Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - what’s your verdict?

V11 - what’s your verdict?

• I love it

Votes: 63 14.8%
  • Some good things, some bad things, but overall it’s ok

Votes: 181 42.5%
  • A bit “meh”. I can live with it, but preferred the old UI

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • I hate it

Votes: 75 17.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m seriously now considering getting rid of the car over this - seems silly but this is really annoying me!
It’s certainly moved my opinion a little lower. My wife has a VW ID3 and its infotainment and UI is so damn awful that we’re seriously considering replacing it with another Model 3. But I’m cooling on the idea with this latest update.

Fog lights are now no longer under quick controls and still can’t be turned on with voice control. Really frustrating having to make those extra pushes to get to safety critical items that are needed whilst in motion.
Yep, just experienced squeaky bum time whilst trying to activate the fogs on a narrow country lane in the dark. Stupid ‘upgrade’!!

Reactions: unai
Functionally, this iteration is a step back in my opinion. The old UI was simpler and cleaner, but I think it was reaching its limit practically. I also think this new UI direction has given Tesla the potential to do much more, so hopefully they are listening to feedback.

That being said, I don't see why they would have made such distinct changes without data backing it up in the first place, so the negative feedback here might be a minority for all we know.

I was so pissed off this morning when I went out and found it had updated - I can live with most of the changes but surely I’m not the only one that’s pissed off with the removal of the controls - so much for the clean minimalistic look Tesla has always had; let’s hide all the controls behind other menus (clearly that’s safe when your driving and trying to turn on your seat heaters!)

let’s instead have an empty black bar along the bottom of the screen - two separate climate control options for each side of the car but have no other controls or ability to at least add them yourself.

Ok yes they’ve allowed the user to add apps to the bar, which most will never actually use - and worse of all let’s just throw our subtle minimal colour scheme out the window and dump all these ugly looking icons instead.

I’m seriously now considering getting rid of the car over this - seems silly but this is really annoying me!
I could not agree any more! This is hideous and has made me so angry. Form over function and it’s hard to argue that it looks better than it did. Change for the sake of change, someone should get fired over this!

Isn't it like going from Win 7 to Win 10. Not many people liked the change, but a few years on not many people want to go back to Win 7...
Also Tesla will fine tune the UI based on feedback from user groups. Look at what's happening with Win 11...
One thing I don't like is the automatic heated seats (with no heated steering whee that should be addedl) that doesn't have visual feedback of heat level on the main screen.
Oh, and they buttons don't go blue when automatic mode is selected.

Last edited:
Isn't it like going from Win 7 to Win 10. Not many people liked the change, but a few years on not many people want to go back to Win 7...
Also Tesla will fine tune the UI based on feedback from user groups. Look at what's happening with Win 11...
One thing I don't like is the automatic heated seats (with no heated steering whee that should be addedl) that doesn't have visual feedback of heat level on the main screen.
I agree with you Kelvin re windows 11 however Tesla should not have removed or a least given the opportunity to place essential driving aids such as windscreen demist, rear fog etc in the bottom tray.

So having played with it today while driving as far as I can tell these are the features which now require you to go into menus to actually use;

+ Dashcam - no longer at top of the screen - if you want to save manually you either have to hit the horn or click car icon - dashcam on the controls screen - then hit car icon / swipe to remove the menu

+ windscreen de mister - no longer at bottom of screen - now have to click climate, look at screen to see where they’ve randomly positioned the button and then click it - then swipe to get rid of the climate controls

+ seat heaters - as above or you can attempt to argue with the crap voice controls (Scottish) if you want them all turned on to full power

+ radio - now multiple separate apps - minor annoyance but looks messy and they don’t close when you switch from radio to Spotify so you have to manually close each one to get back to your map display

+ messages - still doesn’t work with iPhone (has never worked with mine - might just be me)

+ phone book - can live with it however I never used it previously I just shouted on Siri to make the call and it came up itself.

+ phone calls - no longer get phone controls popping up as a card so you have to manually press the phone app when connected to the call to cancel the call or to access the keypad.

+ fog lights - car icon -> lights menu -> fog lights then same have to swipe / press car icon to get rid of menu

+ driver profiles - if your car selects wrong profile you have to press car -> controls - in order to cancel or change it…

+ trip distance - goodbye cards now in a menu

+ tyre pressures - I assume it’s under the service menu now

+ notifications now appear at the very bottom of the pointless visualisation display which still wastes so much screen space - at least put sat nav directions in that empty space or something

Most of these are minor annoyances but seriously at least let us set the previous controls as bloody shortcuts on the bottom menu.

Also don’t really understand how this is approved given the UKs policy of “distracted driving”.

Maybe they should stop trying to impress YouTubers with all these stupid gimmicks and think about making a car that’s actually drivable by the general population!

One plus: you can now finally set the car to only unlock drivers door when first unlocking!

Last edited:
So having played with it today while driving as far as I can tell these are the features which now require you to go into menus to actually use;

+ Dashcam - no longer at top of the screen - if you want to save manually you either have to hit the horn or click car icon - dashcam on the controls screen - then hit car icon / swipe to remove the menu

+ windscreen de mister - no longer at bottom of screen - now have to click climate, look at screen to see where they’ve randomly positioned the button and then click it - then swipe to get rid of the climate controls

+ seat heaters - as above or you can attempt to argue with the crap voice controls (Scottish) if you want them all turned on to full power

+ radio - now multiple separate apps - minor annoyance but looks messy and they don’t close when you switch from radio to Spotify so you have to manually close each one to get back to your map display

+ messages - still doesn’t work with iPhone (has never worked with mine - might just be me)

+ phone book - can live with it however I never used it previously I just shouted on Siri to make the call and it came up itself.

+ phone calls - no longer get phone controls popping up as a card so you have to manually press the phone app when connected to the call to cancel the call or to access the keypad.

+ fog lights - car icon -> lights menu -> fog lights then same have to swipe / press car icon to get rid of menu

+ driver profiles - if your car selects wrong profile you have to press car -> controls - in order to cancel or change it…

+ notifications now appear at the very bottom of the pointless visualisation display which still wastes so much screen space - at least put sat nav directions in that empty space or something

Most of these are minor annoyances but seriously at least let us set the previous controls as bloody shortcuts on the bottom menu.

Also don’t really understand how this is approved given the UKs policy of “distracted driving”.

Maybe they should stop trying to impress YouTubers with all these stupid gimmicks and think about making a car that’s actually drivable by the general population!

One plus: you can now finally set the car to only unlock drivers door when first unlocking!
Fantastic summary of the regressions. It feels like something a designer came up with as it looked “clean” vs an actual UX expert.

my Messages have always worked with my iphone, sending and receiving. Fog lights - press the left stalk away from you briefly and a menu will pop up

That being said, I don't see why they would have made such distinct changes without data backing it up in the first place, so the negative feedback here might be a minority for all we know.
There's a reddit thread with pretty much the same list of complaints so the americans aren't keen either.

Also, Elon is known to read reddit, but less likely this forum.

my Messages have always worked with my iphone, sending and receiving. Fog lights - press the left stalk away from you briefly and a menu will pop up
I stand corrected on the phone thing - although if you have an active warning message (such as put on seatbelts) the “card” is displayed behind it so you can’t actually see it - I hope it’s not the same with the lights but I didn’t test that while driving! I was playing with the phone while stopped On driveway but with car in drive.

Messages has never worked with mine and can’t find any option to enable it anywhere either in phone privacy settings, Tesla app or car (calendar, phone book and phone call history works fine)

Status
Not open for further replies.