Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V4 superchargers Netherlands

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla’s V4 supercharger in Netherlands opened in March. Has longer cable and max power output of 600kw. Also the Tesla letters lights up to make it more visible. So I understand all the Kia EV 6 can now charge from 10-80 in 11 mts, impressive!

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Tesla’s V4 supercharger in Netherlands opened in March. Has longer cable and max power output of 600kw. Also the Tesla letters lights up to make it more visible. So I understand all the Kia EV 6 can now charge from 10-80 in 11 mts, impressive!

Where's the Kia stat from?

As others have said before, this is all speculation. The fact that the stalls are rated for 1000V 615A does not mean they are actually supplying that. We would need to see the ratings plates on the cabinets to get some idea of what they're capable of.

EDIT: And I'm deeply sceptical of the 615kW claim. Even if it is capable of supply 1000V and capable of supplying 615A, it's highly unlikely to be capable of doing both of those at the same time.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MP3Mike and GSP
Unless I'm wrong, in any case, all this capacity cannot ever be used on our current vehicles, which are on a 400V architecture.
The current max charge rate of 250kW offered by V3 SuC are already pushing this to the limit, alongside the max Amps capacity of the CCS2 connector (around 500A)
So any >250kW, including this possible 600kW rate, is most likely reserved for a future vehicle, which will most likely be on a 800V architecture.

There's an additional article from T3 that mentions the Kia charging speeds:

The Tesla 615kW Supercharger could be a game-changer for EVs

Very interesting ... and all very welcome ... however, I was hoping for some actual charging times whereas the Model S and Kia times mentioned just appear to be back of a fag packet calculations/estimations unfortunately. BTW the rated 1000V is not to do with the output voltage ... in fact that 1000V rated figure is the same for V3 chargers if you look at their specification plates. (The rated amperage figure is much higher than V3 but again this is a rating.)

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Medved_77
As others have said before, this is all speculation. The fact that the stalls are rated for 1000V 615A does not mean they are actually supplying that. We would need to see the ratings plates on the cabinets to get some idea of what they're capable of.

EDIT: And I'm deeply sceptical of the 615kW claim. Even if it is capable of supply 1000V and capable of supplying 615A, it's highly unlikely to be capable of doing both of those at the same time.
Did you not see the rating plate next to the picture?

I think you may be confusing a rating plate with the output. EDIT: real life ouput ... i.e. not 615kW ... and none are charging at 1000v ... it will vary from vehicle to vehicle depending on architecture ... so we need actual instances of vehicles charging on these new V4 stalls.

Last edited:
You are confusing the max theoretical output of the charger with whatever connected to it can draw.

i.e: you can plug an old iphone into one of those newer 60W fast-charge power adapters, but it will still charge at 5W...

Indeed ... those numbers can be taken to mean that the stall shouldn't catch fire so long as one of those parameters isn't exceeded!

Very interesting ... and all very welcome ... however, I was hoping for some actual charging times whereas the Model S and Kia times mentioned just appear to be back of a fag packet calculations/estimations unfortunately. BTW the rated 1000V is not to do with the output voltage ... in fact that 1000V rated figure is the same for V3 chargers if you look at their specification plates. (The rated amperage figure is much higher than V3 but again this is a rating.)
It is still limited to 250Kw now but open to non-Tesla’s. So the charging times may not be different to what we have here at the moment. But I think it is a start and a good one too!

So, Teslas charge at 250KW max, is there an literature that shows this is the maximum the cars hardware can handle (and not just the V3 supercharger)? Is this explicitly stated anywhere other than just common knowledge of what V3 can do?

So, Teslas charge at 250KW max, is there an literature that shows this is the maximum the cars hardware can handle (and not just the V3 supercharger)? Is this explicitly stated anywhere other than just common knowledge of what V3 can do?
Reading this might help -

The verge article feels much more accurate than T3.

The dispensers are capable of more power, but the power electronics ("Big cabinets which actually make the power") match the V3. The main advantage right now is longer cables. Maybe there will be some v4 power electronics at some point, but I doubt it gets retrofitted to this site.
If Tesla are serious about third party charging, it'd make sense to offer
- High current for 400v class vehicles (Eg Teslas)
- High voltage for 800v class vehicles (Eg Hyundai / Kia / Porsche) ("Coming soon (TM"), maybe)

Unlikely you'd max out both parameters at the same time. And the v3/v4 chargers which "pales in comparison" to the 350kw fastned will actually charge a 400v architecture car quicker than the fastned.

Re max charging speeds on current vehicles - well, I think we've rarely seen it even hit the 250kw limit except for 30 seconds with a 5% battery and precharging. Possible software could be updated to allow higher power, or indeed restrict from the current power.

Reactions: MP3Mike and GSP
As I mentioned, it is documented that the CCS2 connector in Europe is rated at around 600Amps max (and mostly for the liquid cooled ones, 615A as per the V4 SuC plate then)
Given that current Teslas operate at a 400V architecture, that's 615(A) x 400(V) = hence those 246kW (250kW to round it up). So that's would be your limitation.
On a 800V architecture though, this can be doubled to 492kW.. Let's call it 500kW for marketing purposes.

Regarding battery health, you should turn to C-rates. A typical 80kWh Tesla battery is therefore rated at 200Ah. Above 1C it is generally accepted that you are accelerating battery degradation, so that's why charging our current batteries at anything above the current V3 superchargers would most likely toast them in the long run.

• Informative
Reactions: AS9.9.
Have not seen any chargers go beyond 350 kW, and as far as I know a Taycan (under the right conditions, temp, SoC) will pull around 270 kW.

Tesla ultimately will be limited by current handling on the 400/500v nominal architecture. At some point they will need to leap to a higher voltage to keep pace on the power input levels - I thought the fated semi was supposed to be a high voltage architecture on the megachargers.

1. The rating plate doesn't mention 615kW. That is highly likely to be uninformed conjecture resulting from someone simply multiplying 1000V by 615A. Rapid chargers generally don't work like that. Generally there is also a maximum power, which is less than the product of max voltage and max current - meaning that the full current is general only available when the voltage demanded by the car is lower.

2. I have a suspicion (I could be wrong, though) that the rating plate in the photo is for the stall, not the cabinet - the cabinet rating plate would surely mention the AC input, too - as well as the max power. The fact that the stall is capable of handling those voltages and currents safely does not tell you what the cabinets Tesla is currently deploying are capable of supplying.