Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://electrek.co/2019/03/06/tesla-supercharger-v3-kw-capacity-efficiency/

The company did note that they will “increase Model S and X charging speeds via software updates in the coming months”, but they didn’t specify to what capacity.

That said, they did say that they going to update current V2 infrastructure to a new peak charge rate of 145kW for single-vehicle charging (when not sharing the next Supercharger stall).

They wrote about the availability of the new Supercharger capacity:

“Beginning today, we’re opening the first public beta site in the Bay Area, which will incrementally be made available to owners in Tesla’s Early Access Program. We’re launching V3 Supercharging for Model 3, our highest volume vehicle, and we’ll continue to expand access as we review and assess the results of millions of charging events. We will increase Model S and X charging speeds via software updates in the coming months. V3 Supercharging will roll out to the wider fleet in an over the air firmware update to all owners in Q2 as more V3 Superchargers come online. Our first non-beta V3 Supercharger site will break ground next month, with North American sites ramping in Q2 and Q3 before coming to Europe and Asia-Pacific in Q4.”

Exactly. I read the final quote of BBG523's post as meaning that the V3 superchargers are only for the Model 3, and that a Model X or S cannot plug into them at all. V2 superchargers will get a rate increase, but that is a separate deal. Even farther in the future, Model X or S owners might be able to use the V3 superchargers, but don't hold your breath. They have to think about it.

Hey Gang, So the V3s can be used with the S & X, it just won't allow to charge at a 250kW rate. Most likely if and when we get an upgrade we may see 145kW. The V2s will also bump up to 145kW non shared stall.

So While the M3s have the higher 250kW rates we'll hopefully see a bump for the S & X regardless of using the V2 or V3 stalls.

Reactions: jboy210
So Model X and S owners can't use the new chargers, right? Does that mean that we will have to wait until an old charger is available in order to charge, and that some locations might not have any old chargers available at all to charge my Model X?

Singular. There's only one V3 supercharger currently in existence, and that's the one near their HQ. They haven't even started building the second one yet. In other words, this is much ado about almost nothing. :)

AFAIK, the S and X currently cap their charging at 120 kW rate, so the only advantage over a V2 supercharger is that you aren't sharing wattage with the sister stall next to you. It won't go faster than that until a future firmware update.

It will be interesting to see the actual maximum speed of the S and X after they enable it. Obviously, it will be at least 145 kW, but it could be considerably higher. The V3 Superchargers produce 250 kW at 350V, which is about 714 amps. Assuming it can produce the same amperage at the older packs' higher voltage (400V), the Model S and Model X could ostensibly charge at up to 285kW, assuming the cooling is adequate and the wires from the charge port to the pack can handle that much current. I doubt it will be faster than that. Reality could be anywhere in between. :)

I believe I used a V3 charger this am at Rancho Mirage, CA. I was very confused by the numbering as it appeared my cable came from a receptacle with no number below it. The I saw a single row of charges and it was clear the "hoses" we plugged into the wrong holder on the back to back SCers. So, being the anal person that I am, I put all the charging cables in the right spot.

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    313.3 KB · Views: 101
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    353.5 KB · Views: 53
I believe I used a V3 charger this am at Rancho Mirage, CA. I was very confused by the numbering as it appeared my cable came from a receptacle with no number below it. The I saw a single row of charges and it was clear the "hoses" we plugged into the wrong holder on the back to back SCers. So, being the anal person that I am, I put all the charging cables in the right spot.
Rancho Mirage is not a v3 Supercharger. It's actually more the other direction of lower power. It is an urban style Supercharger, as you can see from that body style they have. Only the urban ones look like that. Those have a maximum power of 72kW.
Supercharger - Rancho Mirage CA (LIVE 18 Sep 2019, with SOLAR)

• Informative
Reactions: beths11
Hi Beths11,

Thank you for returning the cables to their rightful positions...

What Max Kw of MPH charge rate did you get?

Thank You,

Shawn
I'll try and pay more attention next time, but my car is a 2016 X so I couldn't use higher V3 power if it was available. I understand from another post that these are "urban" chargers with even less power that a standard charger...never knew there was such a thing..It did charge me from 55% to 90% in about the same amount of time as any other charger.

I'll try and pay more attention next time, but my car is a 2016 X so I couldn't use higher V3 power if it was available. I understand from another post that these are "urban" chargers with even less power that a standard charger...never knew there was such a thing..It did charge me from 55% to 90% in about the same amount of time as any other charger.

Depending on the model, that may or may not be true. According to a Reddit post, the 90D can pull 160 kW at V3 stations, versus a max of 145 at V2 even if you're alone on a pair, or 120 kW if you aren't.

• Informative
There are pros and cons with the urban ones. They have a lower cap on the upper end, but they do not do the heavily uneven splitting like the normal ones, which frustrate people sometimes, where they are only getting 30-40kW because they are the secondary car. Urban ones are always an even half and half split, so you can get that solid 72kW, even if you're sharing.

• Informative
There are pros and cons with the urban ones. They have a lower cap on the upper end, but they do not do the heavily uneven splitting like the normal ones, which frustrate people sometimes, where they are only getting 30-40kW because they are the secondary car. Urban ones are always an even half and half split, so you can get that solid 72kW, even if you're sharing.

In the best case, your peak charge rate with the urban supercharges is about 2x, but in the worst case, it's .5x. On the average, it's probably a wash. A much better solution for the poor charge rate problem would be if the computer queried Tesla's servers and gave you a list of preferred slots based on the SoC of nearby cars.

Of course, that only works if the supercharger doesn't stay 100% full like the Bay Area locations do. The only way to really fix that problem is to upgrade them to V3 (and also double the number of superchargers...).