Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consumer Reports punted the model 3 under the Ford Mustang Mach E this year, citing, among other things, the controls: "Both cars have large infotainment center screens, but the Mach-E’s is far easier to operate and doesn’t require multiple steps to activate routine features, such as using the defroster or adjusting the mirrors, as with the Tesla.”

Way to go Tesla!

It's dookie in every single way. Music sources used to be together, now it's all disparate. Climate controls are awful, and don't get better with music memory.

Not sure if it's related to v11, but talking to navigation often results in "no search results found" recently... I typically have to ask again. It translates it the same way both times, just doesn't find a matching place. Seems like a connectivity issue, but if that's the case why not give me a loading animation and wait for a connection?

V11 is worse than COVID. I think the price of the car should be lowered by 10% as long as v11 is installed, the car is definitely much worse with it.
I was wondering today, with Elon talking and even more attention from NHTSA, how much our cars will depreciate in a couple of years…

It's dookie in every single way. Music sources used to be together, now it's all disparate. Climate controls are awful, and don't get better with music memory.

Not sure if it's related to v11, but talking to navigation often results in "no search results found" recently... I typically have to ask again. It translates it the same way both times, just doesn't find a matching place. Seems like a connectivity issue, but if that's the case why not give me a loading animation and wait for a connection?

I think the price of the car should be lowered by 10% as long as v11 is installed, the car is definitely much worse with it.
I have noticed the same issue with nav on a couple locations. Had to use my phone for directions.

Here is Mercedes’ way of thinking :

They call it ‘zero-layer’ design. This concept makes all critical functions be available at the touch of an icon. No searching, no hidden menus to navigate.

Reactions: COS Blue and OxBrew

They call it ‘zero-layer’ design. This concept makes all critical functions be available at the touch of an icon. No searching, no hidden menus to navigate.
What a novel thought!

Looks like research into Tesla's UI design philosophy could end up being required reading for UI designers at other car makers. It would be a baseline for how NOT to approach a design. Then periodically validate the current design at any given time by revisiting this rule.

Well hell, my v10 days are numbered. This sucks.
Really don't want to risk v11 and some new bug grenading some new piece of hardware, until ALL the upcoming updates have been tested for a while. And font size and map contrast, and zero layer controls, and and.....

If the EQS was not 100k and not so dang ugly, I'd be 50/50 whether to update to v11 or get the Mercedes.

D13A22B3-DD55-4168-AC25-D13E42EB43D3.jpeg

Hmmm, I still haven't received that Notice. I haven't driven in weeks, but I checked and it's not there. I do have a yellow alarm, so an update came in on LTE. (I don't have WiFI set up at all.) I wonder if replacing the MCU a year or so ago came with updated modem drivers. I can hope. For now, still chillin' on 2020.12.11.5.

Really don't want to risk v11 and some new bug grenading some new piece of hardware, until ALL the upcoming updates have been tested for a while. And font size and map contrast, and zero layer controls, and and.....

If the EQS was not 100k and not so dang ugly, I'd be 50/50 whether to update to v11 or get the Mercedes.

View attachment 770943

View attachment 770943
I would still avoid installing it if I were smart enough to still have v10. Worst case you can update over Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Boza and kavyboy
Looks like research into Tesla's UI design philosophy could end up being required reading for UI designers at other car makers. It would be a baseline for how NOT to approach a design. Then periodically validate the current design at any given time by revisiting this rule.
I have half a notion that Tesla will undo the damage of V11. They might release V12 with customizable icons which is probably acceptable to many critics of the V11.

Elon is famously competitive, but I don’t know how much he cares about this particular issue.

Reactions: pilotSteve
what's stupid is in order to bring up the little "mini" climate control menu you have to change the damn temp. THAT'S just a fail.

and forget just trying to turn seat heaters on/off without full on turning climate on. wow. just wow. i am so sick of my car right now.

not to mention ALL of the things that were easily scanned at a glance now have to be accessed by a ****ing menu. wifi/cell connection. profile. dashcam.

I've tried twice now to "schedule" a service center appointment to get this off my car, and both times they decline and say V11 is not reversible. so we wait for V12. omg this is just bad. NOTHING is better in V11. NOTHING. just sad that Tesla does this *sugar* and won't budge on complaints. seriously what else can we do here?

Yes, i've raged and raged on these same points but i really don't know how else to cope...

I have half a notion that Tesla will undo the damage of V11. They might release V12 with customizable icons which is probably acceptable to many critics of the V11.

Elon is famously competitive, but I don’t know how much he cares about this particular issue.
I would not put my hope on Elon. He is obviously out of his depth. It is just a matter of time.
I think NHTSA will be more likely to bring a speedier resolution.

View attachment 770943
I got the same warning today. I don't really understand, turning off and losing access to 3G is a hardware problem, not a software problem. I'll take my chances and see how things work on the 23rd. As a member already stated, I can at least update over wifi if things go poorly. Next week could be interesting

Reactions: OxBrew

View attachment 770943

I am with you about the EQS. That’s why I looked at the EQE. 30 grand cheaper (expected to be around 70k).

There are several reasons EQE is my top choice:

1. Exterior and interior quality seems leaps and bounds ahead of anything Tesla is putting out.
2. Range is decent (~300 miles).
3. luxurious and very quiet inside, according to many reviews.
4. Rear wheel steering makes the turning diameter only 35.x feet. That’s smaller than my little E46 BMW 325i! (36.6
feet)

EDIT: I misspoke. RWD E46 has only a 34.4 ft turning diameter. 😏
Still, compared to Model 3 with 38.8 feet turning diameter, this big car is very impressive at 35.x feet.

5. Decent passenger space with a long wheelbase (makes for a more comfortable ride).
6. Traditional controls with some buttons, and a large touch screen as well.

I don’t care about straight line acceleration, I care more about how nimble the car is, and how quiet and luxurious it is. I care about the fit and finish, interior materials quality.

EQE is everything the Model S is not.

About the only thing I don’t like about it is the front ‘grill’. I can cover that with a simple vinyl wrap matching the color of the car, as far as possible.

Last edited:
I am with you about the EQS. That’s why I looked at the EQE. 30 grand cheaper (expected to be around 70k).

There are several reasons EQE is my top choice:

1. Exterior and interior quality seems leaps and bounds ahead of anything Tesla is putting out.
2. Range is decent (~300 miles).
3. luxurious and very quiet inside, according to many reviews.
4. Rear wheel steering makes the turning diameter only 35.x feet. That’s smaller than my little E46 BMW 325i! (36.6
feet)

EDIT: I misspoke. RWD E46 has only a 34.4 ft turning diameter. 😏
Still, compared to Model 3 with 38.8 feet turning diameter, this big car is very impressive at 35.x feet.

5. Decent passenger space with a long wheelbase (makes for a more comfortable ride).
6. Traditional controls with some buttons, and a large touch screen as well.

I don’t care about straight line acceleration, I care more about how nimble the car is, and how quiet and luxurious it is. I care about the fit and finish, interior materials quality.

About the only thing I don’t like about it is the front ‘grill’. I can cover that with a simple vinyl wrap matching the color of the car, as far as possible.
Here is the source for some of the things I wrote about the EQE:

That page has a lot of technical info about this upcoming car.

• Helpful
Reactions: kavyboy

The only thing that makes me nervous about German cars are their tendency to over-engineer things and the lack of consideration for affordable future serviceability. The sheer number of computers and sensors and their placement without regard to easy access.

The lack of an ICE definitely helps a LOT, but the initial high build quality can still degrade into a money pit. I would still be afraid of the higher probability of various trouble lights coming on where the only solution is to visit the dealer for service. Only time will tell how German EV's are gonna age.

Reactions: lensovet