Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger Revealed 250kW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What you get depends on how much charge is left in the battery, the ambient temperature, the temperature of the battery, and if there is another car plugged into the A or B port of your ports number. Max output is only for very low SOC.

... The taper won't be effected; it's driven by how much the battery can accept, not how much the station can deliver.
One more thing to keep in mind... Those that have been around a while will remember that: Tesla explicitly stated the stations could be throttled, depending on local requirements. This can be caused by many different circumstances (demand, infrastructure limitations, weather, etc), and could last just a moment, or days.

I honestly don't know how often it occurs, nor how wide spread, but it is a statement of limitation from Tesla about the stations.

This is ridiculous that a car that is half the cost gets way better charging. They just killed their luxury line. Even though I don’t like the 3 nearly as much as the S, I am thinking about downgrading cars to get better long range travel.
Model S has better tech than original Roadster.
Model 3 has better tech than Model S.
New Roadster and next Model S will have better tech again.

Reactions: JohnnyG and brkaus
I'm a 2017 75 owner as well.
But here's my current understanding, which is somewhat guessing atm. V2 has a Amp limit of ~250A per stall/pair (or 300A max soon). With the 75kWh packs we're limited to 350V, which gives a max power of 90kW (300V * 250A). With V3, looks like they can put ~500A into the car at the same voltage, so ideally we'd potentially see a max of 150 kW charging rate. That's assuming the car can even handle that much amperage, and the voltage of the newer car batteries are still ~400V.

I'm guessing newer S / X have possibly been designed for this amperage but super unknown for older models.
What’s the amperage limit on various Model S & X constructions? How upgradable would that be? Seems like a primary limit now, but battery chemistry matters too.

Looks like they have kept the existing Tesla plug in NA. I wonder if they can push 145kW in the EU plug too. Does anyone have information on that?

When I first saw the Model 3 on SC v3, I immediately thought: “I must trade my S 100D for it”. Then I realized that it will be a long time until v3 sites are brought up on the trans-european route that I take 3-4 times a year.
Do you prefer small cars, or long range? Model Y will come in a few years.

I was wondering about that myself. Now I just make sure that charging is set to 100% to ensure I finish before the charge does. A really fast charge that finishes before I do means that I'll have to get up in the middle of the meal to move the car.
They’re intentionally setting max at 80% at some or all V3. So, prewarmed battery, higher amps, and cut out slowest portion of charge curve: you’ll need to invest in interior seat, floor, and crevice covers to catch all the food you’ll be dropping by eating in-car. Or, you can order your meal from the restaurant of your choice while sitting in the car charging, then when it’s finished charging, drive to the restaurant, sit down, pick up your prepared food, sit down, and take your time. Mobile Internet age thing, even if it means calling them by telephone.

Do you prefer small cars, or long range? Model Y will come in a few years.

Or sooner?

Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 5.28.23 AM.png

Everyone here is so excited about V3 SC but it really is going to have a minimal impact for most people. Tesla staid they will not upgrade the current infrastructure from V2 to V3. The V3 SC will be for new installations. I95 on the east coast is basically all built out. I10 from FL to CA is built out. I40 from the east coast to CA is built out but for a small gap between Memphis TN and Little Rock AK. I70 is built out. West coast is pretty much built out. So for the foreseeable future most people will be visiting V2 SC and will not see the benefit from the V3 SC.

Everyone here is so excited about V3 SC but it really is going to have a minimal impact for most people. Tesla staid they will not upgrade the current infrastructure from V2 to V3. The V3 SC will be for new installations. I95 on the east coast is basically all built out. I10 from FL to CA is built out. I40 from the east coast to CA is built out but for a small gap between Memphis TN and Little Rock AK. I70 is built out. West coast is pretty much built out. So for the foreseeable future most people will be visiting V2 SC and will not see the benefit from the V3 SC.

That means I-94 through North Dakota is the place to be! Haven't been able to travel that yet on x-country drives. Or maybe they'll finish I-40 between OKC and Little Rock. Still missing that leg. Don't forget Canada. There are still a lot of holes in the network.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Pet peeve of mine but next to nothing on Electrek is original or deserving of credit.

Their entire business model is aggregating and monetizing original content from this site, Reddit, and twitter. Commercial reposting of other peoples’ content and insights. ACTUAL credit to @privater on Twitter.

privater on Twitter

Funny thing... is Privater on Twitter the same person as JohnnyG on TMC? :cool:

Last edited:
Having done so much supercharging and driving, I noticed that having range mode on in the winter makes the cooling system scream at the supercharger like it does in the summer, even in 10degrees f, so range mode definitely increases battery pack temp during driving by a significant amount. I turned range mode off and it didn't do it anymore.
This was reproducible too.
No doubt. Range mode is really only useful for winter in town when there is a lot of stop and start driving. The rest of the time it does little unless you have an AWD when it can put the large motor to sleep on the highway.

So is range mode effective as battery preheater to increase the charging rate?

Is it possible V3 will be set up to allow the semi to charge? Four connectors plugged into 1 semi would get the job done quickly! Our passenger vehicles would have to squeeze in between the trucks. Might be a smart idea - kill two birds with one charge installation.
I don’t think tesla would build a supercharger location that will charge both the cars and the semi. Semi trucks need a lot of room to maneuver.