Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V6.0 Owner's Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks! Usually there's an email when something new gets posted to My Tesla; must have missed it.

The Cruise Control section of this new v6.0 manual still doesn't mention the fact that moving the cruise control level up will continue to accelerate long after you let go of the lever, until you reach a +5 mph increase in speed from where you started. Freaked me out the first time I used it, as I thought it was going to keep accelerating right into the back of the truck ahead of me. There's a 1 mph increment as well, but you have to barely tap the stalk to get that behavior, and it isn't documented. The wording specifically says "move the cruise control lever up (increase) or down (decrease) until your desired speed is reached." To me, that sounds like you should be able to take your hand off the lever once you reach the desired speed to maintain that speed, but unfortunately it doesn't behave that way. Hopefully this will get clarified in a future update.

Thanks! Usually there's an email when something new gets posted to My Tesla; must have missed it.

The Cruise Control section of this new v6.0 manual still doesn't mention the fact that moving the cruise control level up will continue to accelerate long after you let go of the lever, until you reach a +5 mph increase in speed from where you started. Freaked me out the first time I used it, as I thought it was going to keep accelerating right into the back of the truck ahead of me. There's a 1 mph increment as well, but you have to barely tap the stalk to get that behavior, and it isn't documented. The wording specifically says "move the cruise control lever up (increase) or down (decrease) until your desired speed is reached." To me, that sounds like you should be able to take your hand off the lever once you reach the desired speed to maintain that speed, but unfortunately it doesn't behave that way. Hopefully this will get clarified in a future update.

I think the increase is at 5mph increments of speed. That is to say if you are cruising at 37mph and select the cruise control lever at the second click, it would move the speed to 40mph and then if you did it again it would move it to 45mph.

A slight movement of the cruise lever up or down and then releasing it produces +\- 1mph changes in speed. To change +\- 5mph requires moving the lever up or down until it stops.

As far as I know it has always worked that way. I thought this was explained in the manual, which I read many weeks before taking delivery. I will have to take another look.

A slight movement of the cruise lever up or down and then releasing it produces +\- 1mph changes in speed. To change +\- 5mph requires moving the lever up or down until it stops.

As far as I know it has always worked that way. I thought this was explained in the manual, which I read many weeks before taking delivery. I will have to take another look.
From what I was told on the TM forum, it used to be explained in older versions of the Quick Start guide. However, recent versions of the QS guide and the manual (I got 5.9 with my car) have been updated and there is no mention of the 1 mph / 5 mph positions.

Last edited: