Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger power systems architecture

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V2 sites are 150kW (some are 120kW) per cabinet shared between 2 stalls and no shared DC bus between cabinets. V3 sites are 350kW per cabinet shared among 4 stalls, but additional power can be supplied on the DC bus from other cabinets (if available).

Total power for an 8 stall site has only gone up from 600kW to 700kW, but it's just the increased peak power and shared DC bus that make it so much better.

This whole discussion is about Tesla getting, and using, NEVI funds to make a NEVI compliant site. Which if they do those brands could use those Supercharger site(s).

I searched and I never used the word extremely in this thread... So I'm not sure what you are talking about.
Since when did NEVI come into the conversation? Must have missed that. Not part of my discussion at all.

And I apologize for mistaking two people using the same arguments.

Reactions: BobbyTables
I don't care to read all that, but here is an example of a 2 cabinet site for you to examine and correct any misunderstandings you may have about how superchargers work.
A clarification on v3 site bus sharing - just because the v3 supercharger cabinets are capable of having a shared DC bus doesn't mean Tesla implements at every site. While it's possible original 8 stall v3 sites (2 supercharger cabinets - either traditional or PSU) may have the shared DC bus, I believe Tesla may have shifted to using the shared DC bus 12+ stall sites (and perhaps expected high utilization 8 stall sites). This comment may just apply to PSU installs - I'm not sure. The DC bus obviously adds cost, and in typical fashion Tesla probably determined that the cost of the DC bus at smaller sites didn't pay off for the rare occasions when a bunch of low SoC cars all pull in at once.

Also, for those that may have seen the PSU installation guide that briefly appeared on social media before the account that posted it was shutdown, that document disclosed that the maximum number of PSU's that can be configured for bus sharing together is three due to conduit sizes within the PSU. Sites with more than three PSU's would have a separate bus for each set of three PSU's. It's not clear if this up-to-3 v3 cabinet DC bus limit applies to a traditional (non-PSU) build as they would presumably be able to implement wiring differently (larger or separate conduits back to the "star-center" configured v3 supercharger cabinet.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
A clarification on v3 site bus sharing - just because the v3 supercharger cabinets are capable of having a shared DC bus doesn't mean Tesla implements at every site. While it's possible original 8 stall v3 sites (2 supercharger cabinets - either traditional or PSU) may have the shared DC bus, I believe Tesla may have shifted to using the shared DC bus 12+ stall sites (and perhaps expected high utilization 8 stall sites).
What makes you think that they aren't always setting up the DC bus? Have you seen a site that doesn't have it setup?

I really think they would always set it up, even for 8 stall sites. Otherwise, if you get two empty cars plugging in to one cabinet they would only get ~180kW/each instead of ~250kW/each. The power sharing is the magic that makes the V3 sites work and be affordable.

This comment may just apply to PSU installs - I'm not sure.
The PSU installs specifically make the DC bus very easy to setup, and it probably doesn't cost that much, really just the cost of the wire and the labor to install it, all of the hardware is already there.

Power sharing will be essential for all of their NEVI compliant installations. (Unless they start using V4 cabinets that have a way higher power capability. But I think that is unlikely as I think the V3 cabinet capability is sized to what works in terms of circuit, and breaker, sizes.)

Reactions: Tdreamer
What makes you think that they aren't always setting up the DC bus? Have you seen a site that doesn't have it setup?

I really think they would always set it up, even for 8 stall sites. Otherwise, if you get two empty cars plugging in to one cabinet they would only get ~180kW/each instead of ~250kW/each. The power sharing is the magic that makes the V3 sites work and be affordable.

The PSU installs specifically make the DC bus very easy to setup, and it probably doesn't cost that much, really just the cost of the wire and the labor to install it, all of the hardware is already there.

Power sharing will be essential for all of their NEVI compliant installations. (Unless they start using V4 cabinets that have a way higher power capability. But I think that is unlikely as I think the V3 cabinet capability is sized to what works in terms of circuit, and breaker, sizes.)
No arguments on any of your valid points - I would also think it would make sense to always have the DC bus to reduce the chances of a poor customer charging experience at a busy site. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Tesla must have more than enough data to predict typical site utilization and cost/benefit tipping point for DC bus sharing.

Do you know of any sites that don't have the DC bus setup? If so, which ones?
Sorry, don't know specifics for sites. Info was from earlier this year and I presume recently built 2-PSU v3 sites would possibly fit what I heard. My assumption is this was a change from early 8 stall PSU sites - but I'll be honest, I don't know. Two possible ways to verify might be to ask a contractor doing a two-PSU build and see if they'd be willing to share that info). Or, maybe organize a test with four cars arriving at a very low SoC with pre-conditioned packs and all trying to charge off one PSU? With v4 upgrades and net-new builds starting up, this also could have changed, as with anything Tesla does.

I think the v3 cabinet produces the 900V DC after rectification as in integral part of how a v3 cabinet works (575kW on the DC bus is almost the entire output of 2 cabinets). Maybe early in the design phase they were leaving the option open for higher voltage packs?

In any event, even at prefab sites where the cabinets are spread out, you're only looking at about $1000 US worth of cable to wire up the DC bus for a 12 stall site. Maybe $2000 final cost to Tesla? I doubt they would skimp $2k on a project with total costs running into the hundreds of thousands.

Reactions: MP3Mike