Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V3 Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla quietly update their online store to Version 3 of the Wall Connector. See the description page below with emphasis of changes in bold and my notes in (italicized brackets).

Description
Charge at home, anytime. Tesla Wall Connector provides a full charge overnight for every homeowner. With customized power settings, the lightweight design allows for versatile indoor/outdoor use, including a range of electrical systems and mounting options.

Monitor your charge with the Tesla app and receive notifications when complete. Wi-Fi connectivity enables over-the-air firmware updates and remote service if necessary. Tesla Wall Connector offers the best home charging experience for any Tesla owner.

Features
  • Up to 44 miles of range per hour of charge
  • Compatible with Model S, Model X and Model 3
  • Up to 11.5 kW / 48 amp output (old model supported up to 100 amp circuit)
  • Customizable power levels on a range of circuit breakers
  • Compatible with any home electrical system
  • Wi-Fi connectivity (2.4 GHz 802.11 b/g/n)
  • Approved for indoor and outdoor installation
  • Lightweight 18’ cable length (Older model 8.5' or 24' cable)
  • Tempered white glass faceplate (I believe the old model was plastic)

The installation page includes updated manuals and a video.

Yes, a V3 has a lower output than a V2. V2 has a maximum output of 80A. However, few Teslas can take advantage of a V2’s max output.

59A747A3-3386-4437-9F47-C4B75AA73CF1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Right now, the wall connector only uses the WiFi for firmware updates (and changing the amps). I wonder what future plans there are for the WiFi connectivity? As for normal EVSEs, having WiFi enables some useful reporting for EVs with limited/nonexistent connectivity. But what's the point with a Tesla?

Also, I'm a little surprised they limited the amps to just 48. I was kind of presuming that Roadster v2 and Cybertruck would have larger on-board chargers?

Right now, the wall connector only uses the WiFi for firmware updates (and changing the amps). I wonder what future plans there are for the WiFi connectivity? As for normal EVSEs, having WiFi enables some useful reporting for EVs with limited/nonexistent connectivity. But what's the point with a Tesla?
I'm going to answer my own question. :) I'm hoping we'll eventually get an auto disconnect when Powerwall detects a grid outage. :)

So I have a V2 that I've yet to install and can return. The question is should I?
Personally, I’d keep a V2 even if mine were not installed. My V2 has the longer cable, has a lower profile against the wall*, and came in black. :D

IMO, the only advantage the V3 has is setting up multiple Wall Connectors via WiFi instead of hardwire. Since we only have 1 Tesla at the moment, multiple Wall Connectors isn’t needed. Any future additional functionality is pure speculation at this point.

* - V2 Wall Connectors have an optional low profile bracket. V3 needs to be installed with a wirebox.

Interested in this thread. We currently have a Tesla V2 20' wall charger installed on a 60A breaker, which we use to charge our M3 LR AWD. I want to prepare a second charging station for the Model Y LR AWD on order. I don't have any spare space on my current breaker box and want to explore options to install the second wall charger on the same 60A circuit. Our average daily mileage on 2 vehicles <100, so I am thinking V3 charger will allow this. I will contact Tesla support for advice. What is not clear to me at this point is weather I can achieve coordinated charging on 2 vehicles on one 60A circuit with one V2, and one V3. I do like the idea of a lighter cable and for my circumstances don't mind the lower output, although am disappointed in the 5' shorter cable. A longer one would be great especially given it is lighter and likely much easier to handle. Any advice or thought here welcomed. I will post an update once I hear from Tesla support.

Interested in this thread. We currently have a Tesla V2 20' wall charger installed on a 60A breaker, which we use to charge our M3 LR AWD. I want to prepare a second charging station for the Model Y LR AWD on order. I don't have any spare space on my current breaker box and want to explore options to install the second wall charger on the same 60A circuit. Our average daily mileage on 2 vehicles <100, so I am thinking V3 charger will allow this. I will contact Tesla support for advice. What is not clear to me at this point is weather I can achieve coordinated charging on 2 vehicles on one 60A circuit with one V2, and one V3. I do like the idea of a lighter cable and for my circumstances don't mind the lower output, although am disappointed in the 5' shorter cable. A longer one would be great especially given it is lighter and likely much easier to handle. Any advice or thought here welcomed. I will post an update once I hear from Tesla support.

Each V3 charger requires a dedicated breaker, but those can range from 15-60A. If you don't have a spot for the additional breaker you'll need to have an electrician install a subpanel.

Each V3 charger requires a dedicated breaker, but those can range from 15-60A. If you don't have a spot for the additional breaker you'll need to have an electrician install a subpanel.

I think this is temporary and they will be able to share a circuit like the v2's eventually.At least I hope so. If not, I need to go buy a v2.

The Wall Connector provides the capability to wire 4 Wall Connectors to a single circuit with automatic load management, giving vehicle owners reassurance that they can charge multiple vehicles at home (refer to Appendix B: Optional Connection for Load Sharing on page 30).

Last edited:
Ultimately I actually decided to return the V2 I had and instead got the V3. The V2 required separate communication wires to coordinate power sharing on the circuit. The V3 capability will be enabled via future firmware updates update. But since I only need one charging unit atm, and the future capability would come onboard later, I decided to go with the V3. Part of the issue was also related to trying to explain all this power sharing stuff to an inspector, and justify a 100 amp breaker for a 48 amp load, etc.

Reactions: Rocky_H