Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7.1 beta testing begins (Driver Mode, Self Parking, AP restrictions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible the nag is based on a confidence level. If the car becomes less confident about what it is seeing but still believes things to be safe it checks to make sure you are ready to take over.

Based on my experience, the time based nag works like this:

1) On roads with curves the car can detect whether or not your hands are on the wheel because of the torque they apply
2) On straight roads the car either cannot detect it or ignores it
3) When the car is looking for hand torque (such as on curvy roads or possibly other sub-optimal conditions), a timer is started and continues to count down while the car is in the mode of looking for torque. The timer pauses if you re-enter a clear road with no curves and continues when you hit curves again. When it expires, the nag pops up. At any point you can forcibly apply torque to the wheel and reset it. This reset works on straight road, curvy road, when the nag is on screen, or before it pops up.

I just did a long road trip and the time interval was very predictable through curves...I should have used a stopwatch to get some hard data :) On straight roads I can drive for a longggggg time with no nag but curves definitely trigger a predictable nag. For you SW guys out there, you can almost see the code for this - it's a great way of minimizing the intrusion to the driver when not needed.

Anyhow, that's just my experience in my car...YMMV.

That's one way to describe a time-based nag.... though most people would disagree that the situation (especially what I bolded) is a time-based nag. That's more of a location/situation based nag, which I agree 100% the Tesla has.

A good way for you to test it:
1. Hit small curve (your timer starts, let's assume the curve takes 2 seconds), drive straight 10 miles, hit larger curve (your timer continues). Let's assume that the nag pops up 3 seconds into the larger curve
2. Redo #1, starting from the drive straight 10 miles, hit larger curve (your timer starts, not continues). If the nag pops up 3 seconds into the larger curve, it's not time based. If the nag pops up 5 seconds into the curve, then your idea of how it works is correct.

I don't think it works like this, I think the nag will go off in the exact same location on the curve (assuming all other variables being roughly equal, and this can be taken into account by enough data points).

(yada yada, repeat experiment multiple times until a statistically significant data size is collected)

- - - Updated - - -

No time based nag. However if you ignore the hold nag for whatever reason it pops up the car CAN nag you until you actually touch the wheel.

Can? I've never seen the nag go away on it's own, unless you touch the wheel.

I forget the sequence of events, but it's something like
Nag on IC
Nag on IC and chime
Nag on IC and continuous chime while car slows down

Once the nag on IC shows up, the only way to get rid of it is to apply torque to the wheel.

It's not a time based nag. The car nags if it's confidence level drops beyond a certain point. I've gone 40+ miles without a nag, and other times half a mile. It depends on the road, the turning radius, sun glare, etc etc.
I did not know there were 3 levels of nag: Take the wheel now, put you hands on the wheel due to AP confidence, and time based nagging.

The one I see that I tough was time based is fairly subtle with no sense of urgency, so I did not think it was from a lack of confidence. I'll check the color of the lane marking lines next time to see if they are blue, grey or missing. Last time I saw it, I was diving North, going straight, but I did not note the lane visibility.

No. It's not what we see from the leaked screenshots. 45 mph appears to be the upper limit.

It's hard to tell from the two leaked screenshots, though I think you are correct.

The other way to interpret the screenshots, AP slows at some curves and on some roads TODAY on v7, maybe the screenshots shows the indicator that will display when AP slows instead of the driving thinking "WTF is going on?".

The screenshots (unless I missed something) don't tell you "hey, you can't use AP here at all, I'm about to turn off" they just say "AP restricted, car is slowing". Slowing could be going form 55mph to 45mph during the turn, and then back to 55mph after the turn is done.

No. It's not what we see from the leaked screenshots. 45 mph appears to be the upper limit.

Hmm, ok, perhaps I'm wrong. Time will tell. Making it above 45 only made sense to me as it implies highway driving, which is what the current system is designed for.

My record thus far is around 40 miles without touching the wheel. NJ turnpike. This included some shallow curves. Tighter curves is what usually triggers the nag.

Even limiting minimum speed to 45mph is bad. I'm using AP in bumper-to-bumper traffic all the time.
For such a limiter, I believe the theory is that setting the limit higher (60mph rather than 45mph) doesn't really impact TACC when you're actually in bumper-to-bumper and, as such, would be the way to enable Autosteer in such cases.

Author of the article here. Just thought I'll let you know that I updated the article with an important bit of info I inadvertently left out at first:

"Update: v7.1 beta also includes a new feature to open your garage door automatically via HomeLink, which could be a precursor to summoning the car/Autopark from outside the vehicle feature."

Author of the article here. Just thought I'll let you know that I updated the article with an important bit of info I inadvertently left out at first:

"Update: v7.1 beta also includes a new feature to open your garage door automatically via HomeLink, which could be a precursor to summoning the car/Autopark from outside the vehicle feature."

Awesome :)

Let's home that is individually configurable. In my S I have "Home - Nose In" and "Home - Back In" for my two garage doors (one two-car garage with each bay having its own door opener and a center between them). 99% of the time I back in, so I would want that one to auto-open and not the other bay.

Unlikely. Autonomous summoning is just a nightmare waiting to happen. Tesla doesn't have sensors to see what's immediately beside the car. Imagine the outcry if Tesla rides over Fluffy or Fido peacefully sleeping on a driveway.

With respect to the discussion of the driver's door handle only presenting, and homeless people, etc., I just want to add the following. I recall this issue being discussed quite some time ago, and one of the reasons some people wanted this feature was so that they or their spouses would feel safer when approaching their cars in parking lots. The idea that someone could easily get in one of the doors on the passenger side was a concern. I think this new option will be useful to some people, and people who don't want it won't use it. But at least Tesla listened to its customers. We should be appreciative of that fact and encourage that behavior in the future.