Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, they added one more slot, weeee. Besides the seat heaters, which goes next to the temperature & doesn't count as one of the 5 slots. So if you're like me and already have 4 essential items, you get to choose one out of the front or rear defrost, heated steering wheel, or wipers. And also, the heated steering wheel icon does nothing if your HVAC isn't already on.

The latest update has the front defrost, seat heaters and the wiper buttons back, and I am happy.

I bit the bullet and installed 2022.12.3.1. I've finally got the climate controls on the bottom bar, bit it's still all worse than v10 was. Lots of wasted space, and 2 icon spots for "recently used"... SMH. Plus the climate icons are monochrome (as they should be), but the other icons are still goofy and poorly represent their functions.

The whole "customize the bottom bar" is a failure and I wish it would go away. V10 was far superior down there.

I bit the bullet and installed 2022.12.3.1. I've finally got the climate controls on the bottom bar, bit it's still all worse than v10 was. Lots of wasted space, and 2 icon spots for "recently used"... SMH. Plus the climate icons are monochrome (as they should be), but the other icons are still goofy and poorly represent their functions.

The whole "customize the bottom bar" is a failure and I wish it would go away. V10 was far superior down there.
Yet, it took us 6 months to get back to about the same place where we started. Epitome of “features for the sake of features” that is so prevalent in modern software. How many times Apple switched between square and round icons?

The latest update has the front defrost, seat heaters and the wiper buttons back, and I am happy.
Yep, just noticed this in my update today (2022.12.3.2).

You have to long press any of the app icons to see the additional vehicle controls but this fixes my major issue with v11. It's also nice that the seat heater icons go into their own spots next to the driver and passenger.

So, yeah, for those who said having these options on the bottom bar wasn't an issue.... Elon disagreed.

Yep, just noticed this in my update today (2022.12.3.2).

You have to long press any of the app icons to see the additional vehicle controls but this fixes my major issue with v11. It's also nice that the seat heater icons go into their own spots next to the driver and passenger.

So, yeah, for those who said having these options on the bottom bar wasn't an issue.... Elon disagreed.

That said, there doesn’t seem to be a quality assurance and validation team of any competency at Tesla.

No ergonomics experts either.

And the front defrost leaves the climate on. So... No climate on, push defrost, push defrost again to turn off... climate on. Open climate menu and turn off.

This stuff isn't even tested it seems.
This one I'm sort of OK with now, after thinking about it: if conditions warranted defogging or de-icing, probably a good idea to keep the HVAC on to maintain clear windows. (at least that's what I tell myself so I can get past it)
If you turn the temp all the way down, AC comes on automatically. Well, they need to save the dollars somewhere to help with the Twitter acquisition!
This is really frustrating. It even comes on when I have it set to 66F and it's only 50F outside. No way do I want AC in this case. Or any time, actually, unless I turn it in.

Manual mode should be 100% manual. Stop trying to over think what I want, Tesla, Auto everything is ALWAYS wrong for me. I need an opt-out.

This one I'm sort of OK with now, after thinking about it: if conditions warranted defogging or de-icing, probably a good idea to keep the HVAC on to maintain clear windows. (at least that's what I tell myself so I can get past it)

This is really frustrating. It even comes on when I have it set to 66F and it's only 50F outside. No way do I want AC in this case. Or any time, actually, unless I turn it in.

Manual mode should be 100% manual. Stop trying to over think what I want, Tesla, Auto everything is ALWAYS wrong for me. I need an opt-out.
To be fair, Tesla's not alone in this - in most other newer cars I've driven the auto climate system does what it wants with the A/C. (I can virtually guarantee that the last several cars you've owned have turned the A/C on when you turned on the defroster.) I'm like you - I'd prefer to have the option for a truly manual system, but that's not what most cars give you anymore.

Also, in other cars if you have the system totally of and press the defrost button they may or may not turn on. Now, that's because they're mechanically controlled and there's no excuse for digitally controlled system like Tesla's not to be smart enough to come on when you press the defrost button, but then we've seen the skills of the UI team in action...

Reactions: Huskyf
To be fair, Tesla's not alone in this - in most other newer cars I've driven the auto climate system does what it wants with the A/C. (I can virtually guarantee that the last several cars you've owned have turned the A/C on when you turned on the defroster.) I'm like you - I'd prefer to have the option for a truly manual system, but that's not what most cars give you anymore.

Also, in other cars if you have the system totally of and press the defrost button they may or may not turn on. Now, that's because they're mechanically controlled and there's no excuse for digitally controlled system like Tesla's not to be smart enough to come on when you press the defrost button, but then we've seen the skills of the UI team in action...

It is actually good to have the AC turn on automatically when you turn in the front defogger. Helps with keeping the windshield dry. However, once you turn it off, AC should go off. It used to go off in V10, but doesn’t do that in V11.

I don’t need the AC to be on all the time, especially in the cold, when I’m trying to save battery charge. With the AC on, you will have to turn the heat up! That further eats into the range.

It is actually good to have the AC turn on automatically when you turn in the front defogger. Helps with keeping the windshield dry. However, once you turn it off, AC should go off. It used to go off in V10, but doesn’t do that in V11.

I don’t need the AC to be on all the time, especially in the cold, when I’m trying to save battery charge. With the AC on, you will have to turn the heat up! That further eats into the range.

Yes, turning off the defogger should leave the car in the same state that it was before you turned the defogger on. It shouldn't have side effects.

Reactions: COS Blue and Boza
Agree - the system should turn the A/C off when not needed. That makes sense no matter what kind of car you're driving. In ICE cars, the heat and the A/C were independent, so the defroster could send out dehumidified, heated air. I'm not sure how they manage that with a heat pump.

On many occasions aircraft accidents happen because the “system is smarter than the pilot” - when engaged it does unexpected things; when disengaged it does not return in the previous state. When I turn the HVAC to manual I don’t want it to be smarter than me - no AC means no AC, regardless of the temperature. I was also surprised that there is no way to completely disengage the stability control. I love having it, it has been helpful many times but last winter I had a few occasions when I really wanted it off.