Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7.1 beta testing begins (Driver Mode, Self Parking, AP restrictions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like v7.1 beta testing has begun.

Source

We recently reported on Tesla starting to push new Autopilot restrictions to some Model S owners last Sunday – about a month after Tesla CEO Elon Musk warned of upcoming constraints to limit some potentially dangerous use of the Autopilot as seen in videos posted online.

The Model S owners reporting on forums having received the update with new Autopilot restrictions have quickly removed their posts. We now learn through sources with knowledge of matter that Tesla started testing the new version 7.1 of its software with a select group of Model S owners this week.

The new update includes UI improvements, a new self-parking feature, ‘Driver Mode’ and Autopilot restrictions.The v7.1 user interface allows the driver to visualize on the dashboard the vehicles detected by the Autopilot on each lane and not only on the one the Model S is driving. The vehicle animations now include trucks and motorcycles instead of just cars.

Tesla introduced ‘Autopark’ in its v7.0 update in October, but the wide release of the feature currently requires the driver to be in the car and only works for parallel parking. In the beta v7.1, the company added the ability to use Autopark in parking spaces perpendicular to the curb, but under the current version being tested, the driver still need to be in the front seat.

No Model S driving itself in the garage … yet.

Update: v7.1 beta also includes a new feature to open your garage door automatically via HomeLink, which could be a precursor to summoning the car/Autopark from outside the vehicle feature.

In beta v7.1, Tesla is also introducing a new ‘Driver Mode’ to be activated when only a driver is using the vehicle, which lets only the driver side door handle to automatically extend when approaching the vehicle.
We don’t know when Tesla plans to release v7.1, but the previous beta update was first released to early testers in mid-August and the wide release happened in mid-October. The wait should presumably be shorter for v7.1 since the new update features significantly fewer changes than v7.0.

Hoping for release in mid January.

Last edited:
I'm curious, what's the requirement for "driver mode"? Is it a personal safety thing or something? As you might guess, I couldn't care less whether all four of my handles extend or not.

It might cut back on moments like these depending on timing...
I'm used to having Tesla moments: my MC Red P85D is my third Tesla and it still turns heads, particularly since there aren't that many on the road here in Colorado. Yesterday, I was waiting on the sidewalk for my wife to pick me up in the S, so when I saw the familiar red Tesla pull up to the curb in front of me I stepped forward, opened the passenger door and started to get in. A disembodied voice floated up from the driver's seat...a man's voice: "Can I help you?" Confused, I bent down to peer into the cabin and was met by a quizzical look on the face of a perfect stranger.

It wasn't my car. :biggrin:

I explained my mistake, we had a good laugh and I held the door for his wife, who walked up while we were talking. Turns out they're on their third Tesla, too, and awaiting a fourth.

I'm curious, what's the requirement for "driver mode"? Is it a personal safety thing or something? As you might guess, I couldn't care less whether all four of my handles extend or not.
You don't mind if homeless people enter your car from the other side when you're travelling and have to make a stop somewhere?