Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4.1 - can't charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
Updated to v4.1 today and now car is reporting unable to charge. I unplugged and plugged back in but port turns red again. Anyone else on v4.1 seeing this or do I have a special case?

EDIT: I seem to have narrowed it, and it's related to the 12V systems in the car and some behavior in v4.1. The car will charge if I buckle the seat belt and leave the door open so that the climate control and entertainment systems continue to run. It seems almost as if the car stops charging when the 12V battery is full (or reaches some other threshold).

Last edited:
Well, crap then. My car tries to charge, goes up to 40A, runs for 3 minutes or so, then goes to 9v, 1A and then charge port shows red with "Car Unable to Charge" / "Contact Tesla Service". Guess I'm calling them on Monday. I'll try unplugging / replugging the UMC and rebooting the screens next.

Well, crap then. My car tries to charge, goes up to 40A, runs for 3 minutes or so, then goes to 9v, 1A and then charge port shows red with "Car Unable to Charge" / "Contact Tesla Service". Guess I'm calling them on Monday. I'll try unplugging / replugging the UMC and rebooting the screens next.

Do you have a 110V outlet you can try it on with your UMC and the adapter? Sometime charging issues are related to the UMC cable itself. Haven't had any problems charging with v4.1 yet.

Okay, here are the full details...

I got in the car this morning, was at a full standard charge, 232 miles range, notice that I had an upgrade. I deferred the upgrade to 2 am. Drove to the store and came back, 186 rated miles left. Plugged the car in and it started charging. I told it to "upgrade now" and it started the process of upgrading. I came back to the car later to find a blue charge port. After confirming the upgrade (release notes were shown). I unplugged and re-inserted the plug. The car started charging, ramped up to 40A.

I came back to the car 15 minutes later and the port was red. I tried unpluggiing and re-inserting, it did the same (started charging, then cancelled). I drove the car another 20 miles to the bowling alley and back, and then plugged in and it did the same thing again.

I unplugged the UMC from the power outlet and the car, allowed it to settle, then plugged it back in, same thing.
I rebooted both screens then plugged in the UMC again, same thing.

Cinergi's "reboot the whole car" is a known procedure to me. No dice.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. I will try a 120V charge to see what happens.
EDIT: I put the house on generator backup to ensure it wasn't a utility problem. 120V charging doesn't work either, goes green for 3 seconds then immediately to red.

It can see the voltage, it can ramp up the charge, so I don't think it's the UMC -- I hear the contactor in it clicking...

Last edited:
282887_4554582235866_48706187_n.jpg

Do you hear the thunks when you try to open it? Another person or two were able to pry it open after the thunks, which indicate the magnet has released the door.

yep, was gonna say, may just be extra sticky, or low-tension spring.. after clicking the button on umc or pressing open port, if you hear the unlock click, try just to pry it open w your fingertip.. may actually just work. if it does, do it a few times, might unstick whatever is stuck..... not to get too technical. :)

I think I figured it out, and it's likely related to 12V systems in the car and behavior changed in v4.1. A few more minutes and I'll edit this post with my findings...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... if I buckle the driver's seat belt and leave the door open so that the radio, climate control, etc. remain on, the car keeps charging. A few minutes after I turn off this load and close the doors, the charging stops...

I think I figured it out, and it's likely related to 12V systems in the car and behavior changed in v4.1. A few more minutes and I'll edit this post with my findings...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... if I buckle the driver's seat belt and leave the door open so that the radio, climate control, etc. remain on, the car keeps charging. A few minutes after I turn off this load and close the doors, the charging stops...

That sounds like a terrible work around. I hope they get that bug fixed quickly. Though at least I now know how to keep the radio on for parties in the park.

GL, fingers crossed for you.