Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the "this is crap" vote is 3:1 to the "this is great" vote. I wonder if that is truly representative of Tesla owners? Or are the owners who find this thread biased. I searched to find it as I expected I wasn't the only one unhappy. Maybe this will get Tesla to give us a choice in our UIs? After all, the UI doesn't impact the operation of the car.
My hope is pinned on NHTSA, unfortunately.
BTW, voting is not how one designs critical interfaces; it is not democracy :)
There are decades in research and science behind UI design. For example, for non-critical UI you make the most used functions easiest to access. In critical UI you put the most critical functions easiest to access. That is why the big, red STOP button is right in the middle - not because people use it every minute.
For some reason Tesla decided to ignore the accumulated wisdom in the field, which is, unfortunately, too common approach lately - as if the world did not exist before them.

I was 30 minutes into listening to a podcast through Tunin. Then I drove somewhere with my daughter and she turned it to music instead. After she was out I wanted to go back to the podcast. First, it's much harder to find with the new stupid layout. Then, it doesn't remember where I was and they removed the progress slider so that I could go back to the point I left off. Instead I'm left hitting the 15-second skip button 120 times. Probably more because it's tiny and even while parked I missed it a few times. It's maddening.
Actually, the slider is there, just under the controls. But you have to get really close to see it - it is only one pixel big. Once you find it, you will need some practice sliding it (for everyone else’s sake - don’t drive while you do it!). After 10min you will be able to use it. It is actually cool - moving an invisible slide bar. My wife was impressed.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m just fully unable to use that slider. The only way i manage is accidentally when attempting to pause or something. Unbelievable how moronic.

Same with the tiny defog/defrost/temp popup. I don’t know how to bring it up just to defog without going back and forth with the temp setting. Just unreal. Same with the slider in that popup, WHO can use it while driving safely???

The length thread leaves me firmly convinced that driving-necessary functions should be physical buttons and switches if only so that that script kiddies can’t mess with them. Sadly, next vehicle is not going to be a Tesla.
I have a Mercedes EQE reservation done as a backup if they don't revert this crap by then. Audi's look way too much like 'transformers' toys to me but Mercedes EQE + AWD + Hyperscreen is clean looking and efficient enough to qualify.

I’m just fully unable to use that slider. The only way i manage is accidentally when attempting to pause or something. Unbelievable how moronic.

Same with the tiny defog/defrost/temp popup. I don’t know how to bring it up just to defog without going back and forth with the temp setting. Just unreal. Same with the slider in that popup, WHO can use it while driving safely???
It is a video game: you have to solve the puzzle of where it is and how to use it, and then have a fight of reflexes before it disappears. Puzzles + combat is a very successful formula in the gaming industry.

If they had 400mi range, even with the disaster EA is, I would have traded my MS by now.
I honestly think EQS/EQE have better or equal range than the '400mi epa' MS in real life. Tesla is just very good in gaming the EPA numbers to look shiny. While the WLTP is in general more optimistic for most cars and gives higher readings, it's better for comparisons as it doesn't allow anyone to massage the numbers that much. WLTP numbers are pretty equal.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza and pilotSteve
I did not spend 100k for a video arcade!
Most video gamers (except for mobile games) still use lots of physical controls. Mechanical keyboards, mice with multiple buttons, analog controllers, etc. Good physical switches, even user configurable switches and buttons. Less capacitive controls (though some). Tesla learns nothing from the gaming industry, they just copy the mobile industry.

Just a reminder that v11 is beyond infuriating (a danger) to use, and Tesla has not even acknowledged it as a problem.

So, I guess we just keep slipping, sliding, putting our right foot in, bending over, and jiggling the handle. And that's just to adjust the car's temperature. Easily 20 more steps if you want to adjust a heated seat.

• Funny
Reactions: pilotSteve
Lot of shark jumping going on here.

No. The software *still* sucks, and we still have to use it, so it still affects us. These issues are non-trivial.

It's not as though this is their *first attempt* and it's subpar... these are REGRESSIONS and that's what makes it infuriating. The Happy Days are over until they replace v11 with something closer to v10.

No. The software *still* sucks, and we still have to use it, so it still affects us. These issues are non-trivial.

It's not as though this is their *first attempt* and it's subpar... these are REGRESSIONS and that's what makes it infuriating. The Happy Days are over until they replace v11 with something closer to v10.
My informal estimate of the reaction to the V11 UI is this. The TMC forums are populated by hard core Tesla junkies. That's not to say that casual owners don't visit, participate and benefit. But passions run deep here.

In my estimate, about a third of Tesla owners actually like the update. Another third don't like it, but are willing to see what changes will be made to address the loss of icons on the main screen. Some of these changes have already happened. Another 25% percent of Tesla owners have no idea that there is a V11 of the UI and many of those folks probably don't even know what a UI is. I run into them all the time. As an example of this obliviousness, I have a friend who has a M3 with FSD and not only did he not know about the UI fuss, he didn't even know that there was an FSD beta process. The rest (~10% or so) of the Tesla owners are completely unhappy with the V11 UI and are willing use repetition and hyperbole to make everyone else feel bad about their Tesla.

If the reaction on the TMC forums to the V11 UI actually mimicked the response of the full Tesla user base, Tesla would have gone back to the old UI. And for everyone that wants to sell your Tesla because of the UI, there are probably 2 or 3 people that will buy it from you immediately.