Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharger Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Concerning that Tesla are selling more cars in the UK, at a faster rate than ever before, but are not matching the development of the charging network...

Exactly this. I'm seeing the effect of this already, and I have the Model 3 LR because of the sheer amount of miles I do. In 19 days I'd racked up 3,400 miles on the car. Supercharging, home and destination charging are a big part of my Tesla driving experience, no matter the time of day. I drive all over the country to see customers, and I drive all over the country to see family - it's just how it is.

I hadn't thought much about it until reading some of the replies, but there are quite a few times when an S or an X were in a stall with no one in them for my wait time, my charge time and my departure time. Are they just sat hogging the stalls or are they that much slower to charge? If this is the case, then overstay fees probably need pushing to higher levels to incentivise moving to free up the stall and stop grossly entitled behaviour.

Reactions: ringi
I hadn't thought much about it until reading some of the replies, but there are quite a few times when an S or an X were in a stall with no one in them for my wait time, my charge time and my departure time. Are they just sat hogging the stalls or are they that much slower to charge? If this is the case, then overstay fees probably need pushing to higher levels to incentivise moving to free up the stall and stop grossly entitled behaviour.

If you have free supercharging does than mean you also get no overstay fees?

or are they that much slower to charge?

Many are that much slower to charge. Often bigger battery, less efficient (so need to take on more charge for same distance), less modern battery technology and older cells. I have spoken to a number of Model S drivers who were saying how slow their car was to charge. I know everything is controlled by various factors, but they talk about peak charge rates significantly less than what I typically get and even less than I maintain for majority of charge.

If you have free supercharging does than mean you also get no overstay fees?

Idle charges still apply. But only if plugged in... I have seen someone return to car and disconnect, but there was only 2 of us in an 8 stall bay so a non issue. But it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't always the case. Not sure if 'unlocking charge port' has same effect.

Other companies (Ionity, Polar, Instavolt, engenie) are ramping up their deployment of >100kW charging infrastructure too, which will be some relief for the superchargers. Some of which are also faster than Superchargers.

Tesla could help by letting other suppliers add their chargers to the in-car map
The problem there is that of the other brands that support rapid charging very few charge faster than 50kw at the moment so i can see a lot of rapid chargers being used by vehicles that cannot fully utilise them and thus they will be there for a long time. Also no overstay fees at the third party chargers so that does not help.

Idle charges still apply. But only if plugged in... I have seen someone return to car and disconnect, but there was only 2 of us in an 8 stall bay so a non issue. But it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't always the case. Not sure if 'unlocking charge port' has same effect.

I doubt it and I really hope that's not the case. It would be a huge flaw in the idle fees process if you could just unlock remotely and avoid them!

Polar, at least, have a different price* for their 50kW v. 150kW chargers as a disincentive to those who can't take the full speed, and also charge a £10/hour fee after 90 minutes.

*Currently I believe all their 150kW chargers are free-vend for an introductory period, and they're seeing the issue you describe - 50kW taxis hogging the 150kW chargers. They're stopping the free vend this month BP Chargemaster on Twitter - prices FAQs - Polar Plus

Some chat on SpeakEV ref UK V3 at Park Royal

D5ADFEB5-6180-4E2A-855D-2702BD7643FF.jpeg

Ironically, Model 3's don't seem to be the hogs. Disproportionally its S and X that seems to take up majority of the stalls for longer periods - probably a consequence of slower charging and free supercharging. So whilst large influx of Model 3's and probable Model Y's, I suspect their impact on supercharger network will be less than expected especially as free supercharging referrals run out so they become more of a necessity rather than free option.

Interesting given that (I'd have thought; I don't know what proportion are referrals) most Model 3s in the UK are on free supercharging themselves up til now, given they're still in their first 6 months.

Interesting given that (I'd have thought; I don't know what proportion are referrals) most Model 3s in the UK are on free supercharging themselves up til now, given they're still in their first 6 months.

1000 miles doesn't last long and the 5000 miles was for a very limited time frame (and many missed out on them due to the day 1 issues). So I don't think that a large proportion of Model 3's will be supercharging as a matter of routine as it was not such a headline attraction as free supercharging for life on some S and X models. It wouldn't surprise me if 'free fuel for life' was the no. 1 attraction for some to buy into Tesla.

1000 miles doesn't last long and the 5000 miles was for a very limited time frame (and many missed out on them due to the day 1 issues). So I don't think that a large proportion of Model 3's will be supercharging as a matter of routine as it was not such a headline attraction as free supercharging for life on some S and X models. It wouldn't surprise me if 'free fuel for life' was the no. 1 attraction for some to buy into Tesla.

Fair enough. I forgot it changed to 1,000 miles. It will be interesting to see how things develop as more and more of the fleet move onto paid use of superchargers anyway. I'll shortly be one of those.

Something else they could consider is charging more for the kWhs over say 90%, to incentivise people away from blocking a charger to trickle that in. Although that wouldn't affect those charging for free.

Other companies (Ionity, Polar, Instavolt, engenie) are ramping up their deployment of >100kW charging infrastructure too, which will be some relief for the superchargers.

I'm doubtful ... what with other EV brands appearing (well ... I thought that VW would be, but they've clearly shot themselves in both feet, so smoke-and-mirrors only from VW for another 6 months at least ... maybe 12 ... until they actually get the software issues resolved ... can't understand why Lying and Cheating wasn't the answer this time too ...

So my view is that a) other EV brands will be clogging up 3rd party chargers; b) chargers, or cars, will be slower-to-charge so dwell-time will be longer than at Supercharger and c) 3rd party charger companies have nothing else to offset cost against, so they have to make money, so only rolling out a few stalls at each site - which will just exacerbate the problem.

My perception (no data to back it up) is that majority of S/X owners opted for smaller 75kW hour battery, so higher proportion of their charging stops will be into 80% - 90% territory (personally I value my time ... but even so, with free supercharging, I don't bother to rush back to the car, but I certainly don't dwell "because it is free", my total charging bill for 30K miles a year is < £800, Supercharging is 10% of that, if I doubled my Supercharging that would save me a paltry £80 a year ... and I'd be sat waiting at Superchargers for an extra 8 hours a year ...)

Whereas I was quite surprised when people were talking here about what Model-3 they had ordered that a high proportion seemed to be LR (again no data to back that up, but there is a Google DOC / thread here with Model-3 order summary ...)

I'm glad I switched to LR Raven Model-S when I did, given the increase in Tesla numbers on the road. My Supercharging has dropped from 2-3 days a month (given that real-world Motorway 75MPH range has gone from 240 miles to a 300-and-some) to just once in the two months I've had the car - and the 20% increase in efficiency is a pro rata saving on my annual charging bill too ... all the man-maths justification I could possibly need :)

Reactions: Roy W.
Where exactly is the new v3 in park royal ..is it dukes ed? My Tesla app still does not show this as a supercharger ...hence currently no live availability of how many free/ in use...anyone else get the park royal supercharger showing on their app?

V3 should also mean les reduced rates when two cars are charging at the same time.

Model S/Xs hogging SCs is all down to 'free' Supercharging. Our 75D X is lowest range and slowest charging car Tesla sold, yet when ever we use SC we are often the last to arrive and first to leave.

What most S/Xs owners forget is every kWh of 'free' DC charging they put into the car is adding to the internal DC counter which ultimately will slow SCs rates to 70-80KW even on a 100D pack.

If your leasing the car than hitting the DC charging counter doesn't matter, but our car is a keeper for another 6 years at least. I rather minimise DC charging speed drop versus getting some free electricity.

Reactions: CMc1 and ringi