Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - what’s your verdict?

V11 - what’s your verdict?

• I love it

Votes: 63 14.8%
  • Some good things, some bad things, but overall it’s ok

Votes: 181 42.5%
  • A bit “meh”. I can live with it, but preferred the old UI

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • I hate it

Votes: 75 17.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So tyre pressure warning icon popped up this morning - seems a bit daft that in order to view what the problem is you need to go into the service menu while driving - OR remember to look at the service menu as soon as you stop driving and lift your arse off the seat before the numbers disappear!

Charging screen also seems such a waste of space (first time charging since Christmas) - why is it even there when they’ve moved everything it used to tell you to the sidebar?

Lastly maybe I’m imagining this but has that sidebar (“visualisation thing”) gotten very slightly larger than it used to be? Something seems off about it and I can’t decide if I’m imagining it or if it’s actually bigger.

Previously mentioned issues still annoying me :)

Lastly maybe I’m imagining this but has that sidebar (“visualisation thing”) gotten very slightly larger than it used to be? Something seems off about it and I can’t decide if I’m imagining it or if it’s actually bigger.
It’s actually got ever so slightly smaller. It maybe looks bigger because of other changes. Would prefer the proportions when I first had the car though.

Reactions: Alistairuk
So tyre pressure warning icon popped up this morning - seems a bit daft that in order to view what the problem is you need to go into the service menu while driving - OR remember to look at the service menu as soon as you stop driving and lift your arse off the seat before the numbers disappear!

Yes! They missed a chance with all these UI changes to make clicking on that error message show you the tyre pressures.

I have this all the time, 3 of 4 are working but one needs a service centre visit for replacement.

i just wrote a long post about my experiences with v11 but edited as I thought you would all get bored reading it.

in summary
<rant>
It is a complete cluster **ck of bugs, inconsistencies and outright stupid UI design that has no place in the car.
Whoever released this would be safer painting the walls.

I cannot say loudly enough that software in a car needs to work consistently, or it becomes a distraction to the point of being downright dangerous.

Yes there are many good features, but Tesla really need to grow up and stop releasing half-baked cr@p like this,

In the early days I could cut them some slack but as a $trillion company no way is this acceptable.
I says this as a Tesla owner for 7 years and not because I wish Tesla any ill, in fact much the opposite I applaud them, but they really have to do better.

On top of which, rebooting the UI 5 times in as many days becuase of UI glitches is not in the right park never mind the right game.
</rant>

Having been using it for a few days you get used to the changes although that doesn't make them better to me. as with most things there are things I prefer, and things I don't.

But what has dawned on me (maybe I'm slow on the uptake), is that a new person getting into any car should be able to operate the driving functions without much effort and know how to turn the cabin heater on, demist the windscreen, find the fog lights if needed, the hazard warning lights, wieprs etc. A car for the people should be usable by anyone with a driving license and without spending half an hour working out things. On that simple test it fails.

But what has dawned on me (maybe I'm slow on the uptake), is that a new person getting into any car should be able to operate the driving functions without much effort and know how to turn the cabin heater on, demist the windscreen, find the fog lights if needed, the hazard warning lights, wieprs etc. A car for the people should be usable by anyone with a driving license and without spending half an hour working out things. On that simple test it fails.
I think that sums up the problem perfectly - I can imagine the nightmare that would be getting into a Tesla* for the first time as a hire car in the dark in winter.

*(Assuming you had figured out how to get in of course).

Reactions: Wol747
Having been using it for a few days you get used to the changes although that doesn't make them better to me. as with most things there are things I prefer, and things I don't.

I agree entirely George. I’ve owned or driven several hundred cars in my 50 odd years as a licence holder. The wasn’t a single one I couldn’t get in and drive from the moment I sat in it. I grant you that the cars produced from about 2006 onwards, had some foibles with their infotainment systems, but driving and all the safety controls were obvious.
when I first test drove the Tesla, I couldn’t even turn the radio off! Now it’s a complete buggers muddle. Wipers and lights should be obvious. The heating is displayed but touching it for seat heaters or pre adjustment just turns it on. That shouldn’t be the case.
I know the the focus is everything on auto and that’s fine, if it all works properly, which for a lot of owners, it doesn’t. I have to say my wipers are OK but auto main beam is hit and miss. locking/unlocking has always worked.
All that said, there is a lot of convenience in just getting and driving, day or night, without having to do anything. I can’t remember the last time I had a map in the car either!
one day, it will all work flawlessly… ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Peter 224
@Peter 224
hi, intrigued to discuss what you disagree with as usually we are on the same page?
(do consider your experience may be different if you have a M3 with landscape display, mine is MS with portrait display)

the MCU crashing on a regular basis is acceptable?
Miniscule icons right in the bottom right corner of the screen down by the drivers knee for heated windows?
the mess that is the hvac controls in general, with multiple taps to get to potentially urgently required demist functions, the miniscule font used? the microscopically precise action required to increase/decrease temps or open the hvac panel?
... all while at the bottom of the screen with your eye waaay off driving line of sight?
the concept of mru placed buttons so that part of the interface is different every time you go to it and requires additional time to scan and use?
the pointless entirely blank part of the bottom left of the screen unless you split the heater controls to left/right?
then you have got the media player - i'm sure you dont want me to get started on that ...

Use voice control I thought to get around some of the quirks - well the results are entertaining if not entirely random to say the least, guess I should work on my Fremont accent. Again dont accept a car control command unless there is 100% confidence in the instruction given, at least require confirmation. I don't even recall which command I tried that literally just blanked out the screens and rebooted them mid drive on a dual carriageway in the dark, in the rain. But do please disagree if you think this is acceptable.
(actually driving the car in with the displays dark was refreshingly 'peaceful' for a few minutes - a display black out mode with just the barest legally required info displayed would be a lovely addition please Tesla, just a tap on the central screen to wake up again)

don't get me wrong there's some really good stuff too and much to like, the waypoint implementation in particular appears mostly well thought through.

I have driven several hundred miles with v11 to get used to it before commenting, but to all appearances Tesla have rushed this out and as a now mature company really have to release a more polished product, not just throw stuff out on general release in "beta" style wait for user feedback to then iterate and improve.

The end result in a few months time will be good, but with the complexity and capability of today's infotainment systems they really have to work well and intuitively so as not to be a safety concern. Compare the rigorous laws and punitive fines/penalties for mobile phone use.

I know the MS very well after many years of ownership, but with v11 I have found myself with my eyes off the road for far more than I like, and for less experienced owners I trust this does not lead to unfortunate results.

Reactions: Wol747
I have driven several hundred miles with v11 to get used to it before commenting, but to all appearances Tesla have rushed this out and as a now mature company really have to release a more polished product, not just throw stuff out on general release in "beta" style wait for user feedback to then iterate and improve.

The end result in a few months time will be good
I think you've cut Tesla too much slack here. Essentially V11 came out 6 months ago with the release of the new MS - so they've had months to take feedback and improve, and we have the result of that development with V11 being rolled out to existing vehicles - which is far from ideal.

Granted there aren't many new MS owners to get feedback from, but given the time they have had you would expect better.

I hope some of the developers move with the HQ to Austin - so they can experience the need to be able to turn on seat heaters 🥶

Reactions: Filbert1884
I think that sums up the problem perfectly - I can imagine the nightmare that would be getting into a Tesla* for the first time as a hire car in the dark in winter.

*(Assuming you had figured out how to get in of course).

Indeed.

The V11 User experience adds even more head scratching to those new to the world of Tesla.

Original user interface quibbles that I still need to explain to EVERY newbie who gets in my Model 3 include:

- Instructing them how to open the door and get in, “Just push the handle with your thumb”. I usually need to show them.
- Instructing them how to open the door and get out, “No! Don’t use the lever that looks like the obvious door handle, press the button up there. Yes that one that you think is the electric window button”.
- Instructing them how to open the glovebox, “No you won’t find it, it’s on the touchscreen. There, no there”.

Little things that should never ever need to be explained but always need to be.

Would love to know who defines the user interface standards at Tesla and if they’ve ever driven an actual car before.

PS. I still love it but these niggles are infuriating, every time.

Essentially V11 came out 6 months ago with the release of the new MS - so they've had months to take feedback and improve, and we have the result of that development with V11 being rolled out to existing vehicles - which is far from ideal.

One of our complaints with regard to the info "cards" (for odometers/consumption) doesn't apply to the MS version due to them having that info on a secondary screen.

Yeah not impressed with the latest version;
  • As above how do you change map view?
  • How do you trigger dashcam recording """without"" (edit) pressing the horn?
  • Got in the car this morning after my (Short) wife had been driving it. We have easy entry on her profile, so it is easier for me been tall to get in. I pressed the brake and got forced into the steering wheel and knees around my ears before I figured out where the profile options had been hidden!
  • I liked seeing my tyre pressure easily..
Just got to ask why!!!!!!

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
@Peter 224
hi, intrigued to discuss what you disagree with as usually we are on the same page?
(do consider your experience may be different if you have a M3 with landscape display, mine is MS with portrait display)

the MCU crashing on a regular basis is acceptable?
Miniscule icons right in the bottom right corner of the screen down by the drivers knee for heated windows?
the mess that is the hvac controls in general, with multiple taps to get to potentially urgently required demist functions, the miniscule font used? the microscopically precise action required to increase/decrease temps or open the hvac panel?
... all while at the bottom of the screen with your eye waaay off driving line of sight?
the concept of mru placed buttons so that part of the interface is different every time you go to it and requires additional time to scan and use?
the pointless entirely blank part of the bottom left of the screen unless you split the heater controls to left/right?
then you have got the media player - i'm sure you dont want me to get started on that ...

Use voice control I thought to get around some of the quirks - well the results are entertaining if not entirely random to say the least, guess I should work on my Fremont accent. Again dont accept a car control command unless there is 100% confidence in the instruction given, at least require confirmation. I don't even recall which command I tried that literally just blanked out the screens and rebooted them mid drive on a dual carriageway in the dark, in the rain. But do please disagree if you think this is acceptable.
(actually driving the car in with the displays dark was refreshingly 'peaceful' for a few minutes - a display black out mode with just the barest legally required info displayed would be a lovely addition please Tesla, just a tap on the central screen to wake up again)

don't get me wrong there's some really good stuff too and much to like, the waypoint implementation in particular appears mostly well thought through.

The end result in a few months time will be good, but with the complexity and capability of today's infotainment systems they really have to work well and intuitively so as not to be a safety concern. Compare the rigorous laws and punitive fines/penalties for mobile phone use.

I know the MS very well after many years of ownership, but with v11 I have found myself with my eyes off the road for far more than I like, and for less experienced owners I trust this does not lead to unfortunate results.
We are...
I begin to suspect that V11 was designed for landscape mode, the new 2022 Model X and S will have landscape main screens.
1. The MCU hasn't crashed since V11 was installed...
2. With the HVAC controls squeezed on the bottom of a portrait screen I can see how difficult it must be. On the M3 there is enough space to touch the arrow to the right of the temperature display that brings up the front and rear screen heaters. Because the base of the display us higher up it seems to work.
3. I keep the screen in dark mode, it works far better for me.
4. The media player is pants... I only listen to the radio....it is fine. The rest is confusing and using it is dangerous, IMHO.

Conclusion: Tesla should make a roll back to V10 an option for legacy Model S and V cars with portrait screens.

Reactions: Wol747 and thegruf
Status
Not open for further replies.