Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharging Profiles for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, lot's to unpack here @darth_vad3r.
[...]
Ok, thanks for staying with me here.
[...]
I hope this shows why I'm personally only interested in the first graph: kW vs %SoC. It will lead to the intermediate and final graphs that will yield many conclusions that are worthy of other discussions and threads. For now, I'm most interested in more people showing us what happens at Fremont!

LOL, you 'saw' my amount of unpacking required, and 'raised' me at least 3X, if not all-in :D ... the first time I scrolled through quickly and saw the "thanks for staying with me here" I was like ... aww man, I'm gonna have to come back and read this all later :D

... I just did. +1000.

Of course the range vs time is most useful for most non-geeks, and that was my first 'easy' next step I was trying to get at going from SOC-scale to time-scale. The fact that different cars (brands) have vastly different efficiencies is going to unfortunately be lost on most consumers. Many will just assume "has X kWh more than that car with lower Y kWh, this car is better!" or "this car has CCS, therefore I can charge at 350kW!" which is better than a Tesla at 150kW ... even though their car with CCS might max out at 70kW due to amperage or voltage limitations of their onboard systems.

I fear even if we make awesome charts for non-geeks it will still go over many people's heads.

Once any 'real' competition enters the market I would hope Tesla starts actual marketing to educate people on what makes their technology stand apart from the rest. I don't expect this to happen for at least 2-3 years, if not 5 or more. Sad to see how slow some of the other manufacturers are at raising their EV game.

I understand the desire to fill in the ideal chart, I was not sure if these other forms were in mind once you've filled it out satisfactorily or not. If they were, great, you were thinking ahead of me and I just didn't see that end goal in sight. If not, great that you've produced them here so that when they are more final it will be easier to repeat them again, and I can feel like I've contributed something to the direction we're headed in :D

Thanks again for all the reading material! :D

Reactions: Lobstahz
Thanks for posting! I did a similar session early this morning. I started at about 45% but it was only charging at 115kW, whereas I was hoping to see 145+. I stopped it at 56% and 103kW, right in line with yours. This was after driving a 21C/70F "cold"-soaked battery for 30min to the SC using ORBW. Clearly that wasn't long enough to warm the battery. The Supercharger stall was also cold/unused so I know it wasn't the limiting factor.

P.S. Video proof not necessary just helpful.

I had read a forum post recently, maybe here, where the writer discussed ORBW. From memory he deduced that the battery ORBW heating used around 7KW of power and only ran for about 15 min. He deviated from his route to the supercharger and the car turned off the battery heating and resumed when he got close to the SC again. Elon has twitted that the ORBW would not effect range much but if it ran for a full hour at 7KW+ it could use more than 20 miles of range. It is possible the 7KW+ figure was the entire power the motor was drawing (ie.. power to create additional heat and normal power used to propel the car down the road)? I am curious how long the heating is applied and at what power levels before arriving at the SC. I am sure both parameters might vary depending on many variables. Probably should put this in it own thread because it is getting a little off topic?

Regards, Ron

I just listened to the Ride The Lightning podcast #203 (@ryanjm) and Ryan mentioned near the end that the V3 A/B stalls at Fremont were paired last weekend when he went to test them and got low power. He heard this from the store manager who talked to someone "in the back". I don't know if they are still paired but this is something to consider if you're going to Fremont and want to see 250kW.

Also, it's interesting to know that they have an architecture that allows them to be paired. Then again, being able to share power among two stalls is appropriate for a robust design.

Interesting info. Not sure about pairing, but based on the Moose Jaw buildout, which I’m convinced is V3, it looks like they’re undersizing the transformer for the entire site. It looks to me like it’s going to be 6 pedestals, 2 machines and a 1000 kVA transformer (at 600 volts!). I think they’re leaving room to expand to 8 stalls in the future. A full site would be limited by the transformer’s output. Perhaps Fremont is similar? Need more pics of Fremont’s equipment.

Thanks for posting! I did a similar session early this morning. I started at about 45% but it was only charging at 115kW, whereas I was hoping to see 145+. I stopped it at 56% and 103kW, right in line with yours. This was after driving a 21C/70F "cold"-soaked battery for 30min to the SC using ORBW. Clearly that wasn't long enough to warm the battery. The Supercharger stall was also cold/unused so I know it wasn't the limiting factor.

P.S. Video proof not necessary just helpful.

I took a brief glance at the "ideal" charging curve vs mines. Although the difference is fairly large in the beginning, my curve does eventually converge with the ideal ones, give or take a few kW. Before that would never happen. In practice this will probably solve/cover the majority of charging issues and scenarios.

It would be interesting to drive hard for 2 hrs (or whatever 50% battery can cover) with battery warm up just to see if you can hit 140+kW starting from a high SOC. But even if you can't you're probably only missing out on a few minutes.

I understand the desire to fill in the ideal chart, I was not sure if these other forms were in mind once you've filled it out satisfactorily or not. If they were, great, you were thinking ahead of me and I just didn't see that end goal in sight. If not, great that you've produced them here so that when they are more final it will be easier to repeat them again, and I can feel like I've contributed something to the direction we're headed in :D
Hate to burst your bubble, but I've been playing with some of these charts for years. I am still trying to figure out something that communicates the concepts better than range over time.

Here's an example of a chart that if you stare at it long enough it might be insightful but it's definitely non-intuitive and is for "the advanced user". Charging time is represented as area under each curve, so this shows the limits of increasing charging power and the "off-the-chart" exponential time used to charge to high SoC. As an example, the area between the V2 and V3 lines is ~1 sec high and ~60 units long. That means from 0% SoC the V3 will save about 60 seconds over the V2 session, under ideal conditions of course.

20190625 3SR+ chrg time.png

More on topic, the Model 3 profiles I used in this first chart are below. I'll cross-post my comments from another thread for continuity. This includes recent data from @LittleBlue and I updated the gray dotted prediction lines based @Dag's recent V3 Supercharging session.

Two thoughts:
  1. It obviously shows a later taper, as expected with a 19.20.x charging profile. It's parallel to the predicted lines but offset by a similar amount seen with some of the LR cars. The predictions represent an ideal charging session and it's likely the battery was not warm enough to support the full predicted rate. Still, the fact that the lines are parallel is encouraging.
  2. The SR/+ cars will not see much advantage, other than the "unshared" stalls, while using a V3 Supercharger. Conditions will have to be near-ideal to see any benefit over a V2 stall: low SoC and fully-warmed battery. The upside is that the V2 Superchargers, which are currently and for the foreseeable future much more pervasive, should be able to charge at near 150kW (about 2.6C for the SR/+). When they roll this out, in some future firmware revision, the effective charging times for SR/+ will be a little lower. My predictions show an ideal 20-80% charge session will take:
    • V2 (19.20.x): 23.1 min
    • V2: 21.3 min (8% faster)
    • V3: 20.9 min (10% faster)
20190625b 3SR+ chrg.png

Reactions: Big Earl
I had read a forum post recently, maybe here, where the writer discussed ORBW. From memory he deduced that the battery ORBW heating used around 7KW of power and only ran for about 15 min. He deviated from his route to the supercharger and the car turned off the battery heating and resumed when he got close to the SC again. Elon has twitted that the ORBW would not effect range much but if it ran for a full hour at 7KW+ it could use more than 20 miles of range. It is possible the 7KW+ figure was the entire power the motor was drawing (ie.. power to create additional heat and normal power used to propel the car down the road)? I am curious how long the heating is applied and at what power levels before arriving at the SC. I am sure both parameters might vary depending on many variables. Probably should put this in it own thread because it is getting a little off topic?

Regards, Ron
Here's a good reddit thread from Wugz on ORBW. Bottomline, ORBW adds 4kW when in Drive, 7kW in Park above other power consumers. Understanding ORBW is important to achieving these ideal charging curves in this thread.

Although the difference is fairly large in the beginning, my curve does eventually converge with the ideal ones, give or take a few kW. Before that would never happen.
I agree. Charging at higher SoC is much more consistent with these latest profiles. Even if the battery is not warm, it's pretty close to the ideal curve.
It would be interesting to drive hard for 2 hrs (or whatever 50% battery can cover) with battery warm up just to see if you can hit 140+kW starting from a high SOC. But even if you can't you're probably only missing out on a few minutes.
This post includes a session from Wugz that has a warm battery start at 40% and hit about 144kW (red line). You're right though that the difference in charging time wouldn't be that much.

Hate to burst your bubble, but I've been playing with some of these charts for years. I am still trying to figure out something that communicates the concepts better than range over time.

Here's an example of a chart that if you stare at it long enough it might be insightful but it's definitely non-intuitive and is for "the advanced user". Charging time is represented as area under each curve, so this shows the limits of increasing charging power and the "off-the-chart" exponential time used to charge to high SoC. As an example, the area between the V2 and V3 lines is ~1 sec high and ~60 units long. That means from 0% SoC the V3 will save about 60 seconds over the V2 session, under ideal conditions of course.

View attachment 423378

More on topic, the Model 3 profiles I used in this first chart are below. I'll cross-post my comments from another thread for continuity. This includes recent data from @LittleBlue and I updated the gray dotted prediction lines based @Dag's recent V3 Supercharging session.

Two thoughts:
  1. It obviously shows a later taper, as expected with a 19.20.x charging profile. It's parallel to the predicted lines but offset by a similar amount seen with some of the LR cars. The predictions represent an ideal charging session and it's likely the battery was not warm enough to support the full predicted rate. Still, the fact that the lines are parallel is encouraging.
  2. The SR/+ cars will not see much advantage, other than the "unshared" stalls, while using a V3 Supercharger. Conditions will have to be near-ideal to see any benefit over a V2 stall: low SoC and fully-warmed battery. The upside is that the V2 Superchargers, which are currently and for the foreseeable future much more pervasive, should be able to charge at near 150kW (about 2.6C for the SR/+). When they roll this out, in some future firmware revision, the effective charging times for SR/+ will be a little lower. My predictions show an ideal 20-80% charge session will take:
    • V2 (19.20.x): 23.1 min
    • V2: 21.3 min (8% faster)
    • V3: 20.9 min (10% faster)
View attachment 423379

Can you post the same incremental seconds graph for an AWD version? I’m curious what it shows.

I am still trying to figure out something that communicates the concepts better than range over time.

How about instead of “seconds/mile” vs “EPA miles”, “minutes (or seconds) to add 50 miles” vs “EPA miles”.

This takes away some of the need for the chart-reader to do integration in their head.

Different charts could be made for +10, +25, +50, +100 miles and the user could pick which chart best matches their desired use case.

Traversing one chart to estimate your total time would be much easier anyways this way vs the s/mi version.

Say I’m at 30mi and know I want to add 150mi, if I’m looking at the “+50mi” chart, I look at the y-value at 30 and it tells me how long it takes me to get to 80, then I read the time at 80 and 130 and add them up to see my total charge time.

Another idea: y = miles added in 10 minutes, x = battery state in EPA miles

I look up where I’m at to start on x-axis, read off y-value to see where I’ll be in 10 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times for 20 or 30 minute charge (or as before provide a series of charts in 10, 15, 20, 25, 30-minute charge times).

This beautifully illustrates Tesla's efficiency advantage over the Audi. The e-tron may charge at 150 kW, but it consumes twice as much power to go down the road. The result being that it isn't any faster than a Model 3 on an urban supercharger.
Yes, I too was surprised at how similar the effective charging rates were.

Can you post the same incremental seconds graph for an AWD version? I’m curious what it shows.

Here ya go!
20190626 3LR chrg time.png

How about instead of “seconds/mile” vs “EPA miles”, “minutes (or seconds) to add 50 miles” vs “EPA miles”.

This takes away some of the need for the chart-reader to do integration in their head.

Different charts could be made for +10, +25, +50, +100 miles and the user could pick which chart best matches their desired use case.

Traversing one chart to estimate your total time would be much easier anyways this way vs the s/mi version.

Say I’m at 30mi and know I want to add 150mi, if I’m looking at the “+50mi” chart, I look at the y-value at 30 and it tells me how long it takes me to get to 80, then I read the time at 80 and 130 and add them up to see my total charge time.

Another idea: y = miles added in 10 minutes, x = battery state in EPA miles

I look up where I’m at to start on x-axis, read off y-value to see where I’ll be in 10 minutes. Repeat 2-3 times for 20 or 30 minute charge (or as before provide a series of charts in 10, 15, 20, 25, 30-minute charge times).
I had thought of some charts like this as well, then realized how hard they would be to create. The continuous lines in the previous chart make it easy to generate from my current time-stepped model. To create the charts you're suggesting requires a time-stepped solution for each point on the curve. I'm not explaining this very well but it basically makes it a lot harder to create. In the end, I wasn't convinced it would lead to an easily interpretable chart so didn't pursue it further.

Back on topic, here's an updated graph with three more 350kW, 500A CCS sessions from Europe. FloDUS even charged through the "60% dip". I'd say this ideal charging profile is pretty well characterized at this point.

It's worth reiterating that European Model 3 LR owners have the fastest charging cars now and until Tesla sells a 500A CCS Type 1 adapter in North America or V3 is broadly rolled out.

If you're unfamiliar, this profile is clearly amperage limited. In this case the stall design is limited to 500A. The Constant Current (CC) portion of the charging profile is obvious below 40% SoC. The stall is providing 500A and the battery is charging and hence the voltage is increasing over time. As the charger increases voltage it's seen as higher power until the Constant Voltage (CV) taper begins at 40%. The charger maintains 390-400V as the amperage decreases towards 100% SoC. These units are rated at 350kW because they have the ability to charge 800V batteries at 500A. Tesla Superchargers charge at 250kW by providing more amps at lower voltages: ~650A at ~390V

20190626 3LR CCS chrg.png

Cschepelmann: Ladekurve 350kW IONITY Model 3 [Version 2019.20.1] • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde
Gunther Wiehl: Ladekurve 350kW IONITY Model 3 [Version 2019.20.1] • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde
FloDUS: Ladekurve 350kW IONITY Model 3 [Version 2019.20.1] • TFF Forum - Tesla Fahrer & Freunde

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Ok, lot's to unpack here @darth_vad3r. The charge profiles are not a direct function of time. For our purposes here, they are primarily a function of voltage, amperage, battery temperature and Supercharger temperature. The battery temperature is a function of internal resistance, initial temperature, cooling system performance and time. In addition, the Supercharger temperature is a function a bunch of similar parameters including starting temperature, cooling system performance and time.

But to best capture the charging profile I use battery level (%), more accurately called percent indicated state of charge, and power (kW). These are rough surrogates for the voltage and amperage parameters needed to define the charging profile. We don't have any quantitative temperature data but look to ambient temperatures and ORBW use to gauge battery and SC temps. As expected, the V2 charge rates are heavily dependent on these temperatures.

But "time" is critical to interpreting charging performance. The primary two metrics that users care about are range and time. How far can they drive given a number of minutes of charging. Power, energy, temperature are just geek details.

To date, I've collected 30-40 charging sessions from various cars to calibrate my charging models. Integrating the charging power to get energy vs time would be arduous for all these sessions. My interest is in determining a reference profile, aka ideal profile, for a particular car/configuration to be able to compare that to other cars/configurations. It's creating and using a common yardstick that is valuable for these comparisons, not comparing particular charge sessions with random performance. The ABRP data shows how much variability there is to Tesla charging. My goal is to get away from that randomness by focusing on the ideal performance of the different cars.

So I have created ideal charging profiles and, as you suggested, integrated the power to get energy over time and plotted them all different ways. The ones that are most useful I've attached below. For comparison's sake, I'll use a Model 3 LR and an e-tron, since it's getting a fair amount of attention lately. One important note about the Model 3 profiles--these are a work in progress, hence this and a previous thread trying to collect and understand real-world data.

Here are the charging profiles shown similarly to previous graphs in this thread: kW vs %SoC.
View attachment 421828

Here they are with kW vs time. This is noteworthy because the area under each curve is equal to the usable energy of the battery. However, this graph over-emphasizes the lower power portion of each profile and makes details at high power harder to discern. An important point for the "250kW" charging Model 3 is visible in this chart: 250kW is only seen for 4 minutes...and that's when starting at 0%.
View attachment 421829

So now if we integrate power over time we can see the cumulative energy gain over the duration of a charge session from 0% to 100%. As seen on the previous graphs, the e-tron battery charges similarly to the the Model 3 on a 150kW V2 Supercharger. The dashed blue and green lines are similar for the first 2/3rd of the charge session.
View attachment 421830

Ok, thanks for staying with me here. This is where it gets relevant to people like my wife, who don't give a lick about kW's or kWh's. The normal driver needs to know range vs time. But before we get there, we need to convert the energy above into a vehicle specific EPA range. Instead of a Model 3 LR battery, I'm making reference to Model 3 LR AWD/P EPA data below. This first graph has charge rate in terms of mi/hr as shown on the charging screen. Here the vehicle range is the area under each curve. The area under all three green lines is the same; as is the area under both blue lines.
View attachment 421831

Finally, we get to the most useful graph: range vs time. Specifically EPA combined range gained over time starting at 0% SoC and ending at 100%. This chart makes it apparent the e-tron on a 160kW charger effectively charges like a 3 LRD/P on an Urban Supercharger. It also highlights the difference in available range.

Given a starting range, someone can trace over to the time and see how much additional time is needed to reach a desired rated range. For example, someone with a Model 3 showing 100mi remaining and who needs 150mi more can see that the charge session would take about 20 minutes on a V3 Supercharger, under optimal conditions. That's calculated by subtracting the 7.5 minutes shown at 100mi from 27 minutes at 250mi. Similarly, it's also 20 minutes on a V2 Supercharger and 31.5 minutes on an Urban Supercharger. The e-tron takes...well, it doesn't go 250 mi. o_O
View attachment 421832

So again I'll emphasize the Model 3 curves are only representative and need to be calibrated with more data from V3 and V2 charging sessions using the latest firmware. Also, these curves depict, by intent, the rates under optimal conditions. Cold batteries and warm chargers will reduce the charge rates. I hope this shows why I'm personally only interested in the first graph: kW vs %SoC. It will lead to the intermediate and final graphs that will yield many conclusions that are worthy of other discussions and threads. For now, I'm most interested in more people showing us what happens at Fremont!

Truly amazing that a Model 3 can charge twice as fast as an e-tron on a per mile basis. That's the graph Tesla should advertise to blow away Audi. I wonder what the charge profile looks like on a long range Model X or Model S in comparison to the e-Tron. Consumers get time, not KWh or battery percents as there's a layer of calculation between the true goal - how many miles am I getting for waiting this long.

Have you done a similar comparison of time to miles for the Bolt, Leaf, and Kona?

Truly amazing that a Model 3 can charge twice as fast as an e-tron on a per mile basis. That's the graph Tesla should advertise to blow away Audi. I wonder what the charge profile looks like on a long range Model X or Model S in comparison to the e-Tron. Consumers get time, not KWh or battery percents as there's a layer of calculation between the true goal - how many miles am I getting for waiting this long.

Have you done a similar comparison of time to miles for the Bolt, Leaf, and Kona?
I have charging models for a bunch of cars and could make similar charts. The Leaf is the exception as I'd need to start from scratch. I've never considered it a compelling long-distance vehicle, being limited by CHAdeMO, but should probably just create a model for it.

As a reference, the minimum incremental times for the Bolt EV and Niro are: 17 and 14 sec/mi respectively.

This kind of discussion really deserves another thread, especially when comparing cars, as it will quickly diverge into many other subtopics. I've been waiting for the SR/+ cars to demonstrate their "full" V2 capability near 150kW. The current SR/+ profiles are capped at ~100kW and I believe that's an intermediate solution. Fundamentally, I want to see empirical evidence to refine and validate my predicted charging profiles before starting that kind of discussion.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I have charging models for a bunch of cars and could make similar charts. The Leaf is the exception as I'd need to start from scratch. I've never considered it a compelling long-distance vehicle, being limited by CHAdeMO, but should probably just create a model for it.

As a reference, the minimum incremental times for the Bolt EV and Niro are: 17 and 14 sec/mi respectively.

This kind of discussion really deserves another thread, especially when comparing cars, as it will quickly diverge into many other subtopics. I've been waiting for the SR/+ cars to demonstrate their "full" V2 capability near 150kW. The current SR/+ profiles are capped at ~100kW and I believe that's an intermediate solution. Fundamentally, I want to see empirical evidence to refine and validate my predicted charging profiles before starting that kind of discussion.

Wow. So assuming a 3.6 second per mile charge rate for the model 3 at peak, that’s 4x quicker than the Niro and 4.7x faster than a Bolt, insane.

I had thought of some charts like this as well, then realized how hard they would be to create. The continuous lines in the previous chart make it easy to generate from my current time-stepped model. To create the charts you're suggesting requires a time-stepped solution for each point on the curve. I'm not explaining this very well but it basically makes it a lot harder to create. In the end, I wasn't convinced it would lead to an easily interpretable chart so didn't pursue it further.

Adding another column (or sets of columns) to your “s/mi” vs “EPA miles in the battery” should be easy. First fill in a row for every EPA mile if the data set doesn’t already have that. This is based on ideal profiles so interpolating between EPA miles should be fine. This might be the “hard part” manually, but interpolating I think should be easy, just “hard” because a bit manual to fill in gaps.

Once you have a row for every EPA mile, add columns for “Seconds (or minutes) to add 10, 25, 50, 100 EPA miles of added range”. Call these col C, D, E, F, where:

Col A = 1, 2, 3, ... 239, 240 mi (SR+)
Col B = time in seconds to add one EPA mile (as in your example chart)
Col C: row 1 is “miles added” e.g. “10”,
row 2..230 is (filled down from cell C2):
=sum($B2:index($B2:$B, C$1, 1))​
Now you can set row 1 col D, E, F as you please with 25, 50, 100, ...
Fill C2 down and across and it should work.

Needs a conditional to avoid quoting impossible charging times like adding 100 miles when less than 100 miles are available to add.

This seems to work in my quick test:
=if(index($B2:$B, C$1, 1)="", "", sum($B2:index($B2:$B, C$1, 1)))​

• Informative
Quick and dirty somewhat useless charts because I actually did them on mobile and can’t get x-axis labels :) ... but you get the idea. I input a few guesstimated data points from your SR+ V2 SC “s/mi vs EPA mi” chart (first chart below) which I used to derive the next chart with time (in minutes) to add 25, 50, or 100 miles of range:
18171B03-ABDA-48F4-8782-DB46D9DD397F.jpeg

AB23394D-EA69-4BBF-942E-641C77BB5579.jpeg

e.g. Read this as, green line, to add 50 miles of range, if starting from 1-90 miles range will take ~6 minutes or less. If starting at 1-40 miles it would take ~12 minutes to add 100 miles.

Sorry for no x-axis labels :)
Blue line crosses 20 minutes at 100 mi and ends at 121. Green line crosses 10 min at 130 mi and ends at 172. Red line crosses 10 min at 187 mi and ends at 196 mi.

EDIT: Added another line for +150mi range (magenta)...

D1FDB29B-EE0D-4868-981C-6BD5E253A626.jpeg

Interesting crosses here, to add 150mi, <30 mi start is ~20 min or less, but >65 mi start starts to exceed 30 min.

This chart kind of quantifies your “time penalty” for arriving at the SC with “too high” SoC :) ... of course if you have higher SoC you may need less charge to reach next hop anyways. Perhaps you could say this quantifies your time penalty for choosing your personal comfort level of bottom cushion to arrive at SC.

For a long trip, if making 150 mile hops, if you are okay with targeting 30mi arrival, you will charge 20min per hop. If you are more comfortable with 65mi arrival targets, that comfort will cost you an extra 10 min per hop.

If you are making 30+ minute pit stops anyways then the extra comfort cushion is free. I see these charts being useful anyways for this kind of analysis.

Last edited:
In the same vein as partly useless, no x-axis, and now no line legend(!) mobile-generated charts ... :D

I present a chart of miles added in 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes based on starting SoC:
(Blue 5 min, red 10 min, yellow 15 min, green 20 min)

3233598D-F302-44F6-A2E3-B9CB7D8611F2.jpeg

e.g. blue line shows 50 miles added in 5 minutes from low SoC.

• Funny