity icon says that there is no internet.
It sounds like it can't make an LTE connection so it defaults to a 2G connection which is the equivalent of dialup. With you phone you can put it in airplane mode to force a reset of the cellular connection but you can't do that on a Tesla. My guess is it stays like that until you park it and it goes to sleep.

My car looses internet connection for 5-15 minutes after I exit the underground parking lot at work.
AT&T signal is marginal in many parts of the country, and Tesla's TCU fails to re-attempt attach after first ~60 seconds of failed retries.
It's been that way for the past 3+ years. Not much you, or SC, can do about that.

So yes, on the way home I always get lousy GPS location on the map, no media streaming (unless you enable Verizon hot spot on your phone), and no voice controls.

Lets just accept the reality - not everyone WANTS to talk to his/her devices, including the car.
We, as a society, have BTDT with voice interfaces to computers and voice dictation of documents instead of typing - small minority of the folks embrace and love it, 95+% of the population hates it and doesn't use it.
Most folks can press buttons (type, hit a control stalk) way faster than the can speak + natural language parser can interpret + API call back can respond net of over-the-air latency.

It's reality of life. No point in ignoring or hating it.

a
Excactly, no point ignoring or hating it. Voice commands are great if you get over the learning curve. I push VC as a possible aid to those who now apparently find it too confusing to navigate v11....that's it. You can take it or leave it!

Regarding your problems with signal...your earlier post said you lost connection after an update...that is why I said go to a SC because that is NOT normal operation. Now it appears you are saying it is nothing to do with an update but rather leaving an underground parking lot. I'd still suggest it might be your car because whenever I come out of an underground lot my car connects in less than 30 seconds. Now, if the issue is marginal signal where you are that is another problem but thankfully for the vast majority of us, that isn't an issue.