Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v7.1 beta testing begins (Driver Mode, Self Parking, AP restrictions)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
they have always been clear on day 1 and in manual and in their many many public statements that autopilot is for highway only, not for residential roads. so there is no bait and switch here. it should never have been allowed to use on local or residential roads in the first place.

FWIW - When I test drove it and the Tesla salesman demonstrated AP to me we were not on a highway. We were on a 2x2 road with a median - but definitely not a highway. IMO selling me the car by showing me how it works on roads that it will no longer work once I own it is a bait and switch.

I'm going to still get the car and then piss and moan online, obviously.

I've been waiting this whole time, installed an outlet in my garage, and mentally prepared for getting a brand new car before Christmas. I will tell my dealership about this and see what they say, if they even know anything about it. But I will likely just be really disappointed in my Tesla buying experience and they will have an unhappy customer. Hopefully the overall driving experience makes up for it.

FWIW - When I test drove it and the Tesla salesman demonstrated AP to me we were not on a highway. We were on a 2x2 road with a median - but definitely not a highway. IMO selling me the car by showing me how it works on roads that it will no longer work once I own it is a bait and switch.

Bait and switch is a bit of a stretch but certainly you never should have had AP demoed on such a road in the first place. That part is indisputable and Tesla really should be making this clear to it's gallery employees...

Jeff

I drove 2 1/2 hours last weekend without touching the wheel one time... No really, not once.

With that said, I hate nags. I'm wrapping my car in tin foil and disabling wifi. I'll have a classic Tesla on Autopilot 1.0 that can drive anywhere.

+1 @cytranic I only get asked to touch the steering wheel at one particular spot on my 40+ mile expressway commute daily. It is the exact same place every day without fail and speed conditions don't matter. No time based nag on the original AP release for me either.

I note that all the people saying that Tesla should restrict autopilot are conveniently ignoring my question of how to determine where to do so... seems they don't like that inconvenient problem...

I don't think AP should be restricted.

But someone already answered your question, restrict it on roads where the speed limit is below let's say 45mph. Perfection is the enemy of good enough.

Hmm now let me see. Did you ever test drive a car and check out the 0-60 on a deserted side street? Or otherwise exceed limit to check out car? C'mon. Buyers are responsible for some common sense.

During my test drive we tried the auto steer on a small non-highway street. Was clearly told it wasn't the intended use, but due to the location of the test drive there was no alternative.

And if they wanted to increase nagging instead of limiting it to 45mph I'd be better with it (but still not happy). Other implementations of lame keeping that have regular nagging allow use on any marked street.

I don't think AP should be restricted.

But someone already answered your question, restrict it on roads where the speed limit is below let's say 45mph. Perfection is the enemy of good enough.
Actually, no, they didn't answer how Tesla could know if it's a divided highway because they completely ignored a whole bunch of evidence that this wouldn't work.
I have a 100km/hr sign near my house on a 4 lane divided highway that the car ALWAYS reads as 10km/hr. I have many times seen the car randomly decide that a 6 lane divided highway has a speed limit of 60km/hr despite all the signs saying either 100km/hr or 110km/hr. There's a 4 lane divided highway near me with a limit of 70km/hr (43mph) meanwhile the highways throughout BC are often 100km/hr even though they are single lane undivided.
So this new feature would provide zero advantage to me, while removing functionality in many known cases where the AP would otherwise be designed to be used.

No thanks.

People have claimed that the current software has a time-based nag. I don't believe them either.

I don't think my car has a time-based nag. It nags me once or twice in my 30 min stretch of using it on the way to/from work on Beltway 8. Most of the time it happens during a curve. I think that's when it senses my hands aren't on the wheel. But I will say it has nagged on straight stretches occasionally, so there could be a timer involved. Hard to be sure exactly how they decide when to nag.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen it a couple ways now, so is AP being restricted to only highway driving? Like a glorified cruise control? Or is it just being restricted on certain roads to a max of 45mph?

I just ordered the car - gets delivered in a week - and a major reason I got the car was because of AP. I want to be able to use it in stop and go traffic. That is a key feature and I specifically asked the dealer about AP being taken away via software upgrades when I test drove the car. I was reassured that it would not happen. I feel like this would be a bait and switch if it is restricted to highway driving only.

Can you describe the road you intend to use it on? It really only works well on the highway. If your sales person said you could use it on curvy two-lane roads with poor lane markings you are not going to be happy with it.

Interesting stuff... I hope the additions to auto park include pulling in forward AND backing in reverse... :)

Jeff

+1 Autoreversing into the garage would be epic. This is a must if my wife is to ever park in the garage again :scared: She's 86ed at the moment.

On a more serious note.. the parking feature should have a "Learn" mechanism, similar to the way robotic arms are taught to paint for example. Manually pull into the garage, get it exactly as you like it on all sides, and press learn! The SW would gather/ingest all hard/fixed surfaces like walls, floor, and ceiling. Next time around, the car would then try to park itself in the same exact (stored) position, warning, aborting or correcting if necessary for newly infringing obstacles.

+1 Autoreversing into the garage would be epic. This is a must if my wife is to ever park in the garage again :scared: She's 86ed at the moment.

On a more serious note.. the parking feature should have a "Learn" mechanism, similar to the way robotic arms are taught to paint for example. Manually pull into the garage, get it exactly as you like it on all sides, and press learn! The SW would gather/ingest all hard/fixed surfaces like walls, floor, and ceiling. Next time around, the car would then try to park itself in the same exact (stored) position, warning, aborting or correcting if necessary for newly infringing obstacles.

This is my guess how it work as well, but you will press learn before you enter the garage, and learning will end when you put the car into park.

I have very little clearance on the sides between the mirrors and the frame of the door. If it doesn't learn, it will undoubtably stop thinking it is getting too close. Alternatively, it could collapse the side mirrors before entering, which I typically don't do today.

Interim measure is to disable auto-present handle. Enhance feature will be selectable auto-present handle.
It mitigates the issue, but it doesn't solve it. There's less time when the other handles present, but they still do present when you activate the one on the driver door.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to still get the car and then piss and moan online, obviously.
Hilarious answer. :)

Making this more complicated will be the fact that if your garage is anything like mine, at any given moment it may be storing things that look just like hard/fixed surfaces to an ultrasonic sensor, but are not actually fixed. A few spare sheets of wallboard, for instance. Or a large package. Or some planks. Here today, gone tomorrow, replaced by something else the next day. The possibilities are endless, and my garage isn't a messy or even cluttered one.

Hardly an insurmountable problem, but probably makes it considerably more interesting to get the feature good enough for prime time.

Given the size of the Model S, I think few people will have garages that the car can "learn", if not empty then certainly after it's full of all the junk people put in garages. The ultrasonics currently cut out at 12" which I find rather useless for parking almost anywhere. I can get closer than that by eye, it's the last few inches that counts.