Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Supercharging.. wagers on first Canadian location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The minimum v3 site is 4 stalls served by 1 cabinet @ 1MW total - which is insane. Given the old form factor was 145kW for 2 stalls, my guess is that the footprint of Supercharger sites (charging spaces and especially cabinets) will shrink by 3x.

Given this rather large MVP site, and the extra demand charges they will incur should these sites get built without batteries, they'll be limited to areas that have consistently high demand for charging. Cold, dense urban areas, at a crossroads. I think this rules out Atlantic Canada for now, but one can hope for Woodstock. I'm doubtful.

My top pick in the GTA is Mississauga - probably the most underserved and high traffic area in the GTA.

And Saint Sauveur, QC - big demand here in the winter for skiers, and in the summer for cottage goers. If we look at the coverage north of the GTA for cottage country, Montreal needs to catch up. And their power is as green as it gets.

V3 Chargers make a lot of sense for large lonely stretches of road where you want to energize and leave quite quickly. Be prepared for the Tier 3 charge rate cost however; the infrastructure requirements for these are ridiculous and with Tesla already experiencing financial troubles, the only way they make this work long term is a new premium tier.

Will all SCs in the future be V3 or will we continue to see a combination of various types? And are the V2 SCs the "urban" type that we see in locations like the Eaton Centre, Rideau Centre, etc?
My guess: once fully validated, all new SC sites will use V3 architecture. But given the power required, and the demand charges, it will be common for power sharing to be in place at the site level, limiting output. IMHO as long as Tesla remains cash strapped, we won't see many batteries or solar at SC sites.

Reactions: MTL_HABS1909
A few blocks from my house - that would be nice.

Actually, I could see somewhere along the Montreal-Toronto route, but I suspect it'll some other heavily commuted route. Even though I'm nowhere near it, I would think a good target would be between Calgary and Edmonton just to help make a point against oil. I can imagine the storm if it were put up in For McMurray although I don't think it would get a lot of usage.

• Funny
Reactions: pmich80