Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V5 - How long?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car a week or two before you, and my v5 arrived within a week or so.

Thanks. I might wait another week and bug the DVLA again.

Interestingly if I enter my reg on the DVLA site it says they can't continue to do the application for a replacement logbook online.

2020-10-26_14-48-58.png

Best,

Mike

If its the first one after a new purchase everything is electronic so it should have been less than a week.
try putting your reg in here:
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
if it shows up then everything has been processed correctly and it may be that your V5 got lost in the post sadly.
If you send the DVLA anything on paper you could wait months since their processing capacity is down due to Covid and social distancing etc.The DVLA has just launched an online service to get a replacement V5.if you do have to use a replacement then use that do not send them the V62 paper form you will be waiting for months.
Not sure how long you have to wait before you can use the service after buying a new car. Try putting in your reg. and see what it says:
GOV.UK - What has happened to your vehicle log book (V5C)?

• Helpful
Reactions: OneTinyFish
For anyone else with this issue;

Call the DVLA on 0300 790 6802. There is 3 minutes worth of menu to go through. They state on the IVR/recording that there are fewer people in the office at the moment due to social distancing and that you should only stay on hold if your enquiry is urgent.

Great :/

If its the first one after a new purchase everything is electronic so it should have been less than a week.
try putting your reg in here:
https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
if it shows up then everything has been processed correctly and it may be that your V5 got lost in the post sadly.

That's interesting, thanks. Yes, this service above has been working for a while (shortly before delivery of the car). Prior to that it wasn't returning anything for the reg so it does look like the car's registered (and taxed!).

If you send the DVLA anything on paper you could wait months since their processing capacity is down due to Covid and social distancing etc.The DVLA has just launched an online service to get a replacement V5.if you do have to use a replacement then use that do not send them the paper form.
Not sure how long you have to wait before you can use the service after buying a new car. Try putting in your reg. and see what it says:
GOV.UK - What has happened to your vehicle log book (V5C)?

Yes, their phone systems suggest a very long wait if anything is posted to them. The replacement V5 form (V62) says to wait 4 weeks for the V5 before posting it.

Best,

Mike

Thanks. I might wait another week and bug the DVLA again.

Interestingly if I enter my reg on the DVLA site it says they can't continue to do the application for a replacement logbook online.

View attachment 602549

Best,

Mike
The error page is the same if your vehicle is not eligible or if there is a technial error so it may be that it is too soon to use the service or it could be there is a problem with the service so I would try it again in a few days rather than use the paper form.

Edit: Actually you can't use the service for the Isle of Man so if that is where your car is registered that service is a no go for you sadly

The error page is the same if your vehicle is not eligible or if there is a technial error so it may be that it is too soon to use the service or it could be there is a problem with the service so I would try it again in a few days rather than use the paper form.

I'm on hold at the moment, so if I can speak to them I will - but yes, 100% prefer to use the online form.

Paper has a way of ... going missing at inopportune times!

Thanks Jason!

I'm on hold at the moment, so if I can speak to them I will - but yes, 100% prefer to use the online form.

Paper has a way of ... going missing at inopportune times!

Thanks Jason!
don't know if you saw my edit but if you are Isle of Man the service does not work for you :

When you cannot use this service
You cannot use this service if:
  • your vehicle is registered abroad, including the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey), Isle of Man or Ireland

In your Tesla account you should be able to see the confirmation of registration with the DVLA under “glovebox”. (At least you can check the address and name is all correct).

My V5 turned up a few days after the car - but wouldn’t worry to much for another week or two it’s probably somewhere between the printer and your local postie :)

I got my Model 3 on 22nd September and I haven't had a V5 either. I can't see a 'Glovebox' on tesla.com or the app.

My car is leased, maybe I don't have it. I'm sure they have my correct address though, the car was delivered to my door :)
finance companies generally make themselves the keeper in which case you won't get a V5c They will hold it since they own the car. Its wrong really since the "keeper" is not the owner. Keeper is the person who actually holds the car according to DVLA but companies don't care. They just want to make sure you can't sell the car out from under them which is pretty hard to do without a V5

• Informative
Reactions: OneTinyFish
finance companies generally make themselves the keeper in which case you won't get a V5c They will hold it since they own the car. Its wrong really since the "keeper" is not the owner. Keeper is the person who actually holds the car according to DVLA but companies don't care. They just want to make sure you can't sell the car out from under them which is pretty hard to do without a V5

Mine is with a lease with Tesla finance. I asked them about whether I get the V5 or not last week and the reply was:

Thank you for reaching out to us.
I can confirm that Tesla will receive and retain the V5C document.

Should you require a copy of this, please submit an email requesting a copy and the reason for the copy being issued.

Mine is with a lease with Tesla finance. I asked them about whether I get the V5 or not last week and the reply was:

Thank you for reaching out to us.
I can confirm that Tesla will receive and retain the V5C document.

Should you require a copy of this, please submit an email requesting a copy and the reason for the copy being issued.
Well if they give you a copy you can use the v5 doc number to do a change of address and or keeper and get a new v5 sent to you instead:D