Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger CCS2 only outside USA... End of Tesla's custom Type 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This makes me wonder if Tesla will not display those new V3 sites in your Model S or X if you don't have the CCS adapter and supporting hardware in the car. The Model 3 did not display Supercharger sites that didn't have CCS connectors, while those still existed.

This makes me wonder if Tesla will not display those new V3 sites in your Model S or X if you don't have the CCS adapter and supporting hardware in the car. The Model 3 did not display Supercharger sites that didn't have CCS connectors, while those still existed.

That makes sense - Tesla has the smarts to do this in their nav system. Could be tricky if you have had the CCS2 upgrade but haven't got an adaptor for whatever reason.

Now the questions are:
  • Are the V2 stalls (of which we haven't seen a photo) at new mixed V2/V3 sites (in Europe and other CCS2 plug regions) going back to the Type 2 only plug, or are they still dual cable?
  • Are all V3 sites in Europe (and other CCS2 plug regions) going to have some V2 stalls for this purpose?
  • Is the CCS2 upgrade going to eventually become subsidised or free? It's in Tesla's interest to get as many older S/X models CCS2-ready, so that they can simplify the rollout of new superchargers. (Is the CCS2 adaptor included with new S/Xs, which already have the required internal hardware?)

How would the car know if you have a CCS adapter with you or not?

I don't doubt Tesla smarts but presence of an adapter is probably beyond its capabilities.

Not necessarily... Model S/X's sold since May 2019 are already built to support the CCS adaptor, no internal upgrade needed. Do these vehicles include the adaptor at point of sale or do you need to buy it separately?
My understanding is that if the car is upgraded, it includes the CCS adapter. If you bought a car that already has the upgraded hardware inside the car, you would still need to buy the CCS adapter. To me, it would be reasonable to hide the V3-only sites from cars that don't have the capability to talk to the CCS stations.

Actually, that begs the question - does a V3 Supercharger with a cooled CCS connector have to speak the CCS PLC protocol? If it is only intended to communicate with Tesla vehicles, it could still speak Supercharger CANbus protocol to the vehicle.

The Tesla vehicle has to speak CCS protocol to communicate with non-Tesla CCS chargers so there is no point using the Supercharger protocol on the CCS connection. In some parts of the world, Superchargers must support non-Tesla vehicles which is the reason for the CCS connection.

The Tesla vehicle has to speak CCS protocol to communicate with non-Tesla CCS chargers so there is no point using the Supercharger protocol on the CCS connection. In some parts of the world, Superchargers must support non-Tesla vehicles which is the reason for the CCS connection.
Just because Tesla added CCS doesn't mean they currently support not-Tesla cars at Superchargers.

Last edited: