Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - what’s your verdict?

V11 - what’s your verdict?

• I love it

Votes: 63 14.8%
  • Some good things, some bad things, but overall it’s ok

Votes: 181 42.5%
  • A bit “meh”. I can live with it, but preferred the old UI

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • I hate it

Votes: 75 17.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are...
I begin to suspect that V11 was designed for landscape mode, the new 2022 Model X and S will have landscape main screens.
1. The MCU hasn't crashed since V11 was installed...
2. With the HVAC controls squeezed on the bottom of a portrait screen I can see how difficult it must be. On the M3 there is enough space to touch the arrow to the right of the temperature display that brings up the front and rear screen heaters. Because the base of the display us higher up it seems to work.
3. I keep the screen in dark mode, it works far better for me.
4. The media player is pants... I only listen to the radio....it is fine. The rest is confusing and using it is dangerous, IMHO.

Conclusion: Tesla should make a roll back to V10 an option for legacy Model S and V cars with portrait screens.
They should make roll back to V10 an option for everyone including model 3!

Point 2 - its equally as pants on m3 - it's so tiny you have a slim chance of hitting the exact right spot of the screen while driving!

Anyone else get the feeling that we're the mice in an experimental maze?
And paying for the privilege.
The next time I see someone lauding Tesla as a "software company" I swear I will vomit. Like most buyers I had this odd idea I was purchasing a car, not a video screen that will deliver a peanut if I eventually manage to hit the "correct" button. (I put the word in quotes because yesterday it was probably the "wrong" button).

I have a M3P so don't know how the new UI looks on other cars with portrait orientated screens. I only took delivery of my car at the end of November, so didn't have much time with V10. V11 did not download to my car with the first "holiday" update owing to a glitch in the update procedure for my car, but it did download with the first revision (xxx.30). I have had no UI crashes since the update, but only had to reboot V10 once.

Coming to V11 without ingrained knowledge of V10 and still finding some of V10's control layout and location not to be particularly intuitive, I have to say that I find V11, overall, easier to use and quicker to learn and remember than its predecessor. Locating all of the major driving "switchgear" under the car icon, seems logical to me, for example. It takes no more "button pushes" reach things like the wiper control than it did before, so I see no disadvantage to losing the dedicated wiper icon. Placing the seat heaters with the rest of the HVAC controls, is exactly what a new user would expect and where he or she would look for them when entering the car. Having separate seat heater icons on the home screen in addition to those in the HVAC panel was confusing to me as a new user. I had to Google the odometer function before I discovered the cards in V10; their existence is not at all obvious until you discover them. Placing this and the tyre pressures in the service menu, as in V11, made the information easy to find at the first run through.

In essence, I think that Tesla have tried to make it easier for new users to become familiar with their cars, and to do so more rapidly and, thus, become safer sooner when on the road. If this was their objective, I think they have succeeded.

I do understand why those who have learned the quirks of the old UI over an extended period are upset that they now have to go through the process again though!

Reading many comments on V11 here and in other threads confirms what other people have already said; that we are all different. However, there seem to be quite a few common comments. I think that V11 would be a lot more acceptabe to most if:-
  • The dashcam and sentry buttons were returned to the main screen
  • The odometer was also shown, with a choice as to which trip, while keeping the full set under “Trips”
  • The heated seat buttons were returned to the main icon dock
  • The various media options were combined back into a single icon, which started with the smallest (track only) menu. A double tap to bring up the larger menu i.e. opposite to the current implementation
  • The ‘single pixel’ progress bars for regen and track play time were perhaps 5 or 10 pixels thick
I can live with the tyre pressure display being two taps away, and I certainly enjoy not having to fight rotating cars to get the ”cards” to show! Like many people, I would prefer a bigger (and coloured!) map and less white space, but it is not a stopper. Similarly the position of the blind spot camera is OK, without being great.

Have I missed any obvious concensus points? Are many people keen to have a bolder font for the speed?

• The various media options were combined back into a single icon, which started with the smallest (track only) menu. A double tap to bring up the larger menu i.e. opposite to the current implementation
You can still access all the sources using the player's in-built tab after activating the extended view using the icon to the right of the player controls:

IMG_20211230_160520.jpg

My 2 cents.

There is so much real estate on the Model 3 screen, if it was me I would have added more one tap icons to the screen not take away icons. That to me has been the single, biggest, dumbest thing ever! I thought Tesla was about efficiency. The person on the UI team who did this doesn't drive a Tesla, they probably sit on a computer using a mouse to click through menus.

Give the profile a choice of upgrading to the new UI and an option to roll back to the old UI if it is not to their liking? That would give Tesla valuable information on whether folk like the changes or not.
  • Bring back:
    • the one tap profile name at the top of the screen.
    • the heated seats for both driver and passenger at the bottom of the screen.
    • the WIFI/LTE/Bluetooth on the top of the screen.
    • the dashcam record button.
    • the heated front/rear window option.
    • the old icons were a lot cleaner and clearer looking. The colour icons are rubbish.
  • Or put the above options on the menu allowing the profile to customize the bottom how they feel fit.
  • Give us more space to add more options.
  • Every car option should have voice commands. How can there not be a voice command for the fog lights?
I am looking forward to the next update, but please Tesla doesn't make it worse than what we have right now.

I've been reading about v11 for several weeks in a kind of suspended reality state. My car is in the UK, still locked to .36.5.8 & awaiting the v11 update which I know is ready to install.

Meanwhile I'm in the USA & the only Teslas I have driven over the past six weeks are a v11 Model X with very different display setups and a Model Y that was still on v10 so I have limited experience for posting on here.

However, it sounds like the the things that I configured on the Model 3 screen & use the most have changed dramatically so I'm apprehensive about what I will find. This is how I preferred things to look:
  • Car often defaults to passenger profile whenever my wife is present so I change it quickly (simple touch to rectify using profiles at top of screen)
  • Connect to phone wifi hotspot before using (simple touch to LTE/WiFi at top of screen)
  • Check if car has connected to house WiFi (by unlocking & looking through drivers window from outside).
  • Set auto headllights to 'off' when they inevitably come on before driving on a sunny day (tap menu & then lights off)
    ....I don't understand why the simplest option to control lights now is to either move the LH stalk back or forward as both will flash full beam!
  • Choose music from minimised menu below map. 1 or 2 taps to expand, hit album art area to minimise as I want (always there as my default)
  • Ensure climate settings are as I need them, usually 19.5-21C & the a/c is off with fan to 2 or 3 (1 tap to open, set then close)
  • Driver and passenger seat heaters are adjusted more than cabin temperature so often need to quickly turn down from 3-2-1-off during journey (always visible)
  • Permanent trip card view to see consumption, mileage driven, time taken etc during journey (always visible, obscures nothing else)
  • Easy swipe to see tyre pressures when an occasional orange tyre symbol appears, then an easy swipe back to the trip card (never a problem spinning car image if the correct spot is pressed)
  • If I need to save a clip - hit the icon on the top bar (using horn even set to auto, sometimes doesn't save to the 2Tb SSD card)
  • Most important for me, every time I open a separate view or large card overlayed on the map, touching anywhere on the music bar reverts to my default view rather than fumbling to close via a tiny 'X' etc whilst driving. Is this still possible?
I don't mind changes to wipers as the v10 method was always clunky, the button on the stalk remains useful & I'm probably too old/embarrassed to ever have a need for the light show

I guess time will tell but it sounds like a lot of the most useful functions I like will have changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simonix
I had a go on the auto wipers setting recently, to see if they have improved. Did seem to be nearly there, but still too fast/frequent for me so ended up switching auto off.

*[Note to self - if wipers are on auto, don't touch the brake pedal (or the break peddle, if you have one,) until the door is fully closed. My sleeve still hasn't dried out yet.]

• Got in the car this morning after my (Short) wife had been driving it. We have easy entry on her profile, so it is easier for me been tall to get in. I pressed the brake and got forced into the steering wheel and knees around my ears before I figured out where the profile options had been hidden!
Happened to me too! Just hit either of the electric seat adjustment buttons, and the seat will stop moving, then find your profile on the screen, far easier, and less painful! 😄

Reactions: MrT3
This thread can be a little offputting - it combines comments on the S and the 3 so some of the posts only apply to the poster's car.
On the Model S I found out today that switching the windscreen demister on (once I'd found it - I had to stick the autopilot on in order to safely find the icon - brought up the rear seat picture with the centre seat now red!
Frankly, what might - just - be acceptable on a child's cheap game is laughable on a AU$165,000 car.

I had a go on the auto wipers setting recently, to see if they have improved. Did seem to be nearly there, but still too fast/frequent for me so ended up switching auto off.

*[Note to self - if wipers are on auto, don't touch the brake pedal (or the break peddle, if you have one,) until the door is fully closed. My sleeve still hasn't dried out
Agree. Tested auto wipers yesterday on a mild drizzle (typical East of E weather with occasional downpour on varied road conditions. Wipers perfect on countryside even with mild drizzle, the camera captured the drops very well within a few drops - more of a Rangeroveresque sort of sensitivity rather than German saloons. On motorways it was bit edgy as the wind blew the rain drops everywhere the visual feedback was slightly inconsistent.

I think what is very different from the Rangerovers is, Tesla is very intuitive. Needs more testing and more real world data to become more like a human. Well done Ashok, AI & Autopilot, Director - your Robotics engineering work will be the strength of Tesla just like Sundar Pichai’s Chrome work in Google.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Alistairuk
I trust you're being sarcastic/ironic? Auto wipers have been a work in progress for 6 years and the same AI team are meant to be teaching a car how to drive!
Toyota is been working on Hydrogen fuel cell for the last 26 years with very minimal progress.
Ferrari is trying to develop its turbo engines for the last 9 years still far behind Merc in terms of racing cars!
GM has sold 26 electric cars in Q4 after the 21 billion USD government bail out
it took James Cameroon 11 years to develop the technique to film Avatar

Teaching a car how to drive is a very complex activity. Even if you think autowipers can be fixed using 1 dollar sensor, the vision camera system Tesla uses works as a whole rather than using tried and tested sensors just for wipers and auto headlights. Real world driving data of considerable proportion is needed for software to be developed.

Toyota is been working on Hydrogen fuel cell for the last 26 years with very minimal progress.
Ferrari is trying to develop its turbo engines for the last 9 years still far behind Merc in terms of racing cars!
GM has sold 26 electric cars in Q4 after the 21 billion USD government bail out
it took James Cameroon 11 years to develop the technique to film Avatar

Teaching a car how to drive is a very complex activity. Even if you think autowipers can be fixed using 1 dollar sensor, the vision camera system Tesla uses works as a whole rather than using tried and tested sensors just for wipers and auto headlights. Real world driving data of considerable proportion is needed for software to be developed.

I didn't previously own a car with a perfectly good hydrogen fuel supply and replace it for a new one which I'd been told several times was fixed but simply didn't work correctly
Ferrari reference I frankly don't get. You're talking about the maximums of performance, Ferrari have a functioning turbo car even if there is better in racing circles, or maybe its the aero or the suspension or the drivers..
GM so what? They didn't sell stuff that didn't work, sounds laudable to me
I didn't buy a ticket for Avatar 11 years before the film was released
None of your examples compare

I am fully aware teaching a car to drive is complex, my point is celebrating 6 years of AI development having reached a point where you think, but not 100% sure, it might, or might not, be better than the $1 sensor at wiping the windscreen while many others are pretty clear they think it isn't, and then praising the team just feels very very strange.

Do you honestly think they should be put on a pedestal for taking so long to do something so basic as wipe the windscreen or turn on and off the full beam headlights? If anything it says to me Tesla either can't handle anything but good weather (and I've heard Waymo is similar, this isn't a personal snub at Tesla) and the developers sit in an idealistic bubble in the US.

I didn't previously own a car with a perfectly good hydrogen fuel supply and replace it for a new one which I'd been told several times was fixed but simply didn't work correctly
Ferrari reference I frankly don't get. You're talking about the maximums of performance, Ferrari have a functioning turbo car even if there is better in racing circles, or maybe its the aero or the suspension or the drivers..
GM so what? They didn't sell stuff that didn't work, sounds laudable to me
I didn't buy a ticket for Avatar 11 years before the film was released
None of your examples compare

I am fully aware teaching a car to drive is complex, my point is celebrating 6 years of AI development having reached a point where you think, but not 100% sure, it might, or might not, be better than the $1 sensor at wiping the windscreen while many others are pretty clear they think it isn't, and then praising the team just feels very very strange.

Do you honestly think they should be put on a pedestal for taking so long to do something so basic as wipe the windscreen or turn on and off the full beam headlights? If anything it says to me Tesla either can't handle anything but good weather (and I've heard Waymo is similar, this isn't a personal snub at Tesla) and the developers sit in an idealistic bubble in the US.
Those examples may not be relevant to you but I guess development in automative industry and software takes time and those examples highlight that. Your long sentences and rhetorical question may create a dramatic effect in a forum but it is hard in some industries.

The simple answer is, it is your money and you have many options to choose from if you can’t tolerate the developers sitting in an idealistic bubble! Btw, I am more than happy to explain about the mechanics of how AI/Robotics works in automated cars outside this forum but as your intentions are to make a point rather than to get an answer or understand I am not going to make an attempt.

Last edited:
How can there not be a voice command for the fog lights?
I assume there is some regulatory reason why you can't control lights via Voice Commands, it's clearly recognized just won't perform the action. Imagine if a driver pressed the voice button and a passenger shouted "Headlights Off". Or if some other search for a band name or person to call was misinterpreted.

I guess you could say "light controls" and it could slide up the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.