Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Count me in the voice command hater category. Even if they worked perfectly I would choose not to use them most of the time. They are very useful for complicated things like changing the navigation destination while driving or doing a media search and I appreciate them for that. But as a substitute for what should be a simple single button press the are moronic and highlight UI/UX design failure if they are the easiest/only way to do those things.
You forgot to add safest...

Solution Number 6: “Boss, excuse me for a moment, I need to turn on the defogger in my car. The button is in the glove compartment and I have to use undocumented voice commands so I don’t crash“. 5 min later: “John, are you still there? Who is this Tesla petson you are cursing at? Isn’t he dead already?”
If you are on the phone then the defrost button is a swipe up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen ...is that really too hard for you to do without crashing? If it is may I suggest you stop driving?!

You forgot to add safest...
If safety was a concern they would not put any of the garbage at the bottom of the screen (next turn info), wiper controls, and on and on. - and would never make it customizable - muscle memory is real. Frequently used icons? It's a car folks.

Voice is not the way, unless they ban babies (or other loud people in the car) and windows that roll down.

If safety was a concern they would not put any of the garbage at the bottom of the screen (next turn info), wiper controls, and on and on. - and would never make it customizable - muscle memory is real. Frequently used icons? It's a car folks.

Voice is not the way, unless they ban babies (or other loud people in the car) and windows that roll down.
Exactly, so use voice and let the car TELL you when to turn so you don't have to look...works great! Did you not realize that the car didn't have full wiper control on the stalk before you bought your car? If that had been so important for me then personally I would have made sure I knew before accepting delivery...and of course, wiper controls were at the bottom of the screen in the cards on v10 ...actually now with just a tap of the car icon (which you don't even need to look for now, the wiper controls are right there in the upper middle!)

• Disagree
Reactions: tyguy
Exactly, so use voice and let the car TELL you when to turn so you don't have to look...works great!
Clearly you have no kids. Can the car tell me what the wipers are doing? Truth be told, I actually don't mind the auto wipers or the tap on the end thing.

However, I do have conversations with humans, both in car and phone, and have no interest at all with map interruptions (I bought a large map, they have reduced the useable map area), or interrupting the conversation so I can change something like a heated seat.

All the people (an overwhelming minority based on polling) who are loving V11 might consider that the rest of us don't want workarounds or excuses for Tesla changing our cars WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION or desire.

We've paid big $ for these cars and have zero recourse for what many of us perceive as serious downgrades to our property at a UI designer's whim. No amount of workaround or voice control pontification is going to change our minds. This current V11 is nothing but bad for many of us.

And as is typical, sadly, every release seems to add at least as many bugs as changes, adding to the 'fun' of owning a Tesla. This btw sucks because other than this UI garbage the car is pretty good.

Solution number 2 - No, Tesla have changed actually very few commands and the online lists are updated frequently. For all the commands I use only 2 have changed in over 24 months.
Maybe they don't change "a lot of them", but if they change one of the ones you use a lot, that's not much consolation. For example, I used to always tell my car, "Take me home" (as taught to me by my SA). One day, that stopped working -- instead it brought up a list of businesses with the word "home" in them. And you know, I'm in the middle of driving, which is why I'm using the voice command to begin with. But now I have to take my eyes off the road, look at the screen, and figure out what it's doing. But hey, I guess I can re-learn how to use my nav system while I'm driving down the road. Can't think of any problem with that!

This change was only 3 months after I bought my car. So why on earth would I assume that any voice command I "remember" will work after the next update.

Exactly, so use voice and let the car TELL you when to turn so you don't have to look...works great! Did you not realize that the car didn't have full wiper control on the stalk before you bought your car? If that had been so important for me then personally I would have made sure I knew before accepting delivery...and of course, wiper controls were at the bottom of the screen in the cards on v10 ...actually now with just a tap of the car icon (which you don't even need to look for now, the wiper controls are right there in the upper middle!)
Must be difficult to be so right that everyone else is wrong. You are either Elon or the orange faced rug wearer that used to be president…… go on, you can tell me which is it? I won’t tell anyone, mums the word 🤫😉😂

When Supercharging it no longer tells you how fast it is going
Yes, I really miss this screen:

1643064009637.png

Must be difficult to be so right that everyone else is wrong. You are either Elon or the orange faced rug wearer that used to be president…… go on, you can tell me which is it? I won’t tell anyone, mums the word 🤫😉😂
Must be even more difficult with reduced reading comprehension! LOL. I'm not telling anyone they are wrong, I am merely giving alternatives. Do with them as much or as little as you like!

Clearly you have no kids. Can the car tell me what the wipers are doing? Truth be told, I actually don't mind the auto wipers or the tap on the end thing.

However, I do have conversations with humans, both in car and phone, and have no interest at all with map interruptions (I bought a large map, they have reduced the useable map area), or interrupting the conversation so I can change something like a heated seat.
Sounds like you have plenty enough distractions without having to worry about the 50 milliseconds to actually press a button then! The good thing is that you HAVE A CHOICE!

Can the car tell you what the wipers are doing? Can't your eyes see what they are doing?

I have conversations with humans too and they think it is kinds cool that my car can do these things using voice. Cant remember anyone getting upset because I uses voice control but perhaps your passenger are more tightly wound than mine? If it isnt a situation that VC is optimal then just use the buttons. Oh look, there's that CHOICE again!

• Disagree
Reactions: tyguy and danarcha
I'm not telling anyone they are wrong, I am merely giving alternatives. Do with them as much or as little as you like!

You've been "merely giving alternatives" an awful lot but I'd wager a guess no one is thanking you for your kind observations. Face it, what works for you does not work for many many others and no matter how often you offer these lesser workaround alternatives, they will still be much less than what already worked before Tesla broke it..

Must be even more difficult with reduced reading comprehension! LOL. I'm not telling anyone they are wrong, I am merely giving alternatives. Do with them as much or as little as you like!
I have no reading comprehension issues. English is my mother tongue (real English). However every post you make is in disagreement with pretty much everyone else. You see it as alternatives however when they disagree with you, then you spend the next few posts telling them they should be using VC.
As the majority of posters dislike VC for a variety of reasons, you seem to think all those are wrong & proceed to tell them why. Now just because you like them and not everyone else does that indicates you are in the minority (at least in this thread & others where you keep saying use VC).
You’re like a drunk guy in a bar who thinks by repeating the same thing louder and louder it makes it correct lol. Must have a forehead like a Texas Longhorn the amount of butting the wall you do. It’s simple ….. here we go in a short sentence for you. People do NOT like VC ……. that’s as simple as I can put it for you to comprehend….. in simple English 🇬🇧.

I have no reading comprehension issues. English is my mother tongue (real English). However every post you make is in disagreement with pretty much everyone else. You see it as alternatives however when they disagree with you, then you spend the next few posts telling them they should be using VC.
As the majority of posters dislike VC for a variety of reasons, you seem to think all those are wrong & proceed to tell them why. Now just because you like them and not everyone else does that indicates you are in the minority (at least in this thread & others where you keep saying use VC).
You’re like a drunk guy in a bar who thinks by repeating the same thing louder and louder it makes it correct lol. Must have a forehead like a Texas Longhorn the amount of butting the wall you do. It’s simple ….. here we go in a short sentence for you. People do NOT like VC ……. that’s as simple as I can put it for you to comprehend….. in simple English 🇬🇧.
You really do have reading comprehension issues as none of my posts are telling people they are wrong! I have always said that there are alternatives. If you choose not to use them that is your affair. Not one of my posts tell any poster they are wrong unless they post something not factually correct. You are also posting something not factually correct because you don't have the facts..."People do not like VC"...where are you getting this info from? The posters here? Oh please, use your loaf! Go and read what I have said. I put down ignorance about VC, not whether anyone actually likes it or not! Lots of people are quite happy with VC that is why there are hundreds of lists about all the phrases available I guess! If YOU don't like it and certain other posters here don't like it does not make it a non option! A picture of Michael Palin with a hankie on his head comes to mind...

If you are on the phone then the defrost button is a swipe up from anywhere on the bottom of the screen ...is that really too hard for you to do without crashing? If it is may I suggest you stop driving?!

For pre-2021 Model S and X owners, the bottom of the screen is down there a ways. I need to lean forward to reach it and I need to take my eyes off the road and look down a fair ways to see whatever is down there. I've always thought it was a bad spot for frequently used controls.

On the landscape oriented screens the bottom of the screen is close to the driver's natural line of sight.

The more I hear about the Model 3/Y controls, the more happy I am that I have a pre-2021 Model S. On my car the wipers are completely controlled by stalk controls. Controls Tesla is not going to move on me.

You really do have reading comprehension issues as none of my posts are telling people they are wrong! I have always said that there are alternatives. If you choose not to use them that is your affair. Not one of my posts tell any poster they are wrong unless they post something not factually correct. You are also posting something not factually correct because you don't have the facts..."People do not like VC"...where are you getting this info from? The posters here? Oh please, use your loaf! Go and read what I have said. I put down ignorance about VC, not whether anyone actually likes it or not! Lots of people are quite happy with VC that is why there are hundreds of lists about all the phrases available I guess! If YOU don't like it and certain other posters here don't like it does not make it a non option! A picture of Michael Palin with a hankie on his head comes to mind...
We don't have scientific polling of want % of Tesla drivers 'like' voice commands. But here is some interesting reading on the recent popularity of voice commands among the readership of Android Authority (TLDR, 50% never use them, another 20% only use them once a week).
Safe to say many people just flat out dislike talking to their devices, though clearly some do like using it.

All the people (an overwhelming minority based on polling) who are loving V11 might consider that the rest of us don't want workarounds or excuses for Tesla changing our cars WITHOUT OUR PERMISSION or desire.

We've paid big $ for these cars and have zero recourse for what many of us perceive as serious downgrades to our property at a UI designer's whim. No amount of workaround or voice control pontification is going to change our minds. This current V11 is nothing but bad for many of us.

And as is typical, sadly, every release seems to add at least as many bugs as changes, adding to the 'fun' of owning a Tesla. This btw sucks because other than this UI garbage the car is pretty good.
I love driving my Model 3. Nimble, fun and reasonably neutral at the limits (unlike my S, which means I can’t really push the S like I do my 3).

The UI was probably designed by a hipster doofus with full encouragement by Elon. Sorry, but I fully believe that’s what happened.

Elon doesn’t care anymore what the longtime fans have to say, critically. He is probably very tired after being at the helm for almost 20 years. (“I rather hate being the boss at Tesla”, remember that quote from him?)