Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supplemental controls for some functions are absolutely possible. There are already some on the market (S3XY buttons, etc), but they all seem to have their limitations. Certainly a lot more room for innovation in this space, and looking like a good market to get into.

It would be awesome if Tesla would give this space a little support. If they don’t want to fix it, crack the door open here and the user base will help.

I interpreted his tweet to mean that he didn’t think third parties should be messing with the interface. In general I agree, but I’d also say 3rd parties shouldn’t need to mess with the interface!

No, I would strongly argue against an open API UI. Think about the potential problems that opens up. Right now, Tesla has access to everything, sole control and the can easily test the code they write. If they open up the code they need to change the configuration of the OS so it has public and private APIs, they’d need to develop and maintain programmer resources, they’d need to develop a protocol for installing 3rd party apps, they’d have to worry about security and sandboxing and they’d have to worry about bugs in the software taking down the system. Anyone who’s installed software on their computer with a bug or that’s interfered with other software or caused it to crash can appreciate this.

I don’t like V11 but I think Tesla should fix it and bringing 3rd parties in will only complicate the picture.
I mostly agree. I could imagine a sandboxed environment with a very limited sdk that would still allow for a lot of cool things to be developed by 3rd parties. (Not taking over the whole UI but some limited gadgets…)

But I don’t think Teslas software team is good enough to do it safely. I also think they don’t understand that. So while I would suggest doing other things (like making fixes to some basic stuff), I wouldn’t be surprised by it happening.

Reactions: sleepydoc
My car downloaded a firmware, via the cars mobile network, I assume, around a month ago. I had deleted all data networks, to avoid this. Pushed via Tesla connectivity, is the only conclusion.

All the more reason to ditch the premium connectivity... 😂

My three most-hated new 'features' in V11:

1) Before, I could get in the car and tell at a glance if the seat heaters were on and what setting they were at. No more. Now I have to check it EVERY TIME since there is no visual indicator. To say nothing of adjusting it.. .

2) I used to keep the trip card up all the time to see how efficiently I was driving, or whether consumption was off the norm for some reason. No more. Oh sorry, we took that away. Why? I dunno...

3) After having broken USB album art thumbnails over a year ago, they finally fixed them again a couple months ago. Yay! Now with V11, they decided to make them 1/2 the size they were before, while keeping the amount of screen real estate allocated to them the same. What in the actual f*ck?

Who releases this kind of dipshittery?

So we're stuck with an excellent piece of EV machinery 5-6 generations above anything the competition has to offer, but with a brain dead interface.
Time for an opensource aftermarket MCU that can plug and go. Maybe one that doesn't support autopilot and all that baloney, but one that is customizable, snap in, and geared for those people who still want to DRIVE the car. - P3 and Plaid owners!

Tesla's internal software is quite good. Their cars are the most energy efficient in the world. Even today they get more range per KWH per Kg of car than any car company in the world.

They have always lagged behind the competition in a lot of UI areas. Many cars have had top down views made up of a composite of all the exterior cameras for a couple of years now. A lot of other brands have better infotainment interfaces than Tesla too. Having bigger displays they can get more stuff on there, but while the move to virtual buttons is cheaper to make (that's why cell phones lost physical keyboards), having physical buttons in something like a car is better for functions the driver needs to do often.

Aftermarket passive systems that monitor the CAN bus and tell you various things going on with the car already exist, but opening up the interface to anyone accessing operation critical systems is a huge liability problem for the OEM because if a third party screws up the implementation and something goes wrong, both the third party and the OEM is going to get sued and the OEM might not be able to get out of the lawsuit because they allowed it to happen.

A third party can come up with an alternative interface that is unauthorized, but it would likely void all warranties. Which would make it a very limited market.

I have thought that an aftermarket instrument cluster for the 3/Y that basically brings the S/X interface to those cars would be an improvement. It gives you more screen real estate. With the landscape oriented center screen on the new S/X it would be even easier to implement.

I believe this is exactly what he meant. If you listen to this video the context in which he made this statement is very clear. Elon is discussing the AP attempting to solve for the best path to take through a complex intersection. He explains that if the human driver had to intervene then this action is effectively an error indication to the network. If we assume the human driver is the correct response, for example, then technically the error is the difference between what the autopilot wanted to do and what the human wanted to do.

1:14, "The ones where there are no interventions, are the right ones".

That makes more sense. But there will also be cases where a nervous driver takes over for the AI and does it wrong too. My mother was such a bad driver she drove up on curbs making left turns and hit neighbor's cars twice when backing out of the driveway on a wide residential street. She was also a nervous nelly who was constantly worrying about everythingont seem to show any interest in allowing users to really customize things to that level.

All the more reason to ditch the premium connectivity... 😂

My three most-hated new 'features' in V11:

1) Before, I could get in the car and tell at a glance if the seat heaters were on and what setting they were at. No more. Now I have to check it EVERY TIME since there is no visual indicator. To say nothing of adjusting it.. .

2) I used to keep the trip card up all the time to see how efficiently I was driving, or whether consumption was off the norm for some reason. No more. Oh sorry, we took that away. Why? I dunno...

3) After having broken USB album art thumbnails over a year ago, they finally fixed them again a couple months ago. Yay! Now with V11, they decided to make them 1/2 the size they were before, while keeping the amount of screen real estate allocated to them the same. What in the actual f*ck?

Who releases this kind of dipshittery?

At least the older Model S/X still have #2, but #1 and #3 are broken for me too.

i'm losing track of what's serious and what isn't, but it sounds like you should join tesla's development team with how dismissive you're being.

it's not about complexity. making the driver interact with the screen more frequently (more taps) and with higher precision (buttons in the middle of the screen where you can't brace your hand and tap them easily) absolutely, without question results in forcing the driver to take their eyes off the road and lose concentration for a longer period of time.
This shows exactly what I suspected: peoples issues stems from their misunderstanding of the software.

The defrost button ISNT only in the middle of the screen. It is also on the BOTTOM of the screen - similar to before, where you can “brace your hand”. It is next to the climate arrows.

I even posted a picture of the darn things.

Once again I am not surprised by kneejerk reactions people criticising out of ignorance

I had no idea fog lights were actually for fog. I thought they just looked cool. How do they help in fog? Are you supposed to turn the main headlights off?

There are a few ways fog lights help:

-additional rear lamp provide extra visibility of the car for other drivers

-front lamp typically mounted low so they add illumination to immediate road surface

-front lamp sometimes a different color (yellow), that can “cut” through the fog and mist, whereas white lamps would merely reflect against it

This shows exactly what I suspected: peoples issues stems from their misunderstanding of the software.

The defrost button ISNT only in the middle of the screen. It is also on the BOTTOM of the screen - similar to before, where you can “brace your hand”. It is next to the climate arrows.

Once again I am not surprised by kneejerk reactions people criticising out of ignorance
This! People screaming “this is unsafe!” Is ridiculous. I had my windows fog up driving over a river on a cold day. Swiped up from the bottom of the screen and turned on the defroster. Took one second, if that. Not that hard. People just don’t like change. Tesla will continue to change their software. That’s one reason why they didn’t put physical buttons in the car (other than cost savings).

Huh? I don’t have that in my car. Can you show a picture?

Huh? I don’t have that in my car. Can you show a picture?
1642263889856.png

We're going in circles partly because people defend things without acknowledging different use cases:

Many of us need the rear defrost on continuously, longer than the timer.

Old way: glance at the screen to see if it's timed out.

New way: glance, swipe, check.

Seems like a small thing, but it adds measurable time and a gesture to the task, and frustration (that this use case is dismissed as not worthy of consideration).

Same with seat heaters. And yes, on V10 I also hate the seat heater UI, but at least I could see if they were on.

Having to tap 3 times (in v10) to go from high to off is worse than just feeling for a rocker switch that's already under your hand. I complained about it all the time (just not here). But I put up with it, just to drive the best EV drivetrain and charging network.

In summary: v10 sucked in many ways. v11 sucks in maybe more and different ways. v11 has some cool additions, and somewhat better logical layout of certain things, which could easily have been implemented in v10, or probably even v9. So all the positives do nothing to justify an arbitrary aesthetic refresh.

And I'm surprised by how many people assume that all the criticisms are out of ignorance. I've been using this software for 3 weeks now. It sucks. (I guess 3 weeks is still a 'knee-jerk reaction?') I know how to do everything I could before but I can honestly say there is nothing about the new interface that is better, and nothing that is actually easier to use. (I take that back - it's now easier to access the games. great.)

It's just baffling to see all the responses like "you don't need the interface, just use voice commands?" and "it's only a couple of extra taps" both of these implicitly admit that the interface is harder to use but it's ok because there's a workaround or it's still 'easy enough' to use.

Last edited:

It's just baffling to see all the responses like "you don't need the interface, just use voice commands?" and "it's only a couple of extra taps" both of these implicitly admit that the interface is harder to use but it's ok because there's a workaround or it's still 'easy enough' to use.

Well said. Voice commands also suck and are just a gimmick. They suck because they are not well documented (The documentation states that new words are added over time - but where can I go to tell which new words?) I can use voice commands to "turn fog lights off" , but "turn headlights off" results in an error that "that command is not implemented yet" Plus its SLOW as molasses, and always assume I want to navigate somewhere as opposed to expecting a commands.

And as you said, these are WORKAROUNDS - the very meaning of the word implies there is a fault with the primary method requiring the need for a WORKAROUND.