TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

V4.1 - can't charge?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by FlasherZ, Dec 22, 2012.

1. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

#1 FlasherZ, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Updated to v4.1 today and now car is reporting unable to charge. I unplugged and plugged back in but port turns red again. Anyone else on v4.1 seeing this or do I have a special case?

EDIT: I seem to have narrowed it, and it's related to the 12V systems in the car and some behavior in v4.1. The car will charge if I buckle the seat belt and leave the door open so that the climate control and entertainment systems continue to run. It seems almost as if the car stops charging when the 12V battery is full (or reaches some other threshold).

2. DaveVa

DaveVa Sig Perf #236 VIN #484

I was charging during the update - it coninued charging after the update.

3. ibcs

ibcs Member

I was able to charge after the 4.1 update. Only difference I see so far is a warning for cold battery to use the Tesla Mobile App to pre-warm the batteries.

4. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

LOL, a warning to use an app that's not out yet? ;-)

5. Vger

Vger Active Member

Ah, but maybe it's one more indication that the app is just around the corner! We can hope...

6. kitk

kitk Model S P85 - VIN#2589

Seems odd that there are features you can only access via the remote app. They should allow you to start the battey prewarm from the main touchscreen as well.

7. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I just upgraded to 4.1. Guess I need to go plug it in and see if it charges. I don't see anything in the app about pre-warming the battery.....opps....uh... App? What app?

8. FlasherZ

Well, crap then. My car tries to charge, goes up to 40A, runs for 3 minutes or so, then goes to 9v, 1A and then charge port shows red with "Car Unable to Charge" / "Contact Tesla Service". Guess I'm calling them on Monday. I'll try unplugging / replugging the UMC and rebooting the screens next.

9. strider

strider Active Member

Yep. I think Cinergi knows of a way to do a full reboot of the entire car so maybe that will help too.

10. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I just went to the garage and tried changing. It seems to work fine on 4.1.

11. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Do you have a 110V outlet you can try it on with your UMC and the adapter? Sometime charging issues are related to the UMC cable itself. Haven't had any problems charging with v4.1 yet.

12. FlasherZ

#12 FlasherZ, Dec 22, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
    Okay, here are the full details...

I got in the car this morning, was at a full standard charge, 232 miles range, notice that I had an upgrade. I deferred the upgrade to 2 am. Drove to the store and came back, 186 rated miles left. Plugged the car in and it started charging. I told it to "upgrade now" and it started the process of upgrading. I came back to the car later to find a blue charge port. After confirming the upgrade (release notes were shown). I unplugged and re-inserted the plug. The car started charging, ramped up to 40A.

I came back to the car 15 minutes later and the port was red. I tried unpluggiing and re-inserting, it did the same (started charging, then cancelled). I drove the car another 20 miles to the bowling alley and back, and then plugged in and it did the same thing again.

I unplugged the UMC from the power outlet and the car, allowed it to settle, then plugged it back in, same thing.
    I rebooted both screens then plugged in the UMC again, same thing.

Cinergi's "reboot the whole car" is a known procedure to me. No dice.

At this point, I'm out of ideas. I will try a 120V charge to see what happens.
    EDIT: I put the house on generator backup to ensure it wasn't a utility problem. 120V charging doesn't work either, goes green for 3 seconds then immediately to red.

It can see the voltage, it can ramp up the charge, so I don't think it's the UMC -- I hear the contactor in it clicking...

13. FlasherZ

14. William3

William3 Member

I can't charge either, but it's because my chargeport door is stuck closed and won't open.

15. Tommy

Tommy Member

Just trying to be helpful.... Do you have the FOB in hand or near the car; I don't think the port door will open without that condition present. Apologies if you have tried this already.

16. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Do you hear the thunks when you try to open it? Another person or two were able to pry it open after the thunks, which indicate the magnet has released the door.

17. dtich

dtich #P708

yep, was gonna say, may just be extra sticky, or low-tension spring.. after clicking the button on umc or pressing open port, if you hear the unlock click, try just to pry it open w your fingertip.. may actually just work. if it does, do it a few times, might unstick whatever is stuck..... not to get too technical. :)

18. FlasherZ

I think I figured it out, and it's likely related to 12V systems in the car and behavior changed in v4.1. A few more minutes and I'll edit this post with my findings...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok... if I buckle the driver's seat belt and leave the door open so that the radio, climate control, etc. remain on, the car keeps charging. A few minutes after I turn off this load and close the doors, the charging stops...

19. Longhorn92

Longhorn92 MS VIN #10103 (40 kWh)

v4.1 sure does sound interesting.

20. Liz G

Liz G P03056

That sounds like a terrible work around. I hope they get that bug fixed quickly. Though at least I now know how to keep the radio on for parties in the park.

GL, fingers crossed for you.