Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I’m covering only 88 fps (60mph) going into fog. To turn on fog lights in my:

1964 Ford Thunderbird - doesn’t exist, don’t bother.
2012 Nissan LEAF - press fog lights button, where muscle memory has made doing so automatic, quick, and can be done blindly.
2018 Model 3 first occurrence - tap headlight icon on driving animation. Nope, that’s not it. Flip left stalk forward and aft looking at touchscreen hoping for an icon that could represent fog light control. Fail. Start to panic/anger/swear, heavy on the swearing. Pull over to the shoulder (thankfully there is one), stop the car, tap car icon, look for and find lights option hoping that’s where the fog lights control is, tap fog lights, rejoice that you’ve found the damn thing, resume trip, plan for the double martini at destination where normally a single would suffice.
2018 Model 3 after drive above but before double martini - in your garage, find and set fog lights to always come on and forget about it hoping the next update doesn’t change it again.

Yeah, V10, V11, Vwhatever, sooo much easier. Robotaxi goal notwithstanding, I still have to drive the car today. Can we make it less of a gaming and entertainment console and more of an albeit amazing car?

Despite all the hype, I think robotaxis are a long ways off, if they are ever legal. They may be legalized in certain areas, but I don't see legislatures going whole hog and allowing vehicles too drive themselves unsupervised for many years.

In some states having your fog lights on when it's not foggy is a ticket-able offense.

What states? I know many states have strict laws about the use of light bars, but I haven't seen anything that limits the use of the type of fog lights standard on production cars that are out there.

Despite all the hype, I think robotaxis are a long ways off, if they are ever legal. They may be legalized in certain areas, but I don't see legislatures going whole hog and allowing vehicles too drive themselves unsupervised for many years.

What states? I know many states have strict laws about the use of light bars, but I haven't seen anything that limits the use of the type of fog lights standard on production cars that are out there.
Louisiana comes immediately to mind.

Louisiana comes immediately to mind.

The cops may be misinterpreting the law, but I looked up the laws for Louisiana.

This says fog lamps must meet the requirements of 32:321
2011 Louisiana Laws :: Revised Statutes :: TITLE 32 — Motor vehicles and traffic regulation :: RS 32:317 — Spotlights and auxiliary lamps

and 32:321 basically just says the lights can't blind anybody (like high beams on when there is other traffic)
2011 Louisiana Laws :: Revised Statutes :: TITLE 32 — Motor vehicles and traffic regulation :: RS 32:321 — Multiple beam road lighting equipment

There is also this:
Louisiana Revised Statutes Tit. 32, § 322 | FindLaw

It's only a $25 ticket so probably nobody bothers to fight it if they get a ticket. It wouldn't be the first time I have heard to the cops misapplying the law. My partner is a lawyer and I have heard these sorts of stories about Washington too. Though the statute for car lighting in Washington is much simpler than Louisiana. It basically boils down to: you can't blind other drivers and you can't have lighting that makes your car resemble a police car's lights.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yes, this! Both our Teslas have upcoming appointments for unrelated things. I made sure to add items to each complaining about the new UI and as ALWAYS, I complained about the fact that we still cant have text messaging working properly on Android phones in a Tesla.
This is strange, but you have the Tesla team posting on the forum now about being able to make your own light show and you want the UI and texting fixed?

People need to stop drinking the koolaid over Tesla, that ended for me after the first service appt. and delivery experience. Got worse with FSD Beta and now the minor issue with V11. And another service appt when my telescoping steering wheel motor failed full forward and drove around for 6-7 weeks like that.

This is what you get from a software company. Not sure why people are surprised.

• Funny
Reactions: ContrarianDC
is this a joke comment? it would accomplish turning off the HVAC. i don't need it. i just want my seat warm, not air blowing in my face, or anywhere else for that matter.
Not a joke. You said you needed to "turn off HVAC" to enable rear seat heaters. It's clear now that you meant "turn on HVAC".

You're right. This wasn't a big bother to me before, but doing the same for front seat heaters and front and rear defrosters is really dumb.

Sure, I meant that to accomplish the end task of turning on the heaters, there’s now an extra step of having to turn off HVAC that wasn’t there before, because pulling up the UI to turn them on also turns on the climate.

This reminds me that I’ve wanted a way to see HVAC status on the original software (8) ever since I got the car by bringing up the card and just leaving it up. I don’t think it’s necessary to turn on HVAC when that card comes up. Maybe if they fixed that it could solve a bunch of these problems.

The cops may be misinterpreting the law, but I looked up the laws for Louisiana.

This says fog lamps must meet the requirements of 32:321
2011 Louisiana Laws :: Revised Statutes :: TITLE 32 — Motor vehicles and traffic regulation :: RS 32:317 — Spotlights and auxiliary lamps

and 32:321 basically just says the lights can't blind anybody (like high beams on when there is other traffic)
2011 Louisiana Laws :: Revised Statutes :: TITLE 32 — Motor vehicles and traffic regulation :: RS 32:321 — Multiple beam road lighting equipment

There is also this:
Louisiana Revised Statutes Tit. 32, § 322 | FindLaw

It's only a $25 ticket so probably nobody bothers to fight it if they get a ticket. It wouldn't be the first time I have heard to the cops misapplying the law. My partner is a lawyer and I have heard these sorts of stories about Washington too. Though the statute for car lighting in Washington is much simpler than Louisiana. It basically boils down to: you can't blind other drivers and you can't have lighting that makes your car resemble a police car's lights.
Let me sure I understand this correctly. Because of bone-headed design decision I have to keep the fog lights on all the time (anything about efficiency?) and then fight a ticket I may get? Vs. just having a good UI design for my $100k+ car.

Reactions: tyguy and finman100
I thought I'd give the latest software update a chance before criticizing. It's now been around 2 weeks. I can say that it really does suck. It's counter-intuitive and requires more screen taps to do simple things, which is dangerous, since our eyes should be on the road as much as possible. The previous software was excellent. Now I have futz around with the screen more which is not safe. Why change something good into something shitty? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is there a way to revert back to the previous software??

Why change something good into something shitty? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Is there a way to revert back to the previous software??
A great question, but a trend that seems super common in the modern software landscape (Android 11 -> Android 12 being a great (subjective) recent example). But at least my life does not depend on my phone clock being ugly. Regarding reverting, Tesla does not allow it. The only time I have EVER heard of them doing it is if a new firmware caused a significant hardware issue (like something essential not working at all).

U wot m8?

Keep all lights on whenever required, no reason to turn fogs on and off, it's led lights you won't burn them out or drain your battery

-Fog lights are not required at all times. Some cars don't even have them.
-Most jurisdiction regulate that they must be off in normal conditions.
-e.g. atleast in this market, even if you turn them on while operating, they turn off by default after stopping/restarting the car.

Moreover, the entire post was tongue in cheek. It alludes to the previous suggestion that V11 adding ONE extra click for defrost is soooo complex and burdensome that it is deleterious to safety.

Other aspects related to same climate family were improved: controls moving closer to both driver and pax; not accidentally poking the seat warmer when changing the temp; seat warmer itself can be automated; etc.

A few things could be characterized as regressed (hiding of the map orientation)
Other things got better. In net, I think overall it's great.

People in tech will say this, and the angered responses in this thread confirmed it: no matter what you to do software, the following will happen

1641850181718.png