Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not just software development, all engineering works on this 90/10 -> 10/90 rule. I first heard of it back in the 1970s with high end stereo equipment like Macintosh. Companies like Sony and such were able to get to 90% perfect sound reproduction at an affordable price, but to get that last 10% out of the system took jumping from a $1000 stereo system to a $25 K+ system.

They probably are over 90% with FSD, but that last 10% is proving to be a nightmare. I've said it before, the big advantage humans have over computers is our ability to quickly filter out irrelevant things. Many accidents are caused by humans not filtering out things that they should have, but we do a great job of it 99.9% of the time. Computers have to filter everything manually. They can do it faster than humans can, but they still need to do it.

There is a test of an AI called the Turing Test that was originally proposed in the 40s or 50s. The concept is a true AI can't be detected by a human over a period of a few minutes. Some AIs are pretty good short term, but somebody can confuse them by doing something unexpected.

Human drivers still have advantages over AIs. If our field of view is bad, we can move the sensory unit (our eyes) to a different spot. I once drove in fog so thick I rolled down the window and listened for other cars at a stop sign. I only went ahead when I was sure there were no cars coming. An AI can't do that because they don't listen to the environment.

Sun glare can disable cameras, especially this time of year when the sun is low in the sky. Humans have visors and sun glasses to help manage.

There are also malevolent actors who could mess with vehicle AIs. They could do various things to jam sensors in ways that will make FSD vehicles just stop and sit there confused, but would allow human drivers to at least get off the road.

Human drivers are fallible, and some human drivers are very poor. AIs driving can probably manage most problem areas than humans, but there are still edge cases where I'm not sure FSD AIs will even be able to manage properly. During the long transition period (decades because non-FSD cars will be around that long) FSD cars will need to deal with the idiot humans driving other cars as well as natural events and humans and animals outside of cars.
Is there any actual point here? Other than chaining together random sentences?

-- The audio system argument makes no sense, since computer technology does NOT follow the same price curves as a result of the rapid development of vastly increasing computing power at vastly reduced cost. If audio systems followed the same model, that Macintosh system would cost $10 today and sound 100x better than the 1970's version (whereas, in real terms, it's gone up by about 3x).

-- While FSD and similar efforts will probably eventually move to an asymptotic improvement rate, they are no-where near that yet, and given the poor performance of many (most?) human drivers I see no reason why cars cannot exceed human performance way before they reach that point.

-- The Turing test is not relevant here, since this is essentially a measure of how well a computer can simulate a human being which, it turns out, has more to do with making the computer appear LESS able at many things, such as making deliberate grammatical and spelling errors. I assume you are NOT advocating for cars that deliberately drive badly to simulate being a human drunk driver?

-- Humans moving eyes around and/or wearing sunglasses is a reflection of the limits of human vision, and it's odd you claim these as advantages. Have you ever actually watched FSD pick out lane lines? It's FAR better than me (and I have pretty good vision) in bad weather and low lighting. The fact is, even modest digital cameras have far better dynamic range, and can operate in far lower light levels, than human eyes. And show me a human who has 360 degree vision?

-- There are also malevolent actors that break-check one another, swerve all over the place on roads, and a whole bunch of other stupid things. Sure, at some point a few idiot teens will decide that its "cool" to jump in front of an AV and force it to stop .. so what?

-- Indeed, FSD cars will need to handle bad human drivers and pedestrians (nor sure about animals?) ... why do you think they will we worse than human drivers, who are busy texting or fiddling with the sound system or drunk?

Nailed it! If someone in a position of responsibility at Tesla is so incompetent as to have allowed a release like this, how can we have any kind of confidence for future improvements?

Two years of ownership and the car still won't just start playing music where it left off when I get in. @#$&$@!!!!!
My last BMW was like that too if playing music off my phone. It defaulted to the 1st song alphatically …. much as I like ACDC - Ace of Spades I really don’t want to listen to it every time I start the car😂😂

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
GameStop was used as an example how fans could prolong a decline; in no way I am comparing Tesla to GameStop.

Sandy maybe correct (I have some reservations) but a car is much more than technology. Tesla has a ton of technology and patents that could keep them going for a long time. However, if they do not fix the quality at scale, support, and general attitude toward customers they will become just a shell of what they are now. The history is full of examples where a brilliant technology company fails because they ignored the customer.

As I mentioned, technology is one of the challenges with FSD. Another one is the ethical hurdle, which I would argue is even bigger. Currently, we have TCAS but there is a human that can override it because we trust humans to make moral decisions more than we trust AI. Even military drones wait for human’s approval before using lethal force (there is a huge debate about this going on now).
Here is a popular test. A car is driven by AI and is heading for an accident. The choices are either to kill 2 pedestrians or to kill the driver. What is the AI going to optimize for? Would the regulator allow a car that prioritizes the driver? Would the driver buy a car that optimizes for minimum loss of life? Who bears the responsibility (legally) for the optimization algorithm? I would certainly not be legally liable if the car is in control.
Those are very complex and important issues that they are not even talking about. Why do you think we have to hold the wheel when FSD is engaged? Because all those moral and, subsequently, legal issues are far from been resolved.
As a driver assistant FSD on the highway is almost there - and quite useful. But FSD like the pipe dream they are selling is decades away, if ever.
That is why it is best to decouple those two. That would allow them to focus on quality at scale and customer support - really good EV, with awesome driver-oriented UI for the mass market. FSD could be offered separately - together with V11 and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Established tech companies that fall from grace usually go on, but as a diminished company, generally at a lower profile. Microsoft was the hottest brand out there at one point. People were waiting in line for the latest version of Windows. Windows is still the most common OS in desktop and laptop computers, but most of the world doesn't care.

They still provide a wide variety of services to businesses and other large organizations. They are still a very large, profitable, and viable company. They just aren't much of a consumer brand anymore.

I think Apple is headed that way. They innovated when Steve Jobs was at the helm, but since he died Apple has not come out with any new products. All their "new" products in the last few years have just been slight modifications of existing products.

Generally I think you have good thoughts here though I don’t think FSD is a dead end. I definitely think LIDAR is not needed. The environment radiates from every point of matter at all times and you don’t need to shine radiation into the environment; you just need to look at what it’s shining at you.

I think that in eliminating radar Musk was trying to eliminate noise. I think that at some point while or after Tesla has optimized driving with the visible light spectrum they will almost certainly extend the range of electromagnetic radiation they monitor for FSD.

As Sandy Munro suggested, use infrared (solves driving into the sun and improves other low visibility scenarios).

Reading between the lines of what Musk has said, at some point adding back radar may give additional useful information. But right now even just vision processing is obviously tough.

Personally I think a simple and different approach to vision processing could be taken more like how human vision processing works (what we know of it) but 🤷🏼‍♂️ I am no guru.

I don't think anybody has figured out how to make AI filter like humans do.

Is there any actual point here? Other than chaining together random sentences?

-- The audio system argument makes no sense, since computer technology does NOT follow the same price curves as a result of the rapid development of vastly increasing computing power at vastly reduced cost. If audio systems followed the same model, that Macintosh system would cost $10 today and sound 100x better than the 1970's version (whereas, in real terms, it's gone up by about 3x).

-- While FSD and similar efforts will probably eventually move to an asymptotic improvement rate, they are no-where near that yet, and given the poor performance of many (most?) human drivers I see no reason why cars cannot exceed human performance way before they reach that point.

-- The Turing test is not relevant here, since this is essentially a measure of how well a computer can simulate a human being which, it turns out, has more to do with making the computer appear LESS able at many things, such as making deliberate grammatical and spelling errors. I assume you are NOT advocating for cars that deliberately drive badly to simulate being a human drunk driver?

-- Humans moving eyes around and/or wearing sunglasses is a reflection of the limits of human vision, and it's odd you claim these as advantages. Have you ever actually watched FSD pick out lane lines? It's FAR better than me (and I have pretty good vision) in bad weather and low lighting. The fact is, even modest digital cameras have far better dynamic range, and can operate in far lower light levels, than human eyes. And show me a human who has 360 degree vision?

-- There are also malevolent actors that break-check one another, swerve all over the place on roads, and a whole bunch of other stupid things. Sure, at some point a few idiot teens will decide that its "cool" to jump in front of an AV and force it to stop .. so what?

-- Indeed, FSD cars will need to handle bad human drivers and pedestrians (nor sure about animals?) ... why do you think they will we worse than human drivers, who are busy texting or fiddling with the sound system or drunk?

I have had situations where crud splashed on the screen in front of me. I have known of situations where a rock or other debris hit the windshield in front of the driver making vision directly in front of them impossible. Shifting position to look out a different part of the windshield, or even sticking your head out the window allows the car to be handled safely. An AI driven car with fixed sensors, blind enough sensors and the car will just stop in the middle of the road because it has no clue what's going on. That's a very dangerous situation.

In Oct of 2020 I was going down to CA and while passing a truck, it began drifting over to the left and there was a jerk riding my bumper. My choice was to punch the accelerator and get ahead or plow into the center barrier. I probably got up to around 90. An AI might have chosen plowing into the central barrier.

I've never worked on an AI, but I've been a software developer for over 30 years, many times working on embedded systems. I've mapped out what an FSD system would need to do in my head as a sort of mental exercise. I like a challenge, but I wouldn't want to take that on.

The number of variables and edge conditions is mind boggling. I can't think of any other software problem like that. And it all has to be done in real time, which is another complexity in itself.

Nailed it! If someone in a position of responsibility at Tesla is so incompetent as to have allowed a release like this, how can we have any kind of confidence for future improvements?

Two years of ownership and the car still won't just start playing music where it left off when I get in. @#$&$@!!!!!
I STILL think this is not incompetence at all. This thread is helping convince me of the opposite actually. I believe this is all going according to plan. The UI is gradually becoming less driver (human) centric, and more focused on the computer and autonomy. This is whether we have FSD or not. Elon has said he believes humans must merge with AI or become irrelevant. I will try to find some video examples of him saying that.

Our cars are a non-invasive example of them working toward that goal of merging AI and humans. Neuralink is the invasive example. The Teslabot fits in there somewhere. And all these projects are surely connected - sharing knowledge and data - building upon each other.

For us, each iteration of the UI is going to suck more because of this. They're trying to go as fast and get away with as much as they can. Lack of competition is allowing a pretty fast pace from them.

I'm struggling to reconcile all this in my head. At this point i'm thinking we can't fight it and we should try to find ways of thinking about it that don't make us mad. I may be completely worng and this is just me reading and watching too much sci-fi. But i don't think so. Elon absolutely has been influenced by sci-fi. First, we just have to hope he's acting in humanity's best interest, like he says.

I STILL think this is not incompetence at all. This thread is helping convince me of the opposite actually. I believe this is all going according to plan. The UI is gradually becoming less driver (human) centric, and more focused on the computer and autonomy. This is whether we have FSD or not. Elon has said he believes humans must merge with AI or become irrelevant. I will try to find some video examples of him saying that.

Our cars are a non-invasive example of them working toward that goal of merging AI and humans. Neuralink is the invasive example. The Teslabot fits in there somewhere. And all these projects are surely connected - sharing knowledge and data - building upon each other.

For us, each iteration of the UI is going to suck more because of this. They're trying to go as fast and get away with as much as they can. Lack of competition is allowing a pretty fast pace from them.

I'm struggling to reconcile all this in my head. At this point i'm thinking we can't fight it and we should try to find ways of thinking about it that don't make us mad. I may be completely worng and this is just me reading and watching too much sci-fi. But i don't think so. Elon absolutely has been influenced by sci-fi. First, we just have to hope he's acting in humanity's best interest, like he says.
May as well get rid of the windscreen & replace it with a gaming screen then soon. Just think you could play at driving or shoot zombies whilst being whisked along oblivious to the outside world🤦🏼‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: Boza
I think Apple is headed that way. They innovated when Steve Jobs was at the helm, but since he died Apple has not come out with any new products. All their "new" products in the last few years have just been slight modifications of existing products.

Steve Jobs death 2011. Apple Watch released 2015. AirPods 2016. Pro Display XDR. HomePod. Apple Silicon (M1) chips are the best in their class.

Agree with your assessment of where they are heading. Two issues with that: The UI team is acting as if FSD is much more advanced than it actually is; and Elon’s taste in SciFi movies is questionable, given the name Plaid :)
I used to love the car. I do not hate it now, I am content with it. It is something that I intent to utilize until a viable alternative comes to the market. Then we will part ways. My hope is that, in the meantime, they don’t come up with another bone-headed thing that will push me back to the ICE world. The scary (for me) part is that I test drove an ICE Porsche over the weekend and I loved it.
I’ve never felt content or ambivalent about my cars and always wondered how some people do that. Somehow, I always developed emotional attachment with them and felt sad when I sold them. I will not feel a thing when I sell this one. I used to brag about Tesla, a few friends bought because of me. Not anymore. I just have “a car” now. Happy customer, I guess…

I’ve never felt content or ambivalent about my cars and always wondered how some people do that. Somehow, I always developed emotional attachment with them and felt sad when I sold them. I will not feel a thing when I sell this one. I used to brag about Tesla, a few friends bought because of me. Not anymore. I just have “a car” now. Happy customer, I guess…
You just described the thing i've been unable to put my finger on. Now i realize this is what i'm most afraid of. I'm trying to convince myself everything will be ok with my car.. that complaints can be dealt with or tolerated. But it's my relationship with the car that will really decide. I too need a certain connection that i can't put into words. I'll know after awhile, more from how i "feel", than anything else.

Funny how car people have historically anthropomorphized - attributed human qualities - to their cars. Now that Tesla is actually trying to do this, it's not feeling so good for us. "Mind of it's own" will take on a whole new meaning.

This car is going to be a real eye opener for me. Now i want the car so i can be a player in this new world and experience it first hand. I'm keeping all my cars and my plan is to give the experiment a year to decide if i want to keep the Tesla.

Agree with your assessment of where they are heading. Two issues with that: The UI team is acting as if FSD is much more advanced than it actually is; and Elon’s taste in SciFi movies is questionable, given the name Plaid :)
I used to love the car. I do not hate it now, I am content with it. It is something that I intent to utilize until a viable alternative comes to the market. Then we will part ways. My hope is that, in the meantime, they don’t come up with another bone-headed thing that will push me back to the ICE world. The scary (for me) part is that I test drove an ICE Porsche over the weekend and I loved it.
I used to be like that with cars, however the more advanced they’ve become, the less attached I have been. I was in 2 minds when I bought into Tesla having been driving my 2yr old BMW. Should I go electric or should I just buy a pre 2017 ICE. I went Tesla less than 2mths ago & am having second thoughts already (not good really), I’ve always had at least 6mths before I get to the “it’s just a tin box with wheels to get me A to B” stage.
I may have to buy myself an old ICE car for some soul therapy🤫

• Funny
I used to be like that with cars, however the more advanced they’ve become, the less attached I have been. I was in 2 minds when I bought into Tesla having been driving my 2yr old BMW. Should I go electric or should I just buy a pre 2017 ICE. I went Tesla less than 2mths ago & am having second thoughts already (not good really), I’ve always had at least 6mths before I get to the “it’s just a tin box with wheels to get me A to B” stage.
I may have to buy myself an old ICE car for some soul therapy🤫
We need a quick sad face option where the thumbs up and other emojis are located. :(

You just described the thing i've been unable to put my finger on. Now i realize this is what i'm most afraid of. I'm trying to convince myself everything will be ok with my car.. that complaints can be dealt with or tolerated. But it's my relationship with the car that will really decide. I too need a certain connection that i can't put into words. I'll know after awhile, more from how i "feel", than anything else.

Funny how car people have historically anthropomorphized - attributed human qualities - to their cars. Now that Tesla is actually trying to do this, it's not feeling so good for us. "Mind of it's own" will take on a whole new meaning.

This car is going to be a real eye opener for me. Now i want the car so i can be a player in this new world and experience it first hand. I'm keeping all my cars and my plan is to give the experiment a year to decide if i want to keep the Tesla.
Your post reminds me of the “uncanny valley” concept, although the Tesla is far, far away from there (despite what the UI designers believe). If it were closer we would not have had this discussion :)

Sadly, I believe you to be correct. And since I’m the one paying for this, and just wanted a car, I’m not amused.
Actually, it’s pretty invasive, to wit this and many other threads on topic.
Again, I agree. V11 sucks royally, and despite 3 updates to my car since the initial v11 blast it has not improved any of the key features most complained about. Hence I don’t think it will. And more suckage yields two events: new car, and not a Tesla.
Exactly, hence my two events above. I look at some of the upcoming EV’s such as the Ariya next year (realistically), the existing eTron, and so on. All have lots of driver assistance tech, and all have buttons/knobs for driving the damn car. Tesla may be light years ahead in tech, but the others are light years ahead in delivering a car I want. Gosh it’s so disappointing after almost 3+ years of high satisfaction levels for my Model 3. Bloom off the rose.

I STILL think this is not incompetence at all. This thread is helping convince me of the opposite actually. I believe this is all going according to plan. The UI is gradually becoming less driver (human) centric, and more focused on the computer and autonomy. This is whether we have FSD or not.

Taking the focus of the UI away from the human (or failing to even offer two modalities) when the AI is clearly far from being able to handle the task seems to me to be the very essence of incompetence in a UI design...

Elon's biggest Sci Fi influences aren't movies, but books. He read lots of Science Fiction as a teen and I read a lot of the same stuff he did. He was influenced by authors such as Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, and Arthur C Clarke. I have known people who have a lot of compassion for the human race, but don't really like people much. I think Elon is sort of like that.

Unlike his billionaire competitors in the space race, he's focused on a goal that is more noble. He's trying to buy an insurance policy for the human race by establishing a self supporting colony on a different world. If we had not given up on advancing space travel after the moon landings and sticking to manned orbital flights only, we probably would be technologically ready to send people to Mars now. As it is, I think it's going to be a longer time frame than Elon would wish, though his advancements in space flight is a real benefit to humans.

As a concept, having a viable colony on another world is a good idea. Something could happen to cause civilization on Earth to crash, and/or do serious damage to the Earth. And most of those things are things we have no control over like getting smacked with a large asteroid or a super-volcano eruption. The last super-volcano eruption reduced the human race down to a few thousand people. Genetically the entire human race is less diverse than different troops of bonobo chimps in one region of Africa because of this event.

The most likely next super-volcano eruption is here in North America: Yellowstone.

I am very concerned about Neurolink. I know someone who personally knows some of the founders there who were working on this before Elon got involved. He thought it was cool tech until I threw out a couple of big problems off the top of my head like all computers connected to any kind of network can be hacked given enough time and effort. What happens if the computer in your head gets hacked?

I doubt his thinking about neurolink is affecting the interface for cars right now, but I do think his thinking about FSD is affecting his thinking. Same with the software development team. The thinking is probably "everyone will be using FSD soon, so why bother with the driver interface?" Even if FSD capability is just around the corner, not all Teslas can use it. Older cars will never be able to use it, and some people with FSD capable cars didn't pay for that upgrade. Some people will never want to use it.

Even if FSD is working perfectly, regulators will have to approve FSD without supervision and that could take years and may never happen. Even at that it will be a long time before FSD makes its way to the lower ends of economy. Until unsupervised FSD becomes a reality, the working poor are going to be driving their old ICE to work because there will be no robotaxis. Robotaxis are going to take a very long time to penetrate into rural areas. A lot of rural areas don't have good broadband yet!

Additionally are robotaxi owners going to allow their cars to go into poorer neighborhoods in cities where the cars could be stopped and stripped in the street? If FSD cars are programmed to not hurt anyone, all it takes is one person to position themselves so the car would have to run them over to get away while others take the wheels off or disables the car in some other way.

Most of the people talking about the utopia of self driving cars are upper middle class who have forgotten how most people live.

Steve Jobs death 2011. Apple Watch released 2015. AirPods 2016. Pro Display XDR. HomePod. Apple Silicon (M1) chips are the best in their class.

I have read that the Apple Watch was very far in the development cycle when Jobs died. It was the last project he piloted. Maybe AirPods are an advancement, but they just seem like a wireless form of the old wired ear buds. I'm not familiar with the Pro Display or HomePod, but the M1 is an evolution of the processor they developed for the iPod many years ago.

In any case, Apple does not generate the buzz they used to. I live with an Apple fan who has one of the original Macs with the case signed by the development team she bought new and back in the day and she had a first generation LaserWriter. Her computing equipment today consists of 2 Mac Minis, the newest from 2017, an older iMac, an iPhone 6s, and a 4 year old iPad Pro. She has no plans to update any of them. She doesn't like their new tech.

The thinking is probably "everyone will be using FSD soon, so why bother with the driver interface?"
I think this is exactly what they think. Listening to the earnings call last night, i heard someone who is losing touch with the realities of people driving cars. The call reinforced my belief that they do not want people driving cars manually. In my opinion they are obsessed with autonomy and robotaxis, to the exclusion of many other aspects of their auto business. As usual, Elon said he would be "shocked" if FSD could not drive safer than a human by the end of the year. I believe this is the 3rd year i've heard that.

At one point, someone asked about high volume vehicles like a $25k car and he answered by saying "It's apparent from the questions that the gravity of full self driving is not fully appreciated". That blew my mind. This is definitely not the company or the person i started admiring and believing in. I think we should probably forget about any improvement in customer related issues. They could not care less about people.

If anyone has the time, please listen to the whole thing, But skip to the 51 minute mark to hear his response that i'm talking about. Very eye opening and very sad.

Such a dangerous layout. More time watching screen than the road just to get to the right controls. I haven’t used any of the buttons on view at the bottom of the screen. They are irrelevant. Phone/music choice is accessible from buttons on wheel so not needed on Home Screen. All in all the person responsible for this layout needs firing along with all the people that approved it