Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Its too complicated to figure out the update. I cannot find the controls I need while I'm driving. Total disaster. It's making me hate my car. Why is everything we need while driving hidden?????
While I'm not thrilled with the new update, I have to say that it's not all that hard to figure out the changes and adapt to them. But the first thing everyone should do with any update is to sit in the car, and out about all the changes before getting on the road. I sat in the car for about 10 minutes going thru it all. Once having done that, I had no problem while driving because I knew what to do. It's like when you get in a rental car: look around you, see where the controls are, and then and only then, get on the road

The thing that probably bugs me the most is the menu name “Pedals & Steering”. Who came up with that and thought it was a good name? “Driving” made so much more sense.
I admit it is a strange sounding name, but I think I understand what they were going for.

The two pedals and the steering wheel are the 3 principal "controllers" - the physical analog inputs that maneuver the vehicle. So they grouped them together on one page. On this page there are adjustments for the mapping (influence) of each controller on the driving experience. So I definitely see the rational in grouping these together, but still the name is odd. "Driving" was a good name but might be a little too vague since there are a lot more to driving than just these 3 things. I am just guessing here of course.

I'm trying to think of a better name for input controller maps but so far drawing a blank.

Reactions: Sigma4Life
If you do, take the time out BEFORE you drive learning the new SW changes. It's what I do when SW changes (on any product).
Thank you for pointing out the exact reason why the new UI is a fail. No car should require a study session before driving it. How would that work exactly on rental Teslas as they update their software?

Thank you for pointing out the exact reason why the new UI is a fail. No car should require a study session before driving it. How would that work exactly on rental Teslas as they update their software?
Nah, you have the most advanced vehicle in the market which is computer driven.

Geez....whenever I bought a German vehicle, ie BMW, Mercedes, Porsche (lol at understanding their control panels at first) or Audi it was always confusing to start. I always had to familiarize myself with the setup before driving.

Moreover, Eevery time I rent a car I review the controls before driving.

A few things bugging me....first, calendar popup no longer an option? No settings to do that anymore? My calendar items are there, but that feature is now MIA...just like passenger lumbar...which I use everytime in my wife's BMW when I ride passenger...I know, old issue, but WTF is Tesla thinking with some of this.

Icons at the bottom, hey great idea, but let's not be Apple, who Elon supposedly hates, and only allow 4 icons and two recents...and let me put shortcuts to often used menu items so I don't have to two button press to find the tire pressure anymore. Shortcut options to often used other items like AP/Driving etc...let me put those on there..no reason they can't allow 10 icons at the bottom, plenty of room Tesla. I really wish I could be in on these conversations and somebody is proposing and pitching this stuff so I can pipe and say huh?!?!

They need to sort this thing out in a hurry....

Other stuff I like but nothing Earth shattering...many things have become more button presses or complicated and not simplified or convenient on many levels.

A few things bugging me....first, calendar popup no longer an option? No settings to do that anymore? My calendar items are there, but that feature is now MIA...just like passenger lumbar...which I use everytime in my wife's BMW when I ride passenger...I know, old issue, but WTF is Tesla thinking with some of this.

Icons at the bottom, hey great idea, but let's not be Apple, who Elon supposedly hates, and only allow 4 icons and two recents...and let me put shortcuts to often used menu items so I don't have to two button press to find the tire pressure anymore. Shortcut options to often used other items like AP/Driving etc...let me put those on there..no reason they can't allow 10 icons at the bottom, plenty of room Tesla. I really wish I could be in on these conversations and somebody is proposing and pitching this stuff so I can pipe and say huh?!?!

They need to sort this thing out in a hurry....

Other stuff I like but nothing Earth shattering...many things have become more button presses or complicated and not simplified or convenient on many levels.
The limit of 4 custom and 2 favorites is because that's all they can fit on vertical format screens. If they give the 3/Y more functionality than S/X, owners might complain. (lol). But also, keeps the software more universal across models.

So if they have room to put the seat heaters / defrost back on the 3/Y, but not in S/X (as permanent buttons, not customizable options), my bet is they won't do it, as it might make the S/X feel like a step down. Can't give the plebes more than you give the masters of the universe.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
I've spent some time getting used to the new changes, so it's less likely I'll crash trying to find what I need. I still love my Tesla, but these are bad, bad UI changes for a car.

Related, I recently figured I would try voice command for something simple since that's everybody's "solution". I said "dark mode", no luck. "night display", no luck. "Change display to dark mode", no luck. I simply couldn't find a simple voice command that would actually change the screen from normal to night display. Not to mention "show tire pressure" no longer works, and don't get me started on the broken GPS on the browser disabling TeslaWaze.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sporty
I've spent some time getting used to the new changes, so it's less likely I'll crash trying to find what I need. I still love my Tesla, but these are bad, bad UI changes for a car.

Related, I recently figured I would try voice command for something simple since that's everybody's "solution". I said "dark mode", no luck. "night display", no luck. "Change display to dark mode", no luck. I simply couldn't find a simple voice command that would actually change the screen from normal to night display. Not to mention "show tire pressure" no longer works, and don't get me started on the broken GPS on the browser disabling TeslaWaze.
Yeah, and try telling the wipers to go faster or up or increase, and they'll actually go down! It will register your words correctly but then do the opposite! This blatant bug existed prior to the update.

Reactions: WattsappMTL

it is an absolute STUPID update and I hate everything about it. jesus god, Elon, what the hell is wrong with you? USB drives no longer work. stupid apps that need no change are now movable, yet the important functions of the god damn car are now one more menu below the main screen???? holy crap, this is complete and utter rubbish!!

No, I am NOT done ranting...
Worst Christmas present ever!

Can’t believe there isn’t a thread on this already. I’m annoyed by the much smaller browser window size on 11.0 compared to 10.x. There is a big bar at that top with “Arcade” “Entertainment” etc. that did not use to be there. Also, the window height is further reduced by a gap at the top where the ambient temperature and time is displayed. Can anyone explain why this is an improvement over what we had before?