Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger Revealed 250kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of pictures of the actual charger box for the V3 Chargers (not just the pedestal). I'd like to see if there are any differences in cabinet/exterior hardware that is recognizable.
While it's from the Reddit leak, which was known to have other inaccuracies, there's a report of the cabinets being physically larger, and using internals based off the powerpack technology, rather than using a stack of car chargers.

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing and Blup85
Elon just tweeted.

Elon Musk on Twitter

Latest software improves Tesla Supercharger times by up to 25% for all Tesla S/X/3 worldwide, incl original 2012 Model S. Not splitting power across 2 Supercharger stalls helps all cars up to 50%. Aland Bru on Twitter
Zero. Zero is "up to" 25%. Replace "up to" with "no more than", not "about". I hate being kind of negative, but I've learned how to translate "Tesla speak" so as not to be disappointed.

It drops down to 150kWh at around 50%
53110882_10156806414820767_4263604439782260736_o.jpg

I predict a lot of “my car doesn’t charge at 250kw” complaint threads.

No I think you got it backwards. Now Model 3 owners will be complaining because their cars charge too fast to get food from a restaurant or to go grocery shopping. "I got charged $25 in idle fees because my car finished charging in 30 minutes!"

Credit to Electrek for orginal article and graphics...
Pet peeve of mine but next to nothing on Electrek is original or deserving of credit.

Their entire business model is aggregating and monetizing original content from this site, Reddit, and twitter. Commercial reposting of other peoples’ content and insights.

ACTUAL credit to @privater on Twitter.

privater on Twitter

No I think you got it backwards. Now Model 3 owners will be complaining because their cars charge too fast to get food from a restaurant or to go grocery shopping. "I got charged $25 in idle fees because my car finished charging in 30 minutes!"
I was wondering about that myself. Now I just make sure that charging is set to 100% to ensure I finish before the charge does. A really fast charge that finishes before I do means that I'll have to get up in the middle of the meal to move the car.

wow nice catch :p

Pet peeve of mine but next to nothing on Electrek is original or deserving of credit.

Their entire business model is aggregating and monetizing original content from this site, Reddit, and twitter. Commercial reposting of other peoples’ content and insights.

ACTUAL credit to @privater on Twitter.

privater on Twitter

Still, if one is enterprising enough to start a business I can't knock them for making it a website about electric vehicles, even if they don't give credit where credit is due by revealing the source of their information. Once it is posted in the internet it is free for all.

These are all nice fancy graphs but are they real world? The best rate I ever get at 60% is 58kw.
I just finished a 8000 mile road trip and sat at my fair of chargers

2013 85kwh

Should I be getting more?
What you get depends on how much charge is left in the battery, the ambient temperature, the temperature of the battery, and if there is another car plugged into the A or B port of your ports number. Max output is only for very low SOC.

These are all nice fancy graphs but are they real world? The best rate I ever get at 60% is 58kw.
I just finished a 8000 mile road trip and sat at my fair of chargers

2013 85kwh

Should I be getting more?

Those V3 graphs only apply for the model 3.

58kW is normal for an 85 battery that is 60% full. What rate did it charge at 10-15% SOC? It should still be >100 kW

Screen Shot 2019-03-08 at 6.27.52 AM.png

58kW is normal for an 85 battery that is 60% full. What rate did it charge at 10-15% SOC? It should still be >100 kW

View attachment 384168
Awesome chart! I see this and it makes me think, by looking at the outliars that theoretically a model S 85 (and probably others) could accept a higher 145 kW charge and taper off a bit slower than they did before.

I just wish the wording was clear about getting a 25% speed upgrade and not 25% time reduction.

Reactions: JohnnyG
Awesome chart! I see this and it makes me think, by looking at the outliars that theoretically a model S 85 (and probably others) could accept a higher 145 kW charge and taper off a bit slower than they did before.

I just wish the wording was clear about getting a 25% speed upgrade and not 25% time reduction.
Maybe a slight increase in charge rate when sharing with another car, but the 85's can't take the full output of a 135kW station as is. The taper won't be effected; it's driven by how much the battery can accept, not how much the station can deliver.

Reactions: jerry33

I wish I could claim credit for it, and sometimes we assume everyone knows the awesome sources to which these came from, but so many newbies around here: credit where credit is due: here is where I got it

ABRP Blog

View attachment 384168

Ya that graph is what I get. I have gotten as high as 120kw for a brief second but usually settles at around 114kw for a few minutes before it starts to taper.
Glad I get the normal speeds but also sad at the same time seeing those new speeds lol

Reactions: JohnnyG
Having done so much supercharging and driving, I noticed that having range mode on in the winter makes the cooling system scream at the supercharger like it does in the summer, even in 10degrees f, so range mode definitely increases battery pack temp during driving by a significant amount. I turned range mode off and it didn't do it anymore.
This was reproducible too.

Having done so much supercharging and driving, I noticed that having range mode on in the winter makes the cooling system scream at the supercharger like it does in the summer, even in 10degrees f, so range mode definitely increases battery pack temp during driving by a significant amount. I turned range mode off and it didn't do it anymore.
This was reproducible too.
No doubt. Range mode is really only useful for winter in town when there is a lot of stop and start driving. The rest of the time it does little unless you have an AWD when it can put the large motor to sleep on the highway.