Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger power systems architecture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
Moderator note: The first 22 posts in this thread were moved from a thread discussing the Tilamook, OR Supercharger.

I believe each v3 cabinet can draw up to 430A. So about ~300A of buffer between max continuous draw and breaker trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Each V3 cabinet is typically connected to a 600 amp breaker (430 amp max load, as you said). This site has 3 cabinets, so max draw will be around 1,290 amps, which is just a tick over 80% of 1,600.

Nice. There a lot confusion out there about how much power a v3 station can output simultaneously. Many non-engineering types claim that it can output 250kW to all stalls simultaneously, when in reality it’s more like 90kW ( [430A * 480V * 1.732] / 4 )

Nice. There a lot confusion out there about how much power a v3 station can output simultaneously. Many non-engineering types claim that it can output 250kW to all stalls simultaneously, when in reality it’s more like 90kW ( [430A * 480V * 1.732] / 4 )
Yes, but the likelihood of 4 similarly charge depleted cars plugging in at the same time with similarly warmed batteries is about 0%.

V3 chargers have a shared DC bus, so it's actually extremely likely this would happen.
All on one cabinet? 4 stalls immediately adjacent? All at the same time? Really? That is extremely likely? Hmm, I guess I have been extremely unlucky to have never ever seen this if it is so common.

If the bus is shared as you suggest means every single component in the cabinet on the incoming side has to be capable of 1mw of power. That’s 1200A at 480V. Derate 80% for charging and you need 1500A input capability per cabinet (and what are they doing with a 1600A breaker for 12 stalls? Shouldn’t it be 4500A?). 🤔 Which size cable is that?

1662237967733.png

2000 kcmil cable is 1.4-1.6 INCHES in diameter. 3 phase power requires 4 wires. 6 inch conduit can only hold 3 2000 kcmil cables. Maybe the ground is small enough to also pass through.

500 kcmil is $30/ft, 1000 kcmil is $90/ft, couldn’t find pricing on 2000 kcmil but at least $180/ft, maybe as much as $270/ft x 3 wires so $800/ft x # cabinets. At $100k valuation for 8 stalls, that’s 125 ft of wire max and that leaves no money to pay workers or for anything else needed on the electrical side. WAIT! 2000 kcmil is only 750A so you’d need 2 runs for every cabinet. $1600/ft and only 62ft max cable per 8 stall site.

All of the full power sharing sounds great until you factor reality. Just like 4680. Just because someone said the DC bus is shared doesn’t mean it works that each cabinet can output 250kw x 4 stalls. Just because Tesla says it’s a 1mw cabinet, doesn’t mean it actually outputs that. The cabinet is limited by code and design based on internal wiring as to how much it can accept and output. And the on site transformer. As stated above, that is 430A or 360kw (which lines up nicely with the 430 max ampacity at 90C for 500 kcmil cable). This is more than the combined output of 300kw of 2 V2 cabinets but not much more. The sharing is better, you aren’t immediately cut to 75kw when someone plugs in next to you but it is still not capable of delivering 4x 250kw from the same cabinet.

If you would like to prove this wrong, please document (with video) 4 cars plugging in to 4 stalls from the same cabinet on an entirely empty V3 site (it’ll allow for full power sharing as you suggest) and getting over 360kw combined output at any time. You need 1290A of 480V 3 phase power to output 1mw. So your chosen V3 site better be at least 12 stalls or there won’t be enough power.

From Wikipedia:
“A 1 MW charge box supplies 4 stalls at up to 250 kW each,[38][39] and can have a 575 kW battery storage. However the grid input is limited to around 350 kW.”

350kw in and 1000kw out? Now THAT would be amazing synergy right there.

@pdx_m3s I wasn’t implying it was. Just pointing out what people like pb thinks is likely isn’t possible whether it happens or not and if it was so likely, why wouldn’t Tesla have designed the system to handle that? Right, because it doesn’t happen. 360kw across 4 stalls is plenty since 4 cars never arrive to the same cabinet at once.

From Wikipedia:
“A 1 MW charge box supplies 4 stalls at up to 250 kW each,[38][39] and can have a 575 kW battery storage. However the grid input is limited to around 350 kW.”

The 575 kW isn't just battery storage, it is the shared DC bus. So the input is 350kW from AC and 575kW from the shared DC bus. (Which can be other V3 cabinets and/or battery storage.)

So the maximum a cabinet can put out to all 4 stalls at the same time is ~230kW. (Assuming sufficient utility/transformer capacity and that other V3 cabinets aren't in use.)

360kw across 4 stalls is plenty since 4 cars never arrive to the same cabinet at once.
No, it isn't enough. As that would mean you can't even have 2 cars plug in to the same cabinet at once and get close to the 250kW.

If you would like to prove this wrong, please document (with video) 4 cars plugging in to 4 stalls from the same cabinet on an entirely empty V3 site
Maybe you should go back and watch some of the videos from the V3 launch where Tesla timed to have everyone plug in at the same time with precondition vehicles.

All on one cabinet? 4 stalls immediately adjacent? All at the same time? Really? That is extremely likely? Hmm, I guess I have been extremely unlucky to have never ever seen this if it is so common.

If the bus is shared as you suggest means every single component in the cabinet on the incoming side has to be capable of 1mw of power. That’s 1200A at 480V. Derate 80% for charging and you need 1500A input capability per cabinet (and what are they doing with a 1600A breaker for 12 stalls? Shouldn’t it be 4500A?). 🤔 Which size cable is that?

View attachment 848669

2000 kcmil cable is 1.4-1.6 INCHES in diameter. 3 phase power requires 4 wires. 6 inch conduit can only hold 3 2000 kcmil cables. Maybe the ground is small enough to also pass through.

500 kcmil is $30/ft, 1000 kcmil is $90/ft, couldn’t find pricing on 2000 kcmil but at least $180/ft, maybe as much as $270/ft x 3 wires so $800/ft x # cabinets. At $100k valuation for 8 stalls, that’s 125 ft of wire max and that leaves no money to pay workers or for anything else needed on the electrical side. WAIT! 2000 kcmil is only 750A so you’d need 2 runs for every cabinet. $1600/ft and only 62ft max cable per 8 stall site.

All of the full power sharing sounds great until you factor reality. Just like 4680. Just because someone said the DC bus is shared doesn’t mean it works that each cabinet can output 250kw x 4 stalls. Just because Tesla says it’s a 1mw cabinet, doesn’t mean it actually outputs that. The cabinet is limited by code and design based on internal wiring as to how much it can accept and output. And the on site transformer. As stated above, that is 430A or 360kw (which lines up nicely with the 430 max ampacity at 90C for 500 kcmil cable). This is more than the combined output of 300kw of 2 V2 cabinets but not much more. The sharing is better, you aren’t immediately cut to 75kw when someone plugs in next to you but it is still not capable of delivering 4x 250kw from the same cabinet.

If you would like to prove this wrong, please document (with video) 4 cars plugging in to 4 stalls from the same cabinet on an entirely empty V3 site (it’ll allow for full power sharing as you suggest) and getting over 360kw combined output at any time. You need 1290A of 480V 3 phase power to output 1mw. So your chosen V3 site better be at least 12 stalls or there won’t be enough power.

From Wikipedia:

@pdx_m3s I wasn’t implying it was. Just pointing out what people like pb thinks is likely isn’t possible whether it happens or not and if it was so likely, why wouldn’t Tesla have designed the system to handle that? Right, because it doesn’t happen. 360kw across 4 stalls is plenty since 4 cars never arrive to the same cabinet at once.
The DC bus is very high voltage (~900V), so reduces the need for bulky wiring. (As shown in one of the subsequent posts here).

The 575 kW isn't just battery storage, it is the shared DC bus. So the input is 350kW from AC and 575kW from the shared DC bus. (Which can be other V3 cabinets and/or battery storage.)

So the maximum a cabinet can put out to all 4 stalls at the same time is ~230kW. (Assuming sufficient utility/transformer capacity and that other V3 cabinets aren't in use.)

No, it isn't enough. As that would mean you can't even have 2 cars plug in to the same cabinet at once and get close to the 250kW.

Maybe you should go back and watch some of the videos from the V3 launch where Tesla timed to have everyone plug in at the same time with precondition vehicles.
I think you exaggerate how often cars plug in at the same time and the exact same state of charge to the same cabinet. Do you know for a fact that everyone who arrives at a SC arrives at less than 20% with a preconditioned battery? No, they don't. Stop saying this scenario is highly likely.

So, watch videos from a staged production where everything is perfect? From the same company that sold everyone on the idea that 4680 is right now 5x better than 2170? Right. I will take a real world presentation from actual tesla owners, not a dog and pony show.

I don't care to read all that, but here is an example of a 2 cabinet site for you to examine and correct any misunderstandings you may have about how superchargers work.
Thank you for providing that. Honest question, does the NEC ampacity rating change when voltages are higher or DC vs AC? My understanding is cables are rated to a certain voltage (1000V in this case( and within that voltage there is a set max ampacity. For the cable in the drawing you provided, 350 kcmil RWU90 AL, allowable ampacity in open air is 445, in conduit is 280 (not including any deratings for continuous use). The drawings show 480V at 465A AC and 350-631A DC at 0-500V DC. It doesn't seem like this cable can be used for this setup without some throttling somewhere in the system. Can anyone here explain this? I can't run 6ga romex (55A) for a 60A charging circuit, how can 280A cable be used for 350-631A service? The notes say 2 runs to each post so is this split so a total of 560A available? Get us closer but still seems on the low end.

Also, it says the cabinet is rated at 250kw, not 1mw. Somewhat confusing.

The DC bus is very high voltage (~900V), so reduces the need for bulky wiring. (As shown in one of the subsequent posts here).
Yes, but not really. It is only 2x the voltage of the AC side at similar amps so same wire size. Amps determine wire size. More voltage means more KW on the same wire size but that becomes a difference at a much higher scale when it relates to wire size.

I think you exaggerate how often cars plug in at the same time and the exact same state of charge to the same cabinet. Do you know for a fact that everyone who arrives at a SC arrives at less than 20% with a preconditioned battery? No, they don't. Stop saying this scenario is highly likely.
It really depends on the location of the supercharger. Chargers in urban areas probably have a lot of opportunity charging at high SoC, so may only be drawing 35-70kW. Once you get on the highway though, lots of people don't charge past 70% unless they have to and the NAV optimizes very similarly.
A model 3 LR starts to dip below 100kW at around 60% SoC and a SR+ at 50%, unplugging (70%) at 85kw and 53kW respectively. It's not hard to imagine a busy 8 stall station with a line up having 2 stalls open up on one cabinet and a pair or LR3s plugging in at 30% SoC; boom 360kW right there.
Thank you for providing that. Honest question, does the NEC ampacity rating change when voltages are higher or DC vs AC? My understanding is cables are rated to a certain voltage (1000V in this case( and within that voltage there is a set max ampacity. For the cable in the drawing you provided, 350 kcmil RWU90 AL, allowable ampacity in open air is 445, in conduit is 280 (not including any deratings for continuous use). The drawings show 480V at 465A AC and 350-631A DC at 0-500V DC. It doesn't seem like this cable can be used for this setup without some throttling somewhere in the system. Can anyone here explain this? I can't run 6ga romex (55A) for a 60A charging circuit, how can 280A cable be used for 350-631A service? The notes say 2 runs to each post so is this split so a total of 560A available? Get us closer but still seems on the low end.
On the shared DC bus you can see the 400A fuse designation, as this is only a 2 cabinet site. The runs to the posts are 631A peak, 350A continuous, so with 2 runs (560A continuous) that's fine, as the pack voltage rises quickly and charge taper takes over shortly thereafter.
On the A/C side, it's cropped out but 2x 500kcmil per phase (technically good to 465kW).

You also have to remember that all the equipment here is rated for 100% continuous load, 90C wire terminations, etc. It is a different world from residential and light commercial.
Also, it says the cabinet is rated at 250kw, not 1mw. Somewhat confusing.

Yes, but not really. It is only 2x the voltage of the AC side at similar amps so same wire size. Amps determine wire size. More voltage means more KW on the same wire size but that becomes a difference at a much higher scale when it relates to wire size.
The cabinet is rated for 350kW on the A/C side, but as mentioned can pull an additional 575kW off the shared DC bus (just shy of 1MW total). Each charge post has it's own DC/DC converter (every vehicle pack is going to be at a different voltage at any given moment), so technically if you connected 3 cabinets together, but only 1 had stalls, every vehicle could get 250kW simultaneously. I actually wonder if the long term plan is to add additional cabinets that have no stalls and just feed 4 other cabinets for additional capacity on the shared DC bus.

I actually wonder if the long term plan is to add additional cabinets that have no stalls and just feed 4 other cabinets for additional capacity on the shared DC bus.
Possible but don’t really see Tesla doing this. I think they’ll focus on quantity of SC stalls rather than adding additional power to the existing stalls.

It will be interesting to see if/how they ultimately handle higher voltage vehicle architectures with the existing SC network. Technically, the cabinets can output almost 1,000V DC, but not sure what has to change between the cabinet and stall to make that happen.

How can I be exaggerating? I have never said how often it will happen. Only that it can happen and that it will be much more likely as more fast charging EVs hit the road.

For example the EV6, and Ionic5, take 30 minutes to go from 10-80% when charging on a 150kW stall. (It does go from ~130kW to ~90kW after 15 minutes so there is some leftover capacity there.) Then there is the F-150 Lightning that stays above 100kW for almost an hour. (I'm not finding a good charging curve for it to know how long it stays up around 150kW.) The Rivian R1T stays above 150kW for over 20 minutes and then over 100kW for the next 20 minutes. (But that was on a 350kW stall, on a 150kW stall it would likely have stayed around 150kW for much longer.)

The point is that there are more and more fast charging EVs getting released, so the "problem" would get worse quickly.

How can I be exaggerating? I have never said how often it will happen. Only that it can happen and that it will be much more likely as more fast charging EVs hit the road.

For example the EV6, and Ionic5, take 30 minutes to go from 10-80% when charging on a 150kW stall. (It does go from ~130kW to ~90kW after 15 minutes so there is some leftover capacity there.) Then there is the F-150 Lightning that stays above 100kW for almost an hour. (I'm not finding a good charging curve for it to know how long it stays up around 150kW.) The Rivian R1T stays above 150kW for over 20 minutes and then over 100kW for the next 20 minutes. (But that was on a 350kW stall, on a 150kW stall it would likely have stayed around 150kW for much longer.)

The point is that there are more and more fast charging EVs getting released, so the "problem" would get worse quickly.
Onky if all those brands use Superchargers which they can’t now so your statement doesn’t hold water. And you said extremely likely. That implies it happens almost all the time. Like, go to a fairly busy supercharger and it happens once a day or every other day. That would be considered extremely likely. Once a month, that would be unlikely.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and MP3Mike
Onky if all those brands use Superchargers which they can’t now so your statement doesn’t hold water.

This whole discussion is about Tesla getting, and using, NEVI funds to make a NEVI compliant site. Which if they do those brands could use those Supercharger site(s).

And you said extremely likely. That implies it happens almost all the time. Like, go to a fairly busy supercharger and it happens once a day or every other day. That would be considered extremely likely. Once a month, that would be unlikely.

I searched and I never used the word extremely in this thread... So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

And you said extremely likely. That implies it happens almost all the time. Like, go to a fairly busy supercharger and it happens once a day or every other day. That would be considered extremely likely. Once a month, that would be unlikely.
You're arguing with multiple people; I said that right after you stated there was a 0% chance of it ever happening. The very existence of the shared DC bus is proof that Tesla engineers expected it to happen and you never experiencing slow charging at a v3 station probably means it's working.

I’ve been a fly on the wall for this conversation and have learned a lot! Thanks for sharing items about the supercharger design. My main takeaways are that:
  • The total power output increase through charger generations has been a factor of 1.4 (50 to 90kw). The bus sharing through a site instead of between paired units has enabled a factor of 2.5 increase in charging rate (100kw to 250 kw) in most current conditions. This is really cool, as I typically only get 50-60kw in v2 sites.
  • In the future with faster charging cars, or cars that can take longer sustained high kw loads, there may be cases where the deployed v3 infrastructure will load share with an apparent reduced charging rate.