Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v2020.24.6 update killed my X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday night I get a notification on my phone that a software upgrade is available. I start the install from my phone. A few hours later, I realize I never got the completed notification. The app can't seem to connect to my car either. I go to my car and find it's totally dead. Nothing will open it, nothing is responding at all. I call Tesla Roadside and they say it stopped in the middle of maps update and they'll send out a tow truck to get it into a service center. They get it to the service center Saturday morning, but heard nothing from them (no texts, didn't answer phone, didn't return voicemail). Now I'm at the service center (as we are supposed to take a trip today with the car) and hoping that they'll be able to at least look at it to get some type of guess as to when it will be fixed -- but clearly the road trip isn't happening.

Word of advice, don't do updates when you're parking inside a garage or plugged into power. If the update does brick your car, it's much harder to get it towed (the tow company had to "break in" to get to the manual release on the charing cable and then use a robot to get the car out of our garage).

Sorry for the delayed update. They did swap out the 12V battery. Not sure what else they did, but it was working again after about 30-45 minutes of the tech starting on it. Anyways, I'll still do future updates outside, parked on the street, as towing out of my home's garage is not something I wish to repeat.

Reactions: DavidB
Is your X a 2016, Good chance your mcu is worn out. Have you seen any of the symptoms listed in this post? Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen) ?

The 12V battery change may have acted as "full reboot" getting the mcu to power up a little longer.
I have a 2013 S, with over 150k miles, and the MCU is still working fine. I know the MCU (as with all computers) has a limited shelf life, but I'm not going to replace it until symptoms of failure start cropping up.

• Funny
Reactions: gaswalla
Word of advice, don't do updates when you're parking inside a garage or plugged into power. If the update does brick your car, it's much harder to get it towed (the tow company had to "break in" to get to the manual release on the charing cable and then use a robot to get the car out of our garage).
Inside the garage with the charger plugged in is the only place I do updates. Most practical.

Thinking that my car is within warranty, and that getting the car to SC and fix it is Tesla's problem, not mine. If it was out of warranty, it would be insurance company's problem, not mine. :)

With OP’s incident, not upgrading in the garage may be something I will consider too, but plugin charger while upgrading is not necessary because:
1. during the upgrade, the car will stop charging anyway.
2. if the car is dead similar to OP’s incident, you can not unplug the charger, and it would be an extra effort finding ways to unplug it.

I guess for the future upgrades, I will ensure I have 25-30 minutes of spare time ensuring upgrade will be successful and plug the charger back in thereafter to reduce the chance of 12V battery acting up.

I guess for the future upgrades, I will ensure I have 25-30 minutes of spare time ensuring upgrade will be successful and plug the charger back in thereafter to reduce the chance of 12V battery acting up.

afaictl this is the first report of this happening that I’ve seen. Seems like a knee jerk reaction to start making contingencies for a single edge case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Janus
Exact same situation and scenario happened to me about a week after my HW3 upgrade. Had to have it towed in, and 12v battery had to be replaced. Seems odd this is happening mid update and bricking, essentially frying the 12v (if that’s possible).

Inside the garage with the charger plugged in is the only place I do updates. Most practical.

Thinking that my car is within warranty, and that getting the car to SC and fix it is Tesla's problem, not mine. If it was out of warranty, it would be insurance company's problem, not mine. :)

I also always update inside my garage. That ensures the update comes down via the strong wifi signal I have in the garage, and is not dependent on AT&T or other network provider's network tower locations staying up.

I also always update inside my garage. That ensures the update comes down via the strong wifi signal I have in the garage, and is not dependent on AT&T or other network provider's network tower locations staying up.
once you see the yellow clock "update is ready to install" the update is fully downloaded and does not need any more communications