Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 Transition Guide

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wrote this up as a guide for myself and my SO to help transitioning from V10 to V11. Thought it might be helpful to others. I know many folks feel that V11 is a mixed bag at best. This isn't intended to address that, just to help find and do things that we were used to doing a certain way in V10 and is now different. Let me know what I've got wrong and what I missed. BTW, I listed features alphabetically but might have used my own names for things which obviously would affect the order.

Update: Thanks, everyone. I've incorporated the comments received so far and made a new version with selected pics of the UI.

V11 Transition Guide​

Backup camera button: No longer fixed on the bottom of the screen. Can be added back as one of your “favorite” control icons. Here’s a shot of all the icons, with my “favorites” fixed at the bottom.
allicons.jpg

Bluetooth/Notifications/Connectivity (cellular/wifi), and HomeLink (if applicable): These buttons that used to be always on the top of the screen will now display at the top right of the Controls panel.
Controls.jpg

Charging: Tapping the battery icon brings up the Charging control panel. (As before, tapping the battery % or distance remaining toggles between those options.)

Climate controls: This used to be accessed by a fan icon. Now, you can bring up the full climate control panel by either tapping the current temperature or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Note that the fan control is now a slider, with the option of direct setting by tapping anywhere on the slider but no + or - buttons.

Also, you can bring up a mini climate panel by tapping a temperature arrow (which does change the temperature one degree whether you wanted that or not, so you would need to then touch the other one if you want to retain the exact setting).
acmini.jpg

Dashcam: No longer fixed at the top of the screen. The viewer can be set as one of your “favorite” control icons.

Defrost and defog: No longer fixed buttons on the bottom of the screen. Now available in climate controls (see above). Not available to be pinned as “favorites”, so most convenient is pressing a temperature arrow for the mini panel.

Driver profile: No longer fixed on the top of the screen but will display at the top of the Controls panel.

Homelink: Now appears when at home location at bottom of left display, with a large “Activate” button, and also the prior small Homelink icon now at the top left of the map. If you don’t have your seatbelt on when the large button at the bottom left is showing, the seat belt warning will cover it, but you can still access the small icon along the top of the display. The Homelink icon also appears at the top of the “Controls” panel, in case you want to access it when at some other location.

Lights: Pushing the left stalk forward, which I think has always turned auto-highbeams off/on, now brings up a mini “Lights” control panel. Note that this seems to only come up when auto-highbeams is off, so if you have them on, you'll need to push it twice (which you'd need to do anyway to retain your setting).
mini lights.jpg

Map charge locations: Used to be accessed by tapping the map to bring up the lightning bolt button and pressing it. Now it’s under “navigate” as a button with the word “Charging”.

Map orientation: The map orientation button (North up, Route squiggle, or Car direction) that used to always be on the top right of the map, is now on the top left, but is covered up during navigation. To display it again, tap the map.

Music/media panel: These are now separated by service (although the various services can be accessed from within each other, and some favorites from different services are still listed together). You might want to make one or two of your services (radio and bluetooth for me) fixed as “favorites” on the bottom panel. FYI, there are three sizes of this panel. It’s trickier than before to change between the two smaller sizes by dragging the top bar, but you can use the modified three-line “hamburger” icon (with a little triangle in the corner – what’s that called in the iconography world?) to toggle between the sizes. Once you pick one of the smaller sizes, the swiping action will switch between the large and whichever smaller you pick (and swiping further down will of course close the panel).
Full:
largeplayer.jpg

Mid:
midplayer.jpg

Mini:
miniplayer.jpg

Seat heaters: No longer in a fixed position at the bottom of the screen, nor available as icons to add there. New “Auto” setting available (but only when overall AC is set to “Auto”). Access the seat heaters under the climate controls (tap the current temperature setting). For the driver only, it’s also available under the mini climate panel (tap a temperature arrow).

Tire pressure: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Service” panel. If you use voice commands, you can say “Open service settings”.

Trip odomoters: No longer available as a card. Now under “Trips”. If you use voice commands, I think you can say “Open Trips”.

Windshield wipers: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Controls” panel, although it’s generally easiest to bring up the mini Wipers panel by pushing the stalk (although that will do a wash/swipe whether needed or not).
wipers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This comment I dont get. If its not raining, then you can either use voice commands to turn them on or off at a specific level, etc. If it IS raining, and you press the button to swipe it (because its or there is mist on the window), if it smears you press it again to use window cleaner, or turn it on in the context menu that comes up, or turn it on with voice commands.

How is "pushing the button might cause a smear" related to turning on windshield wipers because its raining?
Voice command it really iffy in French. I tell it to do something and it does something completely different, often, the opposite of what I said (like turning on something instead of turning it off).

Voice command it really iffy in French. I tell it to do something and it does something completely different, often, the opposite of what I said (like turning on something instead of turning it off).

Oh I get that voice commands dont work for everyone, in every language. Thats not the part I didnt understand and perhaps there is a language difference here. You said "If I push the button to activate the wipers manually, it may smear the windshield". Under what circumstances would that occur?

If a wipe from pushing the button would smear the windows, so would turning on the wipers in some other manner, so thats why I didnt understand the comment.

The dashcam icon that you can add to the bottom control bar is only for accessing the viewer, as far as I can tell. The old one is on the Controls screen.

So the icon you could use while driving is currently unavailable there, and the one you can't use is available there.

If a wipe from pushing the button would smear the windows, so would turning on the wipers in some other manner, so thats why I didnt understand the comment.

I think they're saying that when auto wipers turn on without rain, pressing the stalk button exacerbates the smearing problem as a step towards tapping the "off" target. But pressing harder to spray would fix that.

So the icon you could use while driving is currently unavailable there, and the one you can't use is available there.

I think they're saying that when auto wipers turn on without rain, pressing the stalk button exacerbates the smearing problem as a step towards tapping the "off" target. But pressing harder to spray would fix that.

ahh ok, that makes sense.

I wrote this up as a guide for myself and my SO to help transitioning from V10 to V11. Thought it might be helpful to others. I know many folks feel that V11 is a mixed bag at best. This isn't intended to address that, just to help find and do things that we were used to doing a certain way in V10 and is now different. Let me know what I've got wrong and what I missed. BTW, I listed features alphabetically but might have used my own names for things which obviously would affect the order.

Update: Thanks, everyone. I've incorporated the comments received so far and made a new version with selected pics of the UI.

V11 Transition Guide​

Backup camera button: No longer fixed on the bottom of the screen. Can be added back as one of your “favorite” control icons. Here’s a shot of all the icons, with my “favorites” fixed at the bottom.
View attachment 751142

Bluetooth/Notifications/Connectivity (cellular/wifi), and HomeLink (if applicable): These buttons that used to be always on the top of the screen will now display at the top right of the Controls panel.
View attachment 751140

Charging: Tapping the battery icon brings up the Charging control panel. (As before, tapping the battery % or distance remaining toggles between those options.)

Climate controls: This used to be accessed by a fan icon. Now, you can bring up the full climate control panel by either tapping the current temperature or swiping up from the bottom of the screen. Note that the fan control is now a slider, with the option of direct setting by tapping anywhere on the slider but no + or - buttons.

Also, you can bring up a mini climate panel by tapping a temperature arrow (which does change the temperature one degree whether you wanted that or not, so you would need to then touch the other one if you want to retain the exact setting).
View attachment 751121

Dashcam: No longer fixed at the top of the screen. The viewer can be set as one of your “favorite” control icons.

Defrost and defog: No longer fixed buttons on the bottom of the screen. Now available in climate controls (see above). Not available to be pinned as “favorites”, so most convenient is pressing a temperature arrow for the mini panel.

Driver profile: No longer fixed on the top of the screen but will display at the top of the Controls panel.

Homelink: Now appears when at home location at bottom of left display, with a large “Activate” button, and also the prior small Homelink icon now at the top left of the map. If you don’t have your seatbelt on when the large button at the bottom left is showing, the seat belt warning will cover it, but you can still access the small icon along the top of the display. The Homelink icon also appears at the top of the “Controls” panel, in case you want to access it when at some other location.

Lights: Pushing the left stalk forward, which I think has always turned auto-highbeams off/on, now brings up a mini “Lights” control panel. Note that this seems to only come up when auto-highbeams is off, so if you have them on, you'll need to push it twice (which you'd need to do anyway to retain your setting).
View attachment 751128

Map charge locations: Used to be accessed by tapping the map to bring up the lightning bolt button and pressing it. Now it’s under “navigate” as a button with the word “Charging”.

Map orientation: The map orientation button (North up, Route squiggle, or Car direction) that used to always be on the top right of the map, is now on the top left, but is covered up during navigation. To display it again, tap the map.

Music/media panel: These are now separated by service (although the various services can be accessed from within each other, and some favorites from different services are still listed together). You might want to make one or two of your services (radio and bluetooth for me) fixed as “favorites” on the bottom panel. FYI, there are three sizes of this panel. It’s trickier than before to change between the two smaller sizes by dragging the top bar, but you can use the modified three-line “hamburger” icon (with a little triangle in the corner – what’s that called in the iconography world?) to toggle between the sizes. Once you pick one of the smaller sizes, the swiping action will switch between the large and whichever smaller you pick (and swiping further down will of course close the panel).
Full:
View attachment 751132
Mid:
View attachment 751136
Mini:
View attachment 751138

Seat heaters: No longer in a fixed position at the bottom of the screen, nor available as icons to add there. New “Auto” setting available (but only when overall AC is set to “Auto”). Access the seat heaters under the climate controls (tap the current temperature setting). For the driver only, it’s also available under the mini climate panel (tap a temperature arrow).

Tire pressure: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Service” panel. If you use voice commands, you can say “Open service settings”.

Trip odomoters: No longer available as a card. Now under “Trips”. If you use voice commands, I think you can say “Open Trips”.

Windshield wipers: No longer available as a card. Now under the “Controls” panel, although it’s generally easiest to bring up the mini Wipers panel by pushing the stalk (although that will do a wash/swipe whether needed or not).
View attachment 751139
Really helpful. Thanks

Reactions: Freshtry

And my Voice Commands don't open these functions. Am on the current SW, even re-booted the car. So Voice Commands are still a crapshoot.

Nice work and write up.. what is sad though, is that we need this AT ALL for a transition. The best transitions bring enhancements and MORE intuitive interface design. This V11 seems like several steps backwards.

I miss the trip cards, and tire pressure cards, and easy swipe UP from the bottom of the screen to get the media interface, just to easily change change or source type. Gone, now all swipe up from bottom does is HVAC/AC etc.

Also, why removing working VOICE commands? Used to be able to say “show me tire pressure”. Now that easy access to it has been removed, WHY remove the working voice command?

Don’t get me started on how poorly the UX on the map interface is, with smaller fonts, reduced ability to + or - overall and keep the map working. Pinching to zoom works, but then won’t stay and the GPS tracking of the car, either movement or North UP vs. Cardinal direction UP gets paused, until it’s zoomed BACK out and clicked again and then everything is small. Why would the default map visualization want to show me what appears to be at LEAST a full mile up and right left? Its not necessary, certainly not when driving in a city when looking for a turn or side street, that come every 1/10th of a mile at the most.

Don’t get me started on how poorly the UX on the map interface is, with smaller fonts, reduced ability to + or - overall and keep the map working. Pinching to zoom works, but then won’t stay and the GPS tracking of the car, either movement or North UP vs. Cardinal direction UP gets paused, until it’s zoomed BACK out and clicked again and then everything is small. Why would the default map visualization want to show me what appears to be at LEAST a full mile up and right left? Its not necessary, certainly not when driving in a city when looking for a turn or side street, that come every 1/10th of a mile at the most.
Yes, this is one of our biggest complaints about V11. The other issue we have is the removal of the seat heater & front/rear defrost icons from the bottom of the screen in our S. In MN we use those 4 buttons many times per day for about half the year. Now it’s 2-4 screen presses to accomplish what used to be 1 press.

Reactions: GSP and tivoboy
Yes, this is one of our biggest complaints about V11. The other issue we have is the removal of the seat heater & front/rear defrost icons from the bottom of the screen in our S. In MN we use those 4 buttons many times per day for about half the year. Now it’s 2-4 screen presses to accomplish what used to be 1 press.
And if I'm not mistaken (can't be sure because I'm staying with V10 for now), you don't easily see the status of seat heaters now. This is important for the passenger seat. That setting might have been saved to your driver profile when you had a passenger, but once they're gone the seat will keep heating unless you manually select it off.

This comment I dont get. If its not raining, then you can either use voice commands to turn them on or off at a specific level, etc. If it IS raining, and you press the button to swipe it (because its or there is mist on the window), if it smears you press it again to use window cleaner, or turn it on in the context menu that comes up, or turn it on with voice commands.

How is "pushing the button might cause a smear" related to turning on windshield wipers because its raining?
Thanks for asking, because this question clearly illustrates how those living in California don't understand the reality of driving in northern climates. On mucky winter days, the windshield gets covered with a spray that contains a mixture of salt and dirt. It's often easier to let it build up for a while, then manually sweep it off with the wipers if it stays wet enough. However if there isn't enough water and you don't spray the windshield, it smears and you suddenly can't see anything. Tesla's idea of "auto" wipers works adequately for normal rain, but in winter my wipers are set to OFF most of the time because they can never get it right. Sometimes too fast, sometimes the windshield is almost obscured before they activate. Other times, I manually set the speed to match driving conditions. The bottom line is that I'm not always sure what setting I left them in. I don't want to activate the wipers with the stalk button in order to check the setting, because that might smear the windshield. The V10 icon is easily reachable and gives a quick display of the current setting. It should not have been removed.

The auto climate control doesn't work well in winter either. Windshield heating requirements vary with outside and interior conditions, but Tesla activates windshield heat based only on interior humidity and temperature. Sometimes that's inappropriate, because it can dry the salt spray on the outside. Air distribution in Auto is wrong too. I don't know of any other vehicle that sends hot air from the dash in the winter, but that's the Tesla default. It's fine for AC, but in winter conditions the footwell is the area that needs the most heat. My Model Y does a terrible job in that function, and there are several other threads addressing this issue.

Thanks for asking, because this question clearly illustrates how those living in California don't understand the reality of driving in northern climates. On mucky winter days, the windshield gets covered with a spray that contains a mixture of salt and dirt. It's often easier to let it build up for a while, then manually sweep it off with the wipers if it stays wet enough. However if there isn't enough water and you don't spray the windshield, it smears and you suddenly can't see anything. Tesla's idea of "auto" wipers works adequately for normal rain, but in winter my wipers are set to OFF most of the time because they can never get it right. Sometimes too fast, sometimes the windshield is almost obscured before they activate. Other times, I manually set the speed to match driving conditions. The bottom line is that I'm not always sure what setting I left them in. I don't want to activate the wipers with the stalk button in order to check the setting, because that might smear the windshield. The V10 icon is easily reachable and gives a quick display of the current setting. It should not have been removed.

The auto climate control doesn't work well in winter either. Windshield heating requirements vary with outside and interior conditions, but Tesla activates windshield heat based only on interior humidity and temperature. Sometimes that's inappropriate, because it can dry the salt spray on the outside. Air distribution in Auto is wrong too. I don't know of any other vehicle that sends hot air from the dash in the winter, but that's the Tesla default. It's fine for AC, but in winter conditions the footwell is the area that needs the most heat. My Model Y does a terrible job in that function, and there are several other threads addressing this issue.

Really appreciate the detailed response / explanation.

Reactions: Hairyman

View attachment 751121

View attachment 751128

Just think what you could have been doing with your time had they not fumbled this update so badly. On the other hand, you're probably giddy wearing your Tesla Superhero outfit now. THANKS!

I thought the hot air blowing out the front problem was just me. I don’t understand why I can’t select footwell for heat and also have auto on. Auto also loves the “go fast” setting on the fan which sometimes feels like too much. I wouldn’t run the fan full speed unless there’s an issue of some sort. Defogging maybe. For normal heat or cooling I start trading off speed for the (loud) noise of the fan. When I’m not in the car it can run full speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rtmpaul
I thought the hot air blowing out the front problem was just me. I don’t understand why I can’t select footwell for heat and also have auto on. Auto also loves the “go fast” setting on the fan which sometimes feels like too much. I wouldn’t run the fan full speed unless there’s an issue of some sort. Defogging maybe. For normal heat or cooling I start trading off speed for the (loud) noise of the fan. When I’m not in the car it can run full speed.
Tesla Service told me the cabin temp sensor is designed to use the dash vent airflow for its control loop. When I select them off so more air is available for the footwell, I find my legs get even colder and I have to crank the temperature setting up to around 24C to get comfortable. I have recently tried turning off the rear seat airflow, not sure if yet if that helps.

Reactions: Sporty