Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V2G (Vehicle to Grid) Poll

If an 'emergency only' V2G was available, would you install it?

• Yes

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Yes for max $1000

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Yes for max $2000

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • It depends

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO, the biggest problem with V2G at scale is with adequately compensating the car owners for the wear&tear of increased cycles on the battery. For most EV batteries, they aren't designed to be cycled as often as such a system for "everyday" operations would need. And if the designs are changed to better support that service, we'll end up with EVs that are less capable as cars qua cars. If it were strictly a contingency service in the event of large plant trips that might work, so long as owners were paid for "being in ready reserve". But from what little I have seen of such distributed systems, it's usually pretty hard for the aggregators to get paid the true value of the service offered because a significant portion of the benefits are often unpriced externalities.

Reactions: skitown
I have 34 PV panels on our roof. I do not have a home battery as our utility (FPL) provides 1:1 credits for extra power generated : power taken from the grid. I would thoroughly like to have the ability for our Model 3 to power our house in the event of a power blackout - the only time I need a battery. I don't want the expense, maintenance, nor environmental impact of a home battery for just blackouts. Would be yet-another-selling-point for Tesla EVs. PLEASE!