Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 - what’s your verdict?

V11 - what’s your verdict?

• I love it

Votes: 63 14.8%
  • Some good things, some bad things, but overall it’s ok

Votes: 181 42.5%
  • A bit “meh”. I can live with it, but preferred the old UI

Votes: 107 25.1%
  • I hate it

Votes: 75 17.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
- It runs on Sunshine & Wind power
As do all EVs

- No need to interact with 'people' during ownership or refuelling
As with all EVs

- No Service Schedules or extortionate Dealer Costs
Repair costs are extortionate and other brands servicing is 2 years. I’ll give you half a valid point

- Significantly reduced mechanical liability
As with all EVs

- Long Warranty period
Not as long as others, 50k miles is low compared to unlimited general warranty on other makes, 4 years however is better

- Over the Air Updates & Improvements
Something that they all increasingly do now

- Remote Controls via Smartphone App & Smartwatch
As do most other brands

- Scheduled home charging & low cost
All EVs

- Cold Weather pre-heating & Summer pre-cooling
All EVs

- Bloody fast and 4x4 traction
Many other EVs

- No gears, clutch, handbrake or brake use
All EVs

- Lane Assist autonomy with distance control
Many others EVs and many premium ICE when you spend 45k +

- Decent ride quality, Decent build quality (2021 MIC)
As it should be

- Decent depreciation & retained value
Market for all cars is mad at the moment

- Minimal interior and futuristic experience
Personal taste

- Fun entertainment features and quirky character.
Personal taste

- Great Anti-theft and Security features, vehicle tracking
As with many modern cars, sentry mode aside

- Good range and charging network
I’ll give you that

Most of what you describe is EVs and not Tesla, and a fair chunk is applicable to any car being launched at the moment

I do the same, not because I choose to but because the wipers are so unreliable I find them not fit for purpose. I don’t think it’s too much to expect that a paid for feature of the car should just work as intended, especially when the technology to make it work is cheap and reliable.

That's my point though... the technology to wipe and clean your windscreen is effective and already on your car.

It's a one button immediate operation, and one menu press for any variation speed.

It's no less efficient than any other car.

What you're actually complaining about is the lack of reliable automation. But the key FEATURES are all still there in front of you.

The fact you're upset about having to press a button, is a little bit pathetic really... when you think about it.

Yes automation when it doesn't work is frustrating, but you can turn it off so you now know what to expect.

Exactly the same as Auto-dimming main beams. I turned those off as well to operate them manually.

It isn't really a problem... is it.

Last edited:
As do all EVs

As with all EVs

Repair costs are extortionate and other brands servicing is 2 years. I’ll give you half a valid point

As with all EVs

- Long Warranty period
Not as long as others, 50k miles is low compared to unlimited general warranty on other makes, 4 years however is better

As do most other brands

All EVs

All EVs

Many other EVs

All EVs

Many others EVs and many premium ICE when you spend 45k +

As it should be

Market for all cars is mad at the moment

Personal taste

Personal taste

As with many modern cars, sentry mode aside

I’ll give you that

Most of what you describe is EVs and not Tesla, and a fair chunk is applicable to any car being launched at the moment

I disagree... I've looked at other EV's and there's a lot of small details which are still largely NOT Tesla... so think whatever you want. But the Devil is in the detail... not the broadbrush.

Reactions: Yev000
Without taking this too far off topic the vision based approach for detecting rain is sub-optimal because the primary aim of those cameras is to look through the windscreen, at a near perpendicular angle, and focus ahead.

A traditional rain sensor is obviously optimally designed for the task in hand and uses close proximity infrared light aimed at 45deg to the glass and relies on a change in angle of the reflected/refracted light coming back to a sensor when rain is present. This is a more accurate way to detect the presence of rain.

What we don't know is whether Tesla has put a lot of effort into getting the system as good as they can with what they have available, at which point they should probably give up and move to a traditional approach, or that they just haven't really bothered because they have prioritised other features.
A very general response to this is Tesla s AI team focus on the bottom half of the windshield glass from analysing millions of data related to rain drops. Now they may be wrong or right but this is what they are focusing on as the theory goes like rain drops of considerable intensity and our visual angle focus more on the bottom half of glass. So the camera focuses on the bottom half and the analysis and fine tuning are based on this data. From their side they have considerable amount of data to suggest this is a right hypothesis.

Hypothetically they may be completely wrong and may be the top part of glass is the most important place to focus on. We will never know till we get another car manufacturers comes up with a different project focusing on the top half.

As do all EVs

Well no actually. It may have been you who took issue that home chargers only run above a certain Solar Energy Wattage. So if your Solar Array falls below 1.4kW (as an example) the chargers won't work. So the car won't charge directly from Solar or Wind.

Our Tesla Powerwalls take ALL the Solar Energy, and then the car charges at FULL 7kW of power being drawn directly from the Powerwalls. Regardless if a cloud comes by momentarily and Solar Generation falls below 1.4kW (as an example)

This is a Tesla eco-system type thing. It works, every time.

Last edited:
A downvote from spdpsba is a badge of honour. Personally I never downvote anyone because I respect their right to express an opinion, even if I thoroughly disagree with that opinion. Some people are clearly intolerant of any opinion that doesn’t fit in with their own, and are also completely lacking in social niceties.

This poll still shows that more people “hate” V11 than “love” it. The biggest voting group recognise that there are major issues. The vote clearly shows that the majority of people do not think that V11 is a success, and not just the “vocal minority” who apparently shouldn’t be allowed a voice on this forum.
It is not a downvote, it is a disagree sign and it is healthy in any community or forums to have differing views unless ruled by dictators

Last edited:
As with all EVs

Well that's not true is it?

Most traditional car manufacturers rely on the Extended Warranty spin, Servicing Schedules at dealerships to retain Warranty, encouraging Dealer visits and interaction.

Even public car chargers for non-Tesla vehicles need phone numbers on the stalls to interact with people just to get the things working again.

It's always been the same, except Tesla who I expect I may never need to see again...

Reactions: Yev000 and spdpsba

Yes but I'm talking about Over the Air updates which are automated and on my own driveway... without any inconvenience to myself, even in rural locations thanks to SpaceX & Starlink.

... not over the Wifi updates at a Dealer Building while I'm waiting in their cafe... or having to download my own update on a USB formatted stick to do it myself, and hope it works.

Reactions: Yev000 and spdpsba
Well that's not true is it?

Most traditional car manufacturers rely on the Extended Warranty spin, Servicing Schedules at dealerships to retain Warranty, encouraging Dealer visits and interaction.

Even public car chargers for non-Tesla vehicles need phone numbers on the stalls to interact with people just to get the things working again.

It's always been the same, except Tesla who I expect I may never need to see again...
I haven’t seen one Tesla service man or been to the centre (touchwood) and it is almost 2 years. The only person I interacted was to arrange my car delivery.

In the last 20 years of owning any cars (most of the brands) this is the first time I’ve never had any contacts with the brand or dealer or anyone of anything to do with Tesla. Of course I tweet Elon but that’s it!

• Love
Reactions: PITA
Yes but I'm talking about Over the Air updates which are automated and on my own driveway... without any inconvenience to myself, even in rural locations thanks to SpaceX & Starlink.

... not over the Wifi updates at a Dealer Building while I'm waiting in their cafe... or having to download my own update on a USB formatted stick to do it myself, and hope it works.
I hear what you're saying, but @GeorgeSymonds is right that lots of EVs offer the same features at least to a point.

My ID.3 performed a software update overnight while sat on my driveway using the car's LTE connection a few weeks ago. The update added new features and UI improvements.

Tesla led the way on these things (would VW have ever designed a car to do this had Tesla not demonstrated the value of it? Who knows), but other car makers offer similar experiences now.

Tesla still does most of the things in your list better than other car-makers in my opinion, which is why I'm buying a Tesla and not a different car, but it is not the only option for people for many of these things anymore because the industry is playing catch-up now.

Reactions: DM206433
I hear what you're saying, but @GeorgeSymonds is right that lots of EVs offer the same features at least to a point.

My ID.3 performed a software update overnight while sat on my driveway using the car's LTE connection a few weeks ago. The update added new features and UI improvements.

Tesla led the way on these things (would VW have ever designed a car to do this had Tesla not demonstrated the value of it? Who knows), but other car makers offer similar experiences now.

Tesla still does most of the things in your list better than other car-makers in my opinion, which is why I'm buying a Tesla and not a different car, but it is not the only option for people for many of these things anymore because the industry is playing catch-up now.
A lot of people don't understand the differences and that's fine... Someone has to buy the other EVs.

I categorically do not agree that other makers offer "similar experiences". Maybe in the same way that a Nokia 3310 offers a "similar experience" to an iPhone 11 - if all you are doing is making calls.

Some OS versions will rub people the wrong way, progress can't be made by standing still though. I can see with V11 some of the makings of an app store. They are putting in the groundwork for something bigger....

Reactions: spdpsba and PITA
Significant Benefits to me being

- Long Warranty period
I’d agree with most of what you say, though lots of those features are not unique to Tesla. But also:
Minimal interior is subjective, and I find it too minimalist. I want a decent binnacle display and a HUD. I also want the interior to be covered in huge amounts of real dead animal rather than the cheap and nasty vegan “leather” that looks and feels like no leather I’ve ever seen.
The front seats are not nearly supportive enough for a car of this performance.
Build quality is ok but doesn’t come close to despised German manufacturers
My M3P is not nearly as comfortable and refined as a car in this price range should be. Road noise is intrusive over 30mph and wind noise over 50mph.
Software updates are just as likely to break something as to introduce new features and needs another update to fix it.
I’m not going to mention phantom braking and the crap wipers and auto lights. Whoops, I just did 🤣😂

The M3 is a good but it’s not a great car. There is lots of room for improvement.

Hypothetically they may be completely wrong and may be the top part of glass is the most important place to focus on. We will never know till we get another car manufacturers comes up with a different project focusing on the top half.
I'm not sure the windscreen is that big that there is a fundamental difference in the amount of rain in one part compared to another. Traditional manufactures use the top part of the screen because they hide the sensor behind the rear view mirror, not because they consider it to be the optimise place from an accuracy point of view, so they are compromised. But in reality it doesn't seem to cause a performance issue - those systems work well.

Whether Tesla look at the top, bottom or all of the screen isn't really relevant to the owner - they just want a system that works reliably, which it does not, and if not, controls that are easy to use safely if you need to manually take over (which is debatable).

but it is not the only option for people for many of these things anymore because the industry is playing catch-up now.
I agree with the view Tesla is not the only option.

But the traditional car industry is playing catch-up now is slightly optimistic view. VW, Audi, Silver arrows and beemer are all focusing on creating more brands or money for less investment in electric car tech. Audi will come up with same q4 platform and make a CC, a coupe, a grand coupe, a saloon, a convertible, and all road versions using the same tech and may stick another 50p rain sensor and make it much better! The Beemer will do the same and others will follow. They are really not interested In advancing the tech when comes to electric because it is a structural change in industry. Tesla’s business model is disruptive in nature and the traditional car industries can’t copy that model now.

Tesla could have easily done a model 3, a coupe version 4 door and 2 door, a convertible and probably a slightly raised version of model 3 in the same price bracket (not a Y) but they focus on advancing the electric tech instead of profiting by sticking a 50p sensor.

Now it is up to you whether you prefer this or the other traditional car makers. I think that makes a huge difference to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yev000

We have an ID.3 too and the software update comparison isn't even in the same universe.

ID.3.
- rel 2.3 announced in July
- e-mail with T&Cs for 2.3 received late Sept
- software eventually arrived on Jan 2nd - in two parts
- car took over 4 hours to install it
- new features - virtually nothing!
- previous release (2.1) - installed by dealer and car was off road for almost a month!

Tesla Model 3
- releases between July and Jan - 12
- releases in the time I've had the car - 49 (since Sept 2019)
- average time between releases - 17 days
- average install time 20 mins
- lots and lots of new features

Status
Not open for further replies.