Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah. That scheduling prompt. Ignore it.
If I ignore it, I believe the software will install when I'm not looking. Once that happens, there's no going back so it's not worth the risk. I've tried Install Now then Cancel, but that just makes the alarm clock turn amber. Maybe next time I'll sit in the car when the install time comes around and see if cancelling it then makes any difference.

Having to tap 3 times (in v10) to go from high to off is worse than just feeling for a rocker switch that's already under your hand. I complained about it all the time (just not here).
Exactly the same control method I've had to deal with using physical pushbutton switches in VWs for the past 20 years so not hard for me to manage! But not being able to see the current setting easily - that really sucks! Glad I'm still on V10 for the time being. I could adapt to the V11 relocation of controls but that would not stop me from being annoyed every time I have to access them.

Well said. Voice commands also suck and are just a gimmick. They suck because they are not well documented (The documentation states that new words are added over time - but where can I go to tell which new words?) I can use voice commands to "turn fog lights off" , but "turn headlights off" results in an error that "that command is not implemented yet" Plus its SLOW as molasses, and always assume I want to navigate somewhere as opposed to expecting a commands.

And as you said, these are WORKAROUNDS - the very meaning of the word implies there is a fault with the primary method requiring the need for a WORKAROUND.
Bit of a digression, but does anyone else feel that voice command interpretation deteriorated since a few months ago? I am now noticing that it has more trouble recognizing contact names for calls and texts. Even worse, it will show the misinterpreted name on the screen while it completes the call or text! That's very disconcerting, because I can't be sure it's using the right contact. Does anyone else keep getting navigated to Piper's Auto when trying to reset auto wiper operation? I think this has even happened when I started the command with "set", and I definitely didn't say "navigate to"! A few days ago, I dictated "I'll cope" during an SMS conversation - the words appeared on the screen and I sent the message. Shortly after I got a "?" response. When I looked at the message history, I found that I had actually sent "Falco". The situation reached the height of absurdity this week when I dictated, "text Julia", which is a command I often use successfully. The screen actually showed the correct words for a second, then changed them to "necrophilia". That's the most probable interpretation of my intent? Why is the word even in the command interpreter dictionary????

• Helpful
Reactions: Hank42
I saw this article this morning:

Tesla’s not the only company that has trouble designing a good UI!

Doug DeMuro does a lot of car reviews and the first part is his "quirks and features" section where he goes over all the unusual things in a car. He's reviewed just about every infotainment system out there at this point, including some very ancient first generation systems. Some are quite bad, but Tesla is not at the top of the pack. I'm not a regular viewer of his channel, so I'm not sure what he's reviewed lately, but a few years ago there were cars with better interfaces than Tesla (and some worse). Tesla has had an advantage in the navigation maps since the beginning because the screen real estate is bigger than any other car, but many functions drivers use a lot are less than perfect.

This shows exactly what I suspected: peoples issues stems from their misunderstanding of the software.

The defrost button ISNT only in the middle of the screen. It is also on the BOTTOM of the screen - similar to before, where you can “brace your hand”. It is next to the climate arrows.

I even posted a picture of the darn things.

Once again I am not surprised by kneejerk reactions people criticising out of ignorance

One of the problems people are having in this thread is our experiences of V11 are different based on the vintage of our car's hardware and the car model. There is no defrost button in the middle on my car. It's only available on a pop up on the bottom of the screen. But it's a bad UI design when you have to turn on a function you may not want (heat or AC) to adjust something you do want (like the seat warmers).

That's the equivalent in MS Word of being unable to change the tab settings without also changing the margins on the document. It's extra work for the user and annoying.

Another thing has to do with disabilities. One of the things with dyslexia is we navigate the world by symbols and patterns (I have mild dyslexia). With an OS, once we know the pattern, we can navigate it quickly. When things move around, it takes more energy and effort to learn the new patterns than people without dyslexia. When I have to upgrade Windows and everything moves around I'm probably 25% as productive for at least a month. I know the OS inside and out (I program the dang thing for a living), but finding how to do the thing I did last week without thinking requires a lot of work where when my muscle memory was trained to the patterns, and I did many things without having too think about them.

When I get a rental car, I'll sit there for 15-30 minutes before leaving the lot to familiarize myself with the major functions of the car to make sure I'm safe to drive. Because almost all cars do similar things for most functions, I'm usually OK after a couple of hours of driving the car. With a car I own, I get very familiar with the controls and don't ever have to think about them. But move controls around on an electronic screen and I have to think about it. Move the controls in such a way that is not intuitive to someone who is used to figuring out the patterns of intuitive UIs and my brain has to work even harder to work out the non-intuitiveness of the interface.

Another type of disability, the autism spectrum, also has issues with changes to a system. The mechanism in the brain is different from dyslexia, but the result is similar. Change imposed on someone on the spectrum can increase anxiety levels and causes upset. If they chose the change themselves, that's a different issue. So they were probably OK with the car when they got it because they chose that, but move everything around on them without warning and their anxiety levels go through the roof. Different individuals are able to cope with it better than others, but it's still a stressor for them.

Is there ANY way to permanently get rid of this new “Cold Weather Tips” card that comes up EVERY time you get in the car? You have to Tap on the card which opens it up then swipe down to get rid of it every time.

Ski

No cold weather tips on my car. Instead the charging options screen is popped up every time I get into my car.

Maybe the V11 has a randomizer to do random annoyances in each car? "It's not a bug, it's and easter egg!"

Doug DeMuro does a lot of car reviews and the first part is his "quirks and features" section where he goes over all the unusual things in a car. He's reviewed just about every infotainment system out there at this point, including some very ancient first generation systems. Some are quite bad, but Tesla is not at the top of the pack. I'm not a regular viewer of his channel, so I'm not sure what he's reviewed lately, but a few years ago there were cars with better interfaces than Tesla (and some worse). Tesla has had an advantage in the navigation maps since the beginning because the screen real estate is bigger than any other car, but many functions drivers use a lot are less than perfect.

One of the problems people are having in this thread is our experiences of V11 are different based on the vintage of our car's hardware and the car model. There is no defrost button in the middle on my car. It's only available on a pop up on the bottom of the screen. But it's a bad UI design when you have to turn on a function you may not want (heat or AC) to adjust something you do want (like the seat warmers).

That's the equivalent in MS Word of being unable to change the tab settings without also changing the margins on the document. It's extra work for the user and annoying.

Another thing has to do with disabilities. One of the things with dyslexia is we navigate the world by symbols and patterns (I have mild dyslexia). With an OS, once we know the pattern, we can navigate it quickly. When things move around, it takes more energy and effort to learn the new patterns than people without dyslexia. When I have to upgrade Windows and everything moves around I'm probably 25% as productive for at least a month. I know the OS inside and out (I program the dang thing for a living), but finding how to do the thing I did last week without thinking requires a lot of work where when my muscle memory was trained to the patterns, and I did many things without having too think about them.

When I get a rental car, I'll sit there for 15-30 minutes before leaving the lot to familiarize myself with the major functions of the car to make sure I'm safe to drive. Because almost all cars do similar things for most functions, I'm usually OK after a couple of hours of driving the car. With a car I own, I get very familiar with the controls and don't ever have to think about them. But move controls around on an electronic screen and I have to think about it. Move the controls in such a way that is not intuitive to someone who is used to figuring out the patterns of intuitive UIs and my brain has to work even harder to work out the non-intuitiveness of the interface.

Another type of disability, the autism spectrum, also has issues with changes to a system. The mechanism in the brain is different from dyslexia, but the result is similar. Change imposed on someone on the spectrum can increase anxiety levels and causes upset. If they chose the change themselves, that's a different issue. So they were probably OK with the car when they got it because they chose that, but move everything around on them without warning and their anxiety levels go through the roof. Different individuals are able to cope with it better than others, but it's still a stressor for them.

No cold weather tips on my car. Instead the charging options screen is popped up every time I get into my car.

Maybe the V11 has a randomizer to do random annoyances in each car? "It's not a bug, it's and easter egg!"

Interesting. Mine turns in to the quick settings page every time. Not sure why that’s useful, but at least I can see the profile before I dismiss it.

The guy I report to is red-green color blind. When I design an interface he usually tells me if he can't distinguish between colors.

I'm the opposite, I'm more sensitive in the blue range than most people (apparently more common in Scandinavians). White LEDs often look blue to me and unfiltered LED light can give me terrible eye strain. I have an anti-blue screen protector on both the screens in my car.

I think @wk057 mentioned writing replacement software, but it was a passing comment ages ago that I'm not even sure was serious. I only remember it because it gave me a little hope.

I had actually begun work years ago on a full replacement for the UI for MCU1 AP1 and non-AP, and got a technical framework together for it that made the car drivable with literally a few buttons on the touchscreen and some text updates on the IC. While I'm sure an open source project could do far better in terms of actual usability, unfortunately the tradeoffs are likely more than most people would care to put up with, so that project was back-burnered.

Doing the same on the 3 would be a heck of an undertaking. Honestly, at this point if I were to do something custom it's be with custom hardware driving the touchscreen and tapped into needed places for reading data and making things happen. Hacking the actual onboard stuff to run anything custom long-term at this point is probably pretty futile without some kind of green light from Tesla themselves, especially if you care about ever getting access to things like FSD if/when they ever actually release something.

It will also likely be short lived. They could easily either change the protocol (it is quite proprietary as is) or simply start encrypting. That is why I am very hesitant about things like the S3XY buttons.

S3XY buttons use CAN bus commands as far as I'm aware. It's not proprietary, it's a standard protocol and they cannot encrypt it on existing cars. If they encrypted it, every single button in the car would cease to function.

It will also likely be short lived. They could easily either change the protocol (it is quite proprietary as is) or simply start encrypting. That is why I am very hesitant about things like the S3XY buttons.
The only one I need is a line of wiper buttons. Off, 1, 2, 3

I assume the other people might want ‘auto’ and 4 but I don’t need them.

S3XY buttons use CAN bus commands as far as I'm aware. It's not proprietary, it's a standard protocol and they cannot encrypt it on existing cars. If they encrypted it, every single button in the car would cease to function.

I’m skeptical if the wipers can be controlled via the can bus beyond simulating the steering column button was pressed.

I’m skeptical if the wipers can be controlled via the can bus beyond simulating the steering column button was pressed.

Why would you be skeptical? The S and X had a wiper stalk. It doesn't make sense to delete commands from your system code when similar cars within your fleet have or had those controls. It takes work to pair down feature sets, and there's no benefit to doing so.

Plus how do you think the wiper control module gets commands?

Why would you be skeptical? The S and X had a wiper stalk. It doesn't make sense to delete commands from your system code when similar cars within your fleet have or had those controls. It takes work to pair down feature sets, and there's no benefit to doing so.

Plus how do you think the wiper control module gets commands?

I didn’t know that.. if only I had a model s/x to play with.

As far as I can tell (I have been researching this but have not plugged anything in yet) it should be possible to control the wiper speed over CAN. However, what we probably can not do is toggle Auto on/off because that is in the MCU. If my understanding is correct we should be able to inject CAN messages to do lots of things in the car, but the MCU will not know about that, and we will be in a state of the MCU display being out of sync with the actual state of car systems. Of course with nothing useful left on the MCU display these days, this is much less of an issue :) Anybody who knows more please correct me!

If I ignore it, I believe the software will install when I'm not looking. Once that happens, there's no going back so it's not worth the risk. I've tried Install Now then Cancel, but that just makes the alarm clock turn amber. Maybe next time I'll sit in the car when the install time comes around and see if cancelling it then makes any difference.
I did this for a year. No such thing happens.