Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've polled my fellow M3 drivers: the new UI update is horrible! The loss of functional grouping (all music under one icon), the loss of the cards for easy access to special information, and it takes like 5 searches to find out how to play music from my phone.. the little colored icons.. The re-jiggering of the controls menu puts things in very illogical places.. I like the blind spot camera upon turn signal... but the entire user interface is so much less ergonomic and so much more of a hassle to use..

Does anyone out there agree?

I was wondering why I didn’t like this. Not only do you have to change the temperature to get this to show up, but there’s no off button in there!

So yeah, useless for rear defogger and seat heaters since you still need to bring up the full panel (how? No button for that in your photo) to turn off the fans that bringing this up now turns on for no reason.

The problem I have with 11 is that it didn’t give me what I wanted, it gave everyone things NOBODY asked for:

-I wanted a battery & range meter both displayed at the same time. Nope, didn’t get that.

-I wanted the wh/mi permanently displayed somewhere on the screen, not having to swipe for a card to see it. Nope.

-I wanted tire pressure numbers on all the tires, while I’m driving.

-every analog gasoline powered car has an odometer that’s always ON and displayed, even the old ones with mechanical rolling numbers. On a tesla you have to swipe to see it. I wanted an always-on odometer. Is it really that hard to program?

-I wanted to be able to open up the navigation map and see more of that and less of my car and blank space. Maybe have the car info at the top bar of the screen if i wanted to choose.

-instead I get semi customizable icons, a side view camera thats hidden behind my hand, hidden controls like seat heaters, difficult to use music menus, and having to go to main menu to see my tire pressure and wh/mi.

-to be honest, I WANTED to like the change. At first I thought changing the icons around was neat, but then realized only a few were there and not many can be put at the bottom. And it went downhill from there, fast.

It’s almost as if the people who made this change didn’t think about what people wanted or didn’t bother to ask. They just wanted to make something look cool for the sake of looking cool. I’m certain they don’t drive Teslas either, they’d never let this sort of change make it to production.

I was wondering why I didn’t like this. Not only do you have to change the temperature to get this to show up, but there’s no off button in there!

So yeah, useless for rear defogger and seat heaters since you still need to bring up the full panel (how? No button for that in your photo) to turn off the fans that bringing this up now turns on for no reason.
Long press the temperature and it’ll turn off hvac.

The problem I have with 11 is that it didn’t give me what I wanted, it gave everyone things NOBODY asked for:

-I wanted a battery & range meter both displayed at the same time. Nope, didn’t get that.

-I wanted the wh/mi permanently displayed somewhere on the screen, not having to swipe for a card to see it. Nope.

-I wanted tire pressure numbers on all the tires, while I’m driving.

-every analog gasoline powered car has an odometer that’s always ON and displayed, even the old ones with mechanical rolling numbers. On a tesla you have to swipe to see it. I wanted an always-on odometer. Is it really that hard to program?

-I wanted to be able to open up the navigation map and see more of that and less of my car and blank space. Maybe have the car info at the top bar of the screen if i wanted to choose.

-instead I get semi customizable icons, a side view camera thats hidden behind my hand, hidden controls like seat heaters, difficult to use music menus, and having to go to main menu to see my tire pressure and wh/mi.

-to be honest, I WANTED to like the change. At first I thought changing the icons around was neat, but then realized only a few were there and not many can be put at the bottom. And it went downhill from there, fast.
Man, you totally got screwed - not only didn't they implement any of the changes you were hoping for, they made many of them worse!

You can drag the center line dividing the navigation/map and the car view over to the left to make it a bit bigger. Have you tried that?

It’s almost as if the people who made this change didn’t think about what people wanted or didn’t bother to ask. They just wanted to make something look cool for the sake of looking cool. I’m certain they don’t drive Teslas either, they’d never let this sort of change make it to production.
Yeah, that's my conclusion, too!

Reactions: Msjulie
Well, today somebody at Home Depot left a deep 2” dent in the side of my car. But thanks to the crappy new v11 interface, there was no obvious cue that the USB drive I use for Sentry mode had recently stopped working, so I have no visual evidence of who might be responsible. (I had previously gotten someone to pay for repairs in a similar situation thanks to clear Sentry Mode video of then hitting my car in a parking lot.) I f-ing hate v.11 so much and now it’s actually cost me money.

Well, today somebody at Home Depot left a deep 2” dent in the side of my car. But thanks to the crappy new v11 interface, there was no obvious cue that the USB drive I use for Sentry mode had recently stopped working, so I have no visual evidence of who might be responsible. (I had previously gotten someone to pay for repairs in a similar situation thanks to clear Sentry Mode video of then hitting my car in a parking lot.) I f-ing hate v.11 so much and now it’s actually cost me money.

The problem is not new. It happened to me in v10. Car was hit while in a parking lot. Whomever did it didn’t leave a note. $11000 repair bill. Sentry mode was on. Didn’t record. Looking at the flash drive it was clearly having problems for a long time and didn’t say anything. Got chkdsk style errors on the drive when I connected it to a pc. I reformatted the drive and it seems better but who really knows. Very disappointing. I don’t need the security feature to be perfect but I do expect that if it’s failing to record it should notify me it’s having a problem.

I did a search when this happened to me and it’s happened to others going back for a while.

Reactions: SalisburySam

You may have a claim against Tesla. My partner is an attorney and worked with an attorney in that area of practice in Kent. She recommended you talk to him or another lawyer with expertise in that area.

I've carried uninsured motorist coverage for my cars for many years. One time many moons ago when I had a hit and run that covered the damage.

Reactions: Mikecm1
Yeah, this is not a V11 specific problem. Regular USB flash drives are not suited to this use case at all (even the one Tesla now gives out) and will often fail in a few months of use. It is a problem with the Tesla MCU that the failure is usually silent. Get an endurance SD card (they are designed for dashcam use). Some also have good luck with SSD drives but watch the operating temp ranges, SSDs will almost never operate reliably outside of their rated temperature range (high or low). An SSD is serious overkill for the dashcam though, but useful if you want to have a large music collection onboard.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Yeah, this is not a V11 specific problem. Regular USB flash drives are not suited to this use case at all (even the one Tesla now gives out) and will often fail in a few months of use. It is a problem with the Tesla MCU that the failure is usually silent. Get an endurance SD card (they are designed for dashcam use). Some also have good luck with SSD drives but watch the operating temp ranges, SSDs will almost never operate reliably outside of their rated temperature range (high or low). An SSD is serious overkill for the dashcam though, but useful if you want to have a large music collection onboard.

My car is too old for Sentry Mode, but does it really write to the drive that often? All flash memory (used in all solid state storage like USB drives and SSDs) weakens a little with every write and will eventually quit allowing writes, but these days the number of writes you can get out of most flash memory is pretty high. I worked with them back when they were fragile and could only take a thousand writes or so before failure. These days the mean time between failure is orders of magnitude higher.

The MCU 1 problem that the recall is about is a flash memory in there that has pretty much useless information written to it constantly (it's diagnostic information that would only be of use to a programmer and should have been disabled on release versions of the software). Even though it's constantly getting hit with data it still takes some time before it fails.

I have an SSD (T5). Temperature that day was cold but no snow or ice.

I’m going to go with Tesla software error. Every other recording files were truncated (590ish byes long). Something in that stack was getting errors and not telling the user (me) of them. This is an advertised ‘security’ feature. Sorry if it creates more support phone calls by telling the user their usb is not working but that’s the right thing to do be doing.

You may have a claim against Tesla. My partner is an attorney and worked with an attorney in that area of practice in Kent. She recommended you talk to him or another lawyer with expertise in that area.

I've carried uninsured motorist coverage for my cars for many years. One time many moons ago when I had a hit and run that covered the damage.

My uninsured motorist coverage covered it. But now my rate may go up etc…. This is actually the second time my car was hit. First time sentry worked and the other party was at fault expect for in CA you only need 5K of auto coverage and that’s what the other “driver” had. So again my uninsured motorist coverages kicked in and covered the 9k difference.

I not sure how these cars get reasonable rates. They are crazy expensive to repair.

My car is too old for Sentry Mode, but does it really write to the drive that often? All flash memory (used in all solid state storage like USB drives and SSDs) weakens a little with every write and will eventually quit allowing writes, but these days the number of writes you can get out of most flash memory is pretty high. I worked with them back when they were fragile and could only take a thousand writes or so before failure. These days the mean time between failure is orders of magnitude higher.

The MCU 1 problem that the recall is about is a flash memory in there that has pretty much useless information written to it constantly (it's diagnostic information that would only be of use to a programmer and should have been disabled on release versions of the software). Even though it's constantly getting hit with data it still takes some time before it fails.
I went through about 3 (name brand) USB flash drives in the first year of dashcam/sentry. Reports on this forum and if Facebook owners group are consistent with this. I have had my endurance SD card for around 2 years now with no errors, and I watched video off of it last week.

I went through about 3 (name brand) USB flash drives in the first year of dashcam/sentry. Reports on this forum and if Facebook owners group are consistent with this. I have had my endurance SD card for around 2 years now with no errors, and I watched video off of it last week.

If I had to guess.. my drive had chkdsk errors. So that may have been the cause. I would suspect two thumb reset of the car was to blame for that. So now I try to format the drive after a car reset and before reinstating in the car (I almost never take it out)

I think overall v11 is a great improvement. I do wish for a few small things like bringing back a larger AP icon and speedometer, bringing back the dashcam button from within the menu and maybe bringing back the heated seats from behind a menu but in general its cleaned everything up nicely and you no longer have to waste half the right side with the radio to switch sources.

I use microSD cards and few of them got corrupted in weird ways. It is a combination of several factors:
- Because of the high rate of writing the card should be app-rated (A1 or A2). It is not only the throughput but also the ability to level the writes over the entire memory. They look the same (aside from the A designation) but underneath they are very different. Never used SSD because of the higher current needs and I am using a hub connected to the single data USB (have more than one data storage).
- The file system is FAT - prone to errors, especially with large video files.
- No idea why but the system does not properly unmount the drive and I suspect it uses write cache. That way, unplugging the drive, car shutting off, etc. likely leaves chunks unwritten which corrupts files or the entire file system.

The problem is not new. It happened to me in v10. Car was hit while in a parking lot. Whomever did it didn’t leave a note. $11000 repair bill. Sentry mode was on. Didn’t record. Looking at the flash drive it was clearly having problems for a long time and didn’t say anything. Got chkdsk style errors on the drive when I connected it to a pc. I reformatted the drive and it seems better but who really knows. Very disappointing. I don’t need the security feature to be perfect but I do expect that if it’s failing to record it should notify me it’s having a problem.

I did a search when this happened to me and it’s happened to others going back for a while.
His point is that he wasn’t aware his drive wasn’t recording since they removed the sentry icon from the main screen and buried it under a menu.

In v10 and earlier the camera icon would have a gray dot if it wasn’t recording so you’d be aware of a problem you could fix.