Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The limit of 4 custom and 2 favorites is because that's all they can fit on vertical format screens. If they give the 3/Y more functionality than S/X, owners might complain. (lol). But also, keeps the software more universal across models.

I think you mean "legacy Model S/X", i.e. those with vertical screens. It's ok to have more features than those cars. 😇

Reactions: OxBrew
Schedule a service appointment for Tesla to roll back the update. If we all do that, it'll get their attention!
Yes, this! Both our Teslas have upcoming appointments for unrelated things. I made sure to add items to each complaining about the new UI and as ALWAYS, I complained about the fact that we still cant have text messaging working properly on Android phones in a Tesla.

Reactions: MrSpock
I love the update. Just drove a thousand miles with it and it was fine. Everything works for me...only slight issue is Netflix takes a few seconds longer to load. As for the other complaints I have read I will just say...voice command is your friend!
Many voice commands don't work, such as wiper control or tire pressure, and why should the driver need to interrupt music to change the passenger seat heater setting? Some controls need to be accessible on the screen.

Reactions: K5TRX
Yes, this! Both our Teslas have upcoming appointments for unrelated things. I made sure to add items to each complaining about the new UI and as ALWAYS, I complained about the fact that we still cant have text messaging working properly on Android phones in a Tesla.
After adding this info to my Service appointment, Tesla just called me to discuss it. Spent 20 minutes discussing with them the frustrating from the whole community on v11 changes, test messages not working since 2019, and Legacy S/X owners being left in the dust.

She seemed genuinely interested, promised she was notating everything and will follow-up in the appropriate places for fixes and comments.

I really think anyone affected or frustrated should do the same. Tesla seems to actually want to hear from us but only through the service channel (and Elon's twitter of course)

Reactions: MrSpock
I guess I'm part of the minority on this thread, but I personally like V11. Overall I find it to be an improvement. The only area that feels a like a regression to me is the music player interface, otherwise for my use case (and my wife's) this update makes most things easier.

For example...

- The cards were always a bit flaky in my experience, especially while driving. I find the new phone controls and HomeLink control location to be much easier and more convenient
- Touch targets throughout the OS are generally larger and easier to hit
- A number of controls have been moved towards the driver, and are generally easier to consistently hit

It seems 80% of the complaints here are surrounding the seat heater and defroster controls. While I can understand for people that used these frequently having to toggle the climate quick controls or the actual climate controls means they are 1 level down now, these are not (in my experience) controls that need precise and frequent activation. Usually if it cold, I'd sit in the car turn the seat heaters on and drive off, and I normally don't need to fiddle with it 5 times during the drive.

Likewise usually defrosting is something that needs to be used when the car has been sitting somewhere for a while. I don't find I toggle the defroster very frequently while driving, I can't think of too many scenarios where windows suddenly "frost up" while driving and require immediate action (unless climate control was turned off completely, which I never really do). Admittedly I'm from California, so maybe I'm missing something here.

Clearly there is some room for improvement in certain areas (which is pretty common on the initial release of a major UI change), but in general in a lot of areas I find things to be a lot less cluttered.

I think this whole thing also boils down to use cases. I don't personally check my tire pressures constantly (or the efficiency stats of the car). While I realize there are people here who do based on the previous, I suspect that represents a relatively small percentage of the total Tesla owner population.

Thanks for playing, but given that you live in Orange County, maybe your opinions on features primarily used in colder climates don't mean much and the opinions of those who actually use them do?

Or do you think people are just making up the frequency with which they need to, say, use the defogger during normal drives?

Speaking of which, given that the temperature never drops below freezing in Orange County, I doubt your windows frost up…ever.

Reactions: tyguy and MrSpock
Thanks for playing, but given that you live in Orange County, maybe your opinions on features primarily used in colder climates don't mean much and the opinions of those who actually use them do?

Or do you think people are just making up the frequency with which they need to, say, use the defogger during normal drives?

Speaking of which, given that the temperature never drops below freezing in Orange County, I doubt your windows frost up…ever.
They don't, you're right. Basically here a defroster is more for defogging a window on a "cold" night. There's isn't really much urgency in it's use while driving, so I admit I may not be able to relate to your use case.

Can I go back to the previous UI? The new UI has now spread to both of my Model 3s. It's basically not usable for an old guy like me. Everything is buried.
I don't have a choice but to drive my old bimmer around now. I really hope to get back in the model 3. Is it possible?
Thanks.

No, you cant, so if thats preventing you from actually driving the car as you say, you will need to sell it (or both of them since you say you have 2 of them).

In the rare circumstances that you have passengers, they are talking and you need heating then just use the button or talk over the people. Nobody will care. If the front passenger wants a heated seat then just use voice control for front passenger seat or rear passenger seat etc. Voice commands cover every seat. I rarely touch a button nowadays. You may not like voice commands but I love them. They are very accurate as far as I am concerned. Clearly you don't like them. C'est la vie!
Except that too many times the voice controls don't work, due to no connectivity or something else. Voice controls have been iffy for me for so long that I've developed the habit of not using them. Maybe V11 has improved voice control but why does this require such a degradation of manual UI efficiency? And why so drastic?

From an article about why we have blinking cursors but the premise remains the same across the board

“Much of good HCI [Human computer interaction] design is about the interface letting the user work effectively. It’s not really designed to make the user feel anything, except perhaps in control. Good HCI design lets the user concentrate on the work, not the interface… They are working in the moment without self-consciousness. Their sense of time, place, and self dissolve.”

Tesla's interface right now requires way too much thinking and trying to remember where to go to do something simple

The more I use the new update.. the more it bugs me every time I go to do something that should be simple to do. ::vent off:: :)

…The more I use the new update.. the more it bugs me every time I go to do something that should be simple to do. ::vent off:: :)

Oh, vent off is easy. Just hold the temperature setting until it goes dark and your vent/fan will be in passive airflow mode. Glad I could help since Tesla is too busy to receive, let alone respond to, feedback.

😄

After adding this info to my Service appointment, Tesla just called me to discuss it. Spent 20 minutes discussing with them the frustrating from the whole community on v11 changes, test messages not working since 2019, and Legacy S/X owners being left in the dust.

She seemed genuinely interested, promised she was notating everything and will follow-up in the appropriate places for fixes and comments.

I really think anyone affected or frustrated should do the same. Tesla seems to actually want to hear from us but only through the service channel (and Elon's twitter of course)
This is good to read. I'll follow my own suggestion and make a service appointment just for this problem. I tweeted the mess to Elon on Christmas but I doubt anyone saw my post.

What specifically do you think degraded with the new update and should be easier?

Most everything improved:

-auto seat warmer. not only does it auto set the temp, it knows whether a seat should be heated based on detection of passenger.

-temp control is multi-controllable with swipe, click, slider, mini pop-up, and full menu popup.

-full card for odometer. 2 clicks and i see all the measurements simultaneous, without having to scroll through.

-clicking stalk gives pop-up with direct access to lamps, auto highbeam, AND foglights.

-waypoints AND editing of itinerary.

-charging info always visible

etc

There is actually an update sucks thread? I'm not sure why my message was moved here. I just need a functional UI. I don't have any issue with other updates.
Anyway, it'll be sad to part with both cars, hopefully the i4 will have a more usable UI and/or physical buttons for an old fart like me.

Reactions: tyguy